Brandon's final drive was uncalled for... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brandon's final drive was uncalled for...

I thought McGarys "boxing out" looked suspiciously like a pushing foul and/or over the back. BMK should have taken a dive a few times.

You don't give the ref the chance to blow that whistle, though. You just can't risk it. That one play killed us.
When you are trailing, you make the ref blow his whistle. 8/10 times, tie goes to the offense at that stage of the game. Your best chance to score is at e line, with the clock stopped.

It was a 50/50 call that went against us, and if it went our way, Brandon's shooting two and put us in the double bonus and gives us a chance to tie it up with 40 seconds to go and Michigan shitting its pants.

Right play, right decision, good execution, unlucky break. End of story.

Triche had such a great game too, I feel bad saying it, but I gotta admit I don't understand the decision Triche made on that play to take that drive so early in the possession.

27 seconds left, down by 2 points, don't you play for the last shot in that situation? Or, at least pass around a little looking for a decent look? To simply try to blow-by your guy & take it to the hoop like that...your basically begging the ref to make a call there. And it's not like Triche had some open lane he was driving thru either...that defender was there the entire time! Just don't get the thought process on that one.

But besides that (& that strange giveaway pass a few mins earlier) Brandon had a very nice game I thought. No shame in ending your career with 11 points, 8 assists, 3 rebs and only 2 turnovers...in fact, that's a really nice game.

James killed us this game. Not BT. Again, I'm far from a BT cheerleader, but those "who is better - James or CJ" threads are looking pretty dumb now.
Wait... who EVER started a thread saying James is better than CJ? Whoever did... EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i feel bad for you

Im sick to this loss tonight... Cuse should have won this but just could not capitalize on all the opportunities given. REFS were an absolute JOKE down the stretch. Absolutely had a major influence on the END result. MCW should of been automatic charge. That was a BLATANT charge... Then Triche's was a block because guy was sliding and leaning into Triche as he was up in the air. Travel at the end... MCW offensive foul was a case where the defender ran into him and flopped and got the call. Absolutely no breaks down the stretch...

You don't give the ref the chance to blow that whistle, though. You just can't risk it. That one play killed us.

Much of the time I agree with your posts, not this time. One play doesn't kill you. If we are looking for one play to blame, I will list some more for you. Triche trying to throw an alley oop to a covered Christmas. Southerland driving to the hoop and forcing a pass to Christmas. MCW forcing a pass inside to Christmas. Southerland passing up a wide open three to drive and miss. Fair forcing a few wild shots over two defenders.

The real cause of the loss, even with very questionable officiating at the end, was the number of wasted offensive possessions we had when trailing by 3-4 points. This was an issue all year thy good defense overshadowed much of the time. This team overachieved and went from a team I didn't enjoy watching (even during the 18-1 start) to a team I will greatly miss watching.

If we ate blaming kids for allowing officials to make bad calls I give up. F uck it.

Disagree. You can't play basketball if you have to dance around the refs. The replay showed it was a terrible call. The guy slid over and never came set.

If the refs are going to decide the game there is nothing you can do. And the refs were clearly out to decide this game.

McGary had about 11 fouls. Fair was fouled every time he leaned in to shoot. BT and MCW were fouled almost every time they drove, including the last call on BT. His defender fouled him, then it was a block against the guy who slid over.

So do you only take jump shots? Doesn't seem like the right formula. Don't you try to go to the line (like he did a few minutes earlier? Was it a bad play then?)

Unless the play specifically called was for Fair, I don't mind Triche taking the ball to the basket. Horford slid underneath him while in the air. It was a bad call at a really bad time. T

The play down 3 was ugly. Cooney should have handed it off to Fair and let Fair create. Let Fair drive or kick to Cooney, Southerland, or Grant.

Triche had such a great game too, I feel bad saying it, but I gotta admit I don't understand the decision Triche made on that play to take that drive so early in the possession.

27 seconds left, down by 2 points, don't you play for the last shot in that situation? Or, at least pass around a little looking for a decent look? To simply try to blow-by your guy & take it to the hoop like that...your basically begging the ref to make a call there. And it's not like Triche had some open lane he was driving thru either...that defender was there the entire time! Just don't get the thought process on that one.

But besides that (& that strange giveaway pass a few mins earlier) Brandon had a very nice game I thought. No shame in ending your career with 11 points, 8 assists, 3 rebs and only 2 turnovers...in fact, that's a really nice game.

He was good tonight and got unlucky with the call but it was still a bad decision. And his 4th foul was an even worse one.

We got a lot of mileage out of BT in his 4 years I don't want to criticize him but in a sense its fitting that he did 2 really stupid things and then fouled out in th elast minute of his last game.

Still, all the best to Brandon and thanks for the 4 years.

He was good tonight and got unlucky with the call but it was still a bad decision. And his 4th foul was an even worse one.

We got a lot of mileage out of BT in his 4 years I don't want to criticize him but in a sense its fitting that he did 2 really stupid things and then fouled out in th elast minute of his last game.

Still, all the best to Brandon and thanks for the 4 years.

What would this post have sounded like if you did want to criticize BT?

You've done enough for one night.

That was a freshman mistake, not something you expect from a senior. I'm speechless. We had our chance on that possession. Should have drove and kicked for a three to take a lead.
Probably hoping to draw contact and get fouled, which he was. His previous drive turned into a 3.

That was a freshman mistake, not something you expect from a senior. I'm speechless. We had our chance on that possession. Should have drove and kicked for a three to take a lead.
Sounds like nap time :). I know I need one.

ABC - Always Be Closing...

WHAT?! it seemed quite clear to me it was a block.

if it was a block, it negates your entire post. And everything i have heard so far is that it was a clear block.

How that moronic ref could call a charge there I will never know. Should have went to the line with a chance to tie.

Here we go

You cannot get bent outta shape on 50 / 50 bang bang calls. We couldn't put the ball in the basket for large stretches of the game, and made some questionable (Triche over the top to Rak?) decisions with the ball.

I hate the block / charge thing as much as anyone, but that's the game in 2013. JB was right at half, we needed to score. The Bayside Bomber gave us 5. That ain't gonna do it.

That crazy pass to Rak was right out of a timeout to.

Anyone who blames this loss on Brandon is a moron. That was not a charge.

You don't get it. Did you see the BS call they called in the 1st half on MCW, which was almost the same EXACT play except MCW was set, they called a block. The dude made the shot and hit the FT - that's 3 points they shouldn't have had.

Apparently you and Vitale are the only ones who thought it was a charge.

Deano, I did not see it as a charge, or mean to imply that it was a charge. It was a block. The problem was it was one of those 50-50 calls that a ref can completely screw you on. Plus he had 4 fouls on top of it all. Even Brandon admitted in the press conference that it was probably the wrong decision and that he should have pulled up. Too risky. It doesn't matter much at this point, but that is all I'm saying. Not the right position to put yourself in. Triche got jobbed with the call, no question about it. That was the dagger. Unfortunately it came from a Zebra and not a 35 foot jump shot.

Deano, I did not see it as a charge, or mean to imply that it was a charge. It was a block. The problem was it was one of those 50-50 calls that a ref can completely screw you on. Plus he had 4 fouls on top of it all. Even Brandon admitted in the press conference that it was probably the wrong decision and that he should have pulled up. Too risky. It doesn't matter much at this point, but that is all I'm saying. Not the right position to put yourself in. Triche got jobbed with the call, no question about it. That was the dagger. Unfortunately it came from a Zebra and not a 35 foot jump shot.

Eh, players are always tame in press conferences - especially a good kid like BT.

When you drive to the hoop, and you can leave your feet with no defender in ur pass, you assume you're going to get the call. I know there are times you don't because refs sucks, but you play by ur instincts, and it's pretty instinctual not to pull up when nobody is set up in your path. It was a crap call - good take by BT.

Point taken, it just appeared that you thought that the call was a definite charge. I think most of America, outside UM fans and Dook Vitale, think it was a charge. I just ticked like others when it's not called consistant ala the MCW block in the 1st half. Would love to see that on replay again and figure how that was not a charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom