Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now. | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
His recruiting has fallen off a cliff the last 4-5 seasons. His inability to commit to a firm retirement date is killing the stability of this program. He can't manage a team effectively anymore. The JB of ten years ago would have won 2-3 more games at least with this team and gotten us into the tournament.

Better to leave a year too early than a year too late. He just doesn't have it anymore. And don't tell me that last year's final four run is proof to the contrary. The region absolutely parted like the Red Sea for us when Sparty got upset and it still took two miraculous comebacks in Chicago just to get to Houston. That was a miracle run last March and you'd be absolutely foolish to think that it indicates that the program is stable right now.

Time to say goodbye. It's over, Jim.

Last edited:
His recruiting has fallen off a cliff the last 4-5 seasons. His inability to commit to a firm retirement date is killing the stability of this program. He can't manage a team effectively anymore. The JB of ten years ago would have won 2-3 more games at least with this team and gotten us into the tournament.

Better to leave a year too early than a year too late. He just doesn't have it anymore. And don't tell me that last year's final four run is proof to the contrary. The region absolutely parted like the Red Sea for us when Sparty got upset and it still took two miraculous comebacks in Chicago just to get to Houston. That was a miracle run last March and you'd be absolutely foolish to think that it indicates that the program is stable right now.

Suck up your pride and say goodbye. You're done, Jimmy.

Uh-oh. Someone's pissed.Popcorn and soda

Popcorn and soda
25890726052_29cb554df7_n.jpg

11 sentences. Every one of them conjecture and message board narrative.

11 sentences. Every one of them conjecture and message board narrative.

You're blind if you think recruiting hasn't fallen off. And you're misguided if you don't have concerns about the state of this program. IMO JB retiring this offseason would be the first part of turning this around. There's no reason he should hang on for dear life until he's literally in the grave. He's not getting it done anymore. Point blank.

There no conjecture about any of that. We have over 40 losses in the last three seasons. Not good.

The same people who want Boeheim to step down now will be the ones who want to fire Hop halfway through his first year to offer Jay Wright $7M/yr.
What does this even mean? Oh, so the Syracuse fans who actually want to contend for an ACC Title in our lifetimes?

Maybe Hop is the answer, maybe he isn't. One thing is becoming clear - JB sure as hell isnt.

Is JB stepping down right now really what is best for the program? Personally, I would like to see him get one last season to go out on a high(er) note than the one that he and we are on right now.

As far as recruiting, I know some people follow it much closer than I do, but I wouldn't be surprised if the staff is just as tired of losing our guys after 1 or 2 years as we are, and are simply changing recruiting to go after 4 year players. We can't compete with duke and UK, why pretend that we can? Our best path to success going forward is going the Villanova route. All four years guys with maybe 1 big time recruit every once in a while. It is very obvious that we are struggling to reload every year after losing a guy or 2 early to the draft every season.

No. There are other disloyal pseudo fans here as well.

Yup. So sick of the "unless you love everything JB does, you're a disloyal fan" narrative.

I'm a FAN of Syracuse Basketball first. Not Jim Boeheim. I think sometimes people forget that no one person's bigger than the program. I get it. He built the program. I have immense respect for that. But sometimes the bigger the person, the harder it is to know what to say goodbye.

It's time to say goodbye.

It would be nice to see JB engage himself a bit more in the recruiting. We do seem to be a tad all over the place in how we are evaluating talent.

I mean, the last PG to step foot on campus was Tyler Ennis. That's bonkers. I guess we're recruiting a bunch of SGs who are labeled PGs, but someone should be noticing that in the evaluation process - and they ain't!

The JB of 10 years ago needed a miracle run by some kid from Scranton to not go to the NIT 3 years in a row...oops...

Maybe you meant the JB of 5 years ago? Crap. Lost to 11 seed as a 3.

Or 35? Double-crap. NIT.

30? Triple crap. Navy.

25? Lotsa crap. Richmond.

20? There we go.

JB clearly not infallible. The zone has gotten so complicated that, if you don't have mostly multi-year guys returning, playing it effectively is a problem.

And, in today's college hoops, if you have mostly multi-year guys, chances are they are not elite players.

That is a real problem.

JB's move to the zone was genius. Almost nobody played it. Teams did not know how to attack it.

No longer the case. Lots of teams play zone at least some of the time.

Hope Hop has taken note.

Last edited:
The JB of 10 years ago needed a miracle run by some kid from Scranton to not go to the NIT 3 years in a row...oops...

Maybe you meant the JB of 5 years ago? Or 25?

JB clearly not infallible. The zone has gotten so complicated that, if you don't have mostly multi-year guys returning, playing it effectively is a problem.

And, in today's college hoops, if you have mostly multi-year guys, chances are they are not elite players.

That is a real problem.

Nice, measured, response. Glad you could sift through my obviously frustrated-based first post to engage in the conversation.

It was frustrating to see the program have a dip from 06-08, and it's frustrating now. I'd like our periods of prolonged success to be closer to the ten year mark, not the five year mark. Granted, I'm much younger than many here, and arrived on the Hill in 03-04' only having watched marginal amounts of SU ball prior to that. (2003 NCAAs notwithstanding).

My biggest beef with JB is that at this point in his career, he's too set in his ways to make the kind of game to game and in-game adjustments when his personnel isn't up to task. If Gillon takes over for FH earlier in the season, maybe we don't have this conversation. Who knows?

But this program seems to be in the midst of an identity crisis, which perhaps is to be expected when it's near the end of the old guard and the new blood hasn't yet taken control. Do we go for big time 1 and done guys? Or do we still recruit for the system? In the last decade, since 06-07, we've made a concerted effort to recruit guys that fit JB's system. That's gone well. It's been perhaps the best 10 year stretch of ball he's had and a renaissance of sorts.

But the problem remains that when you have guys leaving every year as early entrants to the draft and you are stuck running a "system" program, you're going to be at the mercy of who you can bring in. And as has been mentioned as nauseum around here for a while, we're not bringing in guys who can be transcendent and help us recover from early exits.

This program is undergoing an identity crisis. And in my opinion, part of the way to fix that is to move on from the JB identity now, before it drags on a la Joe Pa. At that point, we're in big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom