Boeheim takes "shot" at Richmond | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim takes "shot" at Richmond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for the fact that Kadary said himself that he was not in great shape in a January interview. Or doesn’t that fit the narrative. Let’s recall, according to Kadary it wasn’t minutes that led him to transfer. It was the fact that he felt he wasn’t allowed to showcase his “complete game” at Syracuse. Essentially a 3-19 3-pt shooter at the time was told not to shoot the three.
It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

JB has shown in the past that the "how to say it" part leads to issues with some players.

Not many have transferred and had success, so there is some validity to the argument that "JB is probably right".

However, in normal years these guys haven't played as much as they thought they should.

This past year we had four guys leave who played minutes and were in the rotation at least part of the season on a Sweet 16 team: Quincy Guerrier, Kadary Richmond, Woody Newton, Bobby Braswell.

That's a lot. You can speak about the transfer portal opening up the game for more of these types of things to happen, but that's a lot.

Because he's asked questions by interviewers and it's his habit to answer them honestly.

That would be the reason...
You think every answer he has given to a reporter has been honest? And his honest answer should be "I don't comment on anything or anyone that is not currently part of our program".

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Zagoria is the worst. He’s a UK blowhard who truly hates SU and Boeheim, as evident again by the title of this article alone. I’ll never forget his “big boyed” comment regarding Quade.
The title isn’t even accurate. Richmond did NOT take the high road. Maybe he did in the one interview referenced. Doesn’t change the interviews right after he transferred.

Also, it seems he’s admitting Seton Hall tampered.

The tone of the article is so odd. Making a point that Kadary “took the high road” and “didn’t take shots at Boeheim.”

What would he have to take shots at JB for? He was out of shape and didn’t put in the work and still got major minutes. What was there to take shots at?
In previous interviews, he talked about how he was “restricted.”

GMAC said if I remember correctly they communicated with him when the portal opened, but yeah I am sure it's just one big circus.

This one is still weird, he will now join four scholarship guards. But whatever.
One difference I think is the relationship between JB and Jay Wright. I know they were friends - he was a guest at a few of JB’s Coaches vs Cancer events. I doubt SU would have actively pursued him if Wright wasn’t okay with his transfer. It doesn’t appear to be any hard feelings on Swider’s part nor his family with Nova either. (Cole’s sister plays for the Nova women’s team).

If you don't think we lost games last year by not playing Kadary -- I think you're wrong. If you think we're better or neutral without Kadary this year -- I think you're wrong. If you think there's any excuse on this planet for not playing Kadary over Joe Girard -- I think you're wrong, and crazy. I think Boeheim is crazy and wrong

so by your definition...a ton of college basketball analysts, other ACC coaches, former Cuse players and literally every fan saw the difference from Kadary vs Joe but a stubborn 76 year old is always right...by your logic. Got it

Fanboy at it's finest
None of those people were at practice. As for those who were actually at practice, we know Griffin wasn’t happy about Richmond leaving. BUT, we don’t know whether or not he agrees with JB’s overall assessment.

You'd think Kadary Richmond was the second coming of Pearl from all the threads about the kid. He wasn't even half the freshman Ennis was at PG. The kid was good, I wish he stayed, but he left.

The vitriol towards JGIII is old too. Clearly the pandemic affected the kid in regards to his training, or being out of shape possibly from catching it, who knows. I for one, am excited to see him play this year; because 2019-20 Joe was one of the few bright spots on the team. The total 180 on him after a down year in the middle of pandemic is dumb. I hope he proves all you wrong, and crushes it this year. Not to mention, I'd love to see what kind of shape most of you all are in who were calling him 'blimp' or whatever lame ass name you slandered the kid with. From the sounds of it, he looks to have gotten back in shape.

The "shot" was in the implication that Kadary was lazy in practice. Actually, it was more than an implication—he flat out said he didn't work hard.

Which is odd. I mean, if i see someone not living up to a standard i've set, i either encourage more or discourage the status quo: carrot or stick. Doing nothing, as a HC, and letting it continue... that, in and of itself, is not working hard either.

Yes, we fans don't see the players in practice and probably didn't have access to reports of injuries, so we comment on play and time and whatnot from a partially uninformed, outside view. That's not going to stop. That's what sports forums are. But, we also shouldn't blindly accept what JB says as empirical fact. He's not always 'factual' or logical. Ripping KaDary for being out of shape while JG somehow was apparently some hybrid of The Rock and Kipchoge Keino... and apparently Joe's defense was just as good as KaDary's... I mean, it's in the names. KaDary's 'D' was big, and he has two of 'em, while Joe's is small and last. Come on.

Maybe JB should transfer to Seton Hall. He's being outworked, too. Doesn't travel like the young guns, and just watches the first half of practice from a catwalk? Does he not have ACC-level endurance?

JB is talking because he's a thin-skinned guy portraying someone who isn't. And maybe he's preempting the discussion about 'what we mighta been' without certain transfers.
Who said JB did nothing?

Only in your world is that a “shot”. Give me a break.
I don’t need, want, or care to repeat the entire interview verbatim. You’re free to Google it yourself or complain some more.

He went to Seton Hall, not Puke or Kentucky. Get a grip bro. If people want a Aaron Boone Esque puppet then JB is not ur guy. I will surely miss his honesty which is extremely rare in this P.C. world.
who cares where he went? We aren't in the age of ball where you HAVE to go to a big program. He can be seen just as easy at Seton Hall. He went to be seen/playing time plus past SH players telling him the freedom he would have in that offense.

I think it's just funny that many fans on here and JB cry and whine about not having a pure pg or "missing" on PGs the last few years and than we finally have one who is the purest pg since...Ennis? and because he's so called "out of shape", he doesn't play over someone who struggled all year or because we aren't in practice but we clearly see the difference over a season that the kid is more advanced. I know Kadary use to bust JG3 up in practice. My source is the assistant who recruited him. Hell, when has so many former players been SO vocal over a player playing or sitting...can't recall.

I get if JG was killing it or had a lot of good moments but that really wasn't the case last year. He regressed.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

JB has shown in the past that the "how to say it" part leads to issues with some players.

Not many have transferred and had success, so there is some validity to the argument that "JB is probably right".

However, in normal years these guys haven't played as much as they thought they should.

This past year we had four guys leave who played minutes and were in the rotation at least part of the season on a Sweet 16 team: Quincy Guerrier, Kadary Richmond, Woody Newton, Bobby Braswell.

That's a lot. You can speak about the transfer portal opening up the game for more of these types of things to happen, but that's a lot.
QG and Braswell left on good terms.

who cares where he went? We aren't in the age of ball where you HAVE to go to a big program. He can be seen just as easy at Seton Hall. He went to be seen/playing time plus past SH players telling him the freedom he would have in that offense.

I think it's just funny that many fans on here and JB cry and whine about not having a pure pg or "missing" on PGs the last few years and than we finally have one who is the purest pg since...Ennis? and because he's so called "out of shape", he doesn't play over someone who struggled all year or because we aren't in practice but we clearly see the difference over a season that the kid is more advanced. I know Kadary use to bust JG3 up in practice. My source is the assistant who recruited him. Hell, when has so many former players been SO vocal over a player playing or sitting...can't recall.

I get if JG was killing it or had a lot of good moments but that really wasn't the case last year. He regressed.
Just my opinion but I think if Kadary had played 40 minutes a game, he would still have left. He just wasn't happy at Syracuse. I think Jb felt that as well. We will never know for sure.

If it was clear in December that Richmond wasn’t going to work hard and was already thinking about leaving, then JB had to make a decision that would help in both the short term and long term.

And don’t assume starting Richmond was going to be enough to keep him here. He said that wasn’t the issue.

If it was clear in December that Richmond wasn’t going to work hard and was already thinking about leaving, then JB had to make a decision that would help in both the short term and long term.

And don’t assume starting Richmond was going to be enough to keep him here. He said that wasn’t the issue.
The reason why he was unhappy was he was told in his (short) recruiting process with us that he would have an opportunity to start/earn meaningful minutes. He never got an opportunity even when his play on the court and in practice showed that he was the better pg for that team.

Griff was on him to stay and was in his ear similar to how Hop was to the guys. I don't blame Kadary for leaving, I just don't understand JB's mindset besides him being so loyal to JG. Kadary made Buddys life easier on the court, that alone should have pushed Jim to play him more.

Regardless, he isn't here and we'll roll with this backcourt again. I just hope this situation doesn't happen again with Benny.

Scoring got us to the third round, not passing. Its not that complicated. Joe was awesome the first two games. I see it as Kadary wanted to play 34 a game instead of 20. We would be nearly the same team this year with Joe and Kadary, imo.

Scoring got us to the third round, not passing. Its not that complicated. Joe was awesome the first two games. I see it as Kadary wanted to play 34 a game instead of 20. We would be nearly the same team this year with Joe and Kadary, imo.
We would not have made the tourney without Kadary, IMO.

Is this real?

Just my opinion but I think if Kadary had played 40 minutes a game, he would still have left. He just wasn't happy at Syracuse. I think Jb felt that as well. We will never know for sure.
Many of the best things about playing/being a student at Syracuse were completely absent because of covid.

Sucks that kids like Kadary and Woody didn't get anything close to a normal experience, because maybe they stay with that experience despite any on-court grievances, but its understandable that they wanted to bolt.

The reason why he was unhappy was he was told in his (short) recruiting process with us that he would have an opportunity to start/earn meaningful minutes. He never got an opportunity even when his play on the court and in practice showed that he was the better pg for that team.

Griff was on him to stay and was in his ear similar to how Hop was to the guys. I don't blame Kadary for leaving, I just don't understand JB's mindset besides him being so loyal to JG. Kadary made Buddys life easier on the court, that alone should have pushed Jim to play him more.

Regardless, he isn't here and we'll roll with this backcourt again. I just hope this situation doesn't happen again with Benny.
He played meaningful minutes. And he said the starting gig wasn’t the issue. He didn’t like JB telling him not to shoot threes, for one. That would have continued even if he was starting.

JB is loyal to JG because JG is loyal to the program. If Ryan Blackwell knew Richmond wanted to transfer as far back as December, then clearly it was obvious to everyone that Richmond had one foot out the door. He was even communicating with Willard/Seton Hall.

Girard was already struggling mentally. Benching him would have only made things worse. And giving him the starting gig back only because Richmond transferred probably wouldn’t have cured anything.

JB made a decent short-term decision and the right long-term decision.

Consider the axe ground, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors