Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now. | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think what a lot of our fans want is for JB to bring in NBA talents who are good enough to lead SU to great heights but do so over a period of three or four years before peaking, and then leave to have successful careers as lottery picks.

Substitute "2 or 3 years" and you'd be right. It would be nice if kids with real talent waited until they were ready.

Where is the CJ Fair on this team.
Or Demetrius Nichols.
Or Michael Gbinije.

We forced BJ Johnson, Ron Patterson out.
We only have 1 Junior in the rotation in Frank Howard. We will lose players off this rotation.
The problem is the players who keep are unproductive 4’s that the coaching staff doesn’t develop.
What JB said about Tyler Roberson was pathetic the fact Robey never ripped him publicly was amazing.
Now we have Moyer and Dolezaj at the same spot.
Can we recruit some offense please at the 4 position instead of length.
We recruited Lydon and Thompson at the 4 spot in back to back years. We didn’t think both would be gone by now—one leaving after 2 years and one leaving after 1 year. They were both expected to be here for about 2-3 years at least. The early entrants and transfers are killing us.

Substitute "2 or 3 years" and you'd be right. It would be nice if kids with real talent waited until they were ready.
You know what else would work? If JB could just bring in a generational talent and future NBA great every other year or so.

Is that asking too much? Asking for a friend.

We'll be your friend.

fredrogers-690x460-1-580x385.jpg

He should have retired after Rak’s senior year. He didnt, and now its not realistic for him to leave for a few more years. Thats the route the university and him chose, and thats what we are bound to. Theres no point in arguing that he should step down. It wont happen unless its on his own terms.

JB DESERVES the chance to right the direction of the ship. That's right, I said he deserves the right to fix this mess (he built the program from nothing).

However, because of his age (whether he is/feels up to the task or not) IMO no matter what he does, the problem is bigger than JB just amping up his efforts.

The zone defense and offensive issues aside, JB's age is a deterrent for many recruits. Love him or hate him, his fiery sarcastic personality has rubbed the NCAA the wrong way. We ALL KNOW that our sanctions were BS. But I've never seen anyone question whether JB's off the cuff comments have made the penalties worse than if he actually pretended to be remorseful. He doesn't play the game so to speak.

That said, JB is one of the BEST coaches EVER in the history of college basketball. IMO he is a fierce competitor, and a very good man. That's what makes this situation so hard. He has ABSOLUTELY earned the right to retire on HIS terms.! I just wish he had the ability to recognize that this situation isn't fixable unless he knows how to reverse his age. He reminds me of a star athlete that plays a sport too long and doesn't know when to hang up his cleats.

I hope he gets another championship. Couldn't happen to a better coach... I just don't think it's realistic or possible.

HELP IS ON THE WAY!! Let us not forget the starting lineup for this team has 2 freshman (including one that does not speak English as his first language, the point guard is in fact a combo guard, the center is a medical red shirt, the Star Player is player looking for help to just give him an open look. The incoming class is SOLID, JAB is far from done!!

HELP IS ON THE WAY!! Let us not forget the starting lineup for this team has 2 freshman (including one that does not speak English as his first language, the point guard is in fact a combo guard, the center is a medical red shirt, the Star Player is player looking for help to just give him an open look. The incoming class is SOLID, JAB is far from done!!

Next season is his last real chance, IMO. I hope you're right!

JB DESERVES the chance to right the direction of the ship. That's right, I said he deserves the right to fix this mess (he built the program from nothing).

However, because of his age (whether he is/feels up to the task or not) IMO no matter what he does, the problem is bigger than JB just amping up his efforts.

The zone defense and offensive issues aside, JB's age is a deterrent for many recruits. Love him or hate him, his fiery sarcastic personality has rubbed the NCAA the wrong way. We ALL KNOW that our sanctions were BS. But I've never seen anyone question whether JB's off the cuff comments have made the penalties worse than if he actually pretended to be remorseful. He doesn't play the game so to speak.

That said, JB is one of the BEST coaches EVER in the history of college basketball. IMO he is a fierce competitor, and a very good man. That's what makes this situation so hard. He has ABSOLUTELY earned the right to retire on HIS terms.! I just wish he had the ability to recognize that this situation isn't fixable unless he knows how to reverse his age. He reminds me of a star athlete that plays a sport too long and doesn't know when to hang up his cleats.

I hope he gets another championship. Couldn't happen to a better coach... I just don't think it's realistic or possible.
“Never give up. Never!”

If despite all the talent next year, we have a bad season or a season that underperforms, perhaps then Boeheim will make the decision to step aside. He hopes to coach for 4 more years, but it may not be possible. But HE has to make that decision. He is in control. I am not sure this is about his age and I know he would vehemently disagree. We need to wait for next year, imagine great things, and perhaps have some compassion for this year’s team, who have to be feeling as if a freight train has hit them. This is an agonizing situation for all of us. It feels as if we are trembling on the brink. Will we fall or will we soar? Maybe fall, then soar?

For those of us who like to live in the moment, these are challenging moments. Ahem!

“Never give up. Never!”

If despite all the talent next year, we have a bad season or a season that underperforms, perhaps then Boeheim will make the decision to step aside. He hopes to coach for 4 more years, but it may not be possible. But HE has to make that decision. He is in control. I am not sure this is about his age and I know he would vehemently disagree. We need to wait for next year, imagine great things, and perhaps have some compassion for this year’s team, who have to be feeling as if a freight train has hit them. This is an agonizing situation for all of us. It feels as if we are trembling on the brink. Will we fall or will we soar? Maybe fall, then soar?

For those of us who like to live in the moment, these are challenging moments. Ahem!

You sound like Jimmy V... ;)
Good post.

This is what I wrote today in another thread:
The coach has confused his still being able to walk and chew gum at his age with what's best for the program he built. When he continually references what coaches did 40 or more years ago as justification for what he does now, you know you've got a problem.

And I'm an old guy saying that. Believe me, it takes one to know one. If he coaches through Buddy's four years he'll be the oldest coach in D1 history. I would think that there aren't a ton of 18 year old studs just itching to be coached by grandpa.

The coach has confused his still being able to walk and chew gum at his age with what's best for the program he built. When he continually references what coaches did 40 or more years ago as justification for what he does now, you know you've got a problem.

And I'm an old guy saying that. Believe me, it takes one to know one. If he coaches through Buddy's four years he'll be the oldest coach in D1 history. I would think that there aren't a ton of 18 year old studs just itching to be coached by grandpa.

Sadly, I agree that most recruits want a younger coach.

Not even the nice and friendly grandpa either, they get a Gran Torino Eastwood style grandpa.

He didn't "build the program from nothing".
Syracuse Orange Basketball Season Records

But he certainly elevated it to new heights. And I wouldn't judge him by a team that had three players who had played college basketball before this season, two of whom didn't play a lot or very well and a third who was our 4th option last year and became our #1 option this year. And I wouldn't judge them base don how they do again the #2 team in the country or on the road at Louisville.

I do think there is an issue of player retention, (as opposed to recruitment), and the losses to St. Bonaventure, Wake Forest, Notre Dame and Georgia Tech were not helpful.

Sadly, I agree that most recruits want a younger coach.
The exception might be if he was just a figurehead and he let up-and-coming assistants run the show. You can get away with this in football to a greater extent because there is more game-time delegation. Hoops not so much.

He didn't "build the program from nothing".
Syracuse Orange Basketball Season Records

But he certainly elevated it to new heights. And I wouldn't judge him by a team that had three players who had played college basketball before this season, two of whom didn't play a lot or very well and a third who was our 4th option last year and became our #1 option this year. And I wouldn't judge them base don how they do again the #2 team in the country or on the road at Louisville.

I do think there is an issue of player retention, (as opposed to recruitment), and the losses to St. Bonaventure, Wake Forest, Notre Dame and Georgia Tech were not helpful.

I agree he definitely elevated the team to new heights, and deserves all the recognition in the world for it. IMO, however, he absolutely needs to accept responsibility for the situation the team is in today.

Any coach that accepts credit for the success of a program must also accept the credit when the team stumbles.

Sanctions hurt this team and so has lack of depth. Both can be attributed to JB.

That said, as I wrote earlier, I love JB and I want him to go out on top. But I don't give him a free pass.

Regarding recruiting, our problem hasn't been that we can't get good players. The problem is they don't stay. In his last show, JB noted that the top three teams in the country, Villanova, Virginia and Purdue, "have no one and doners". They get their players to stay for four years. The question, then, is how do they do that?

I've said all along that this team would be in the top ten with good health and Tyler Lydon, (who has played for 2 minutes in one game for the Nuggets and had no other stats). Chukwu/Sidibie, Lydon, Brissett, Battle and Howard would have made a heck of a line-up. We wouldn't be demanding that JB "do the right thing" with that group.
Every team can say "it's because we lost player X". THE PROBLEM IS: we haven't recruited an ACC level PG. Trying to turn FRAnk into that player and plugging in Gillon are stop gap fixes......not the answer. I fear similar issues (albeit slightly better w/ incoming talent) next year. Carey is attempting the transition. Let's hope he progresses......

Every team can say "it's because we lost player X". THE PROBLEM IS: we haven't recruited an ACC level PG. Trying to turn FRAnk into that player and plugging in Gillon are stop gap fixes...not the answer. I fear similar issues (albeit slightly better w/ incoming talent) next year. Carey is attempting the transition. Let's hope he progresses...

We lost players X, Y and Z. With Lydon we'd be a Top 10 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom