Bronco Mendenhall stepping down at Virginia / Tony Elliott hired | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Bronco Mendenhall stepping down at Virginia / Tony Elliott hired

According to that article he'll be making more than Bronco did this year. Probably have to hire some younger guys to balance out the coaching budget. Maybe that's why he was supposedly going after Lupar, from Mizzou for OC who is currently an RB coach.
I would be really surprised if Beck is offered the OC job at UVa and turns it down to come to Syracuse to be the QB coach.

It would surely pay more and he would be an OC, which is the position he wants to get ASAP.

If Beck is not offered the OC job, I would be surprised if he stays at UVa. I would expect he would make more money at Syracuse and there would be a clear path to become the OC in a year or two.

Elliott is not a good X and O guy. He really needs to bring in a good OC who can outscheme teams to move the ball and score points. That overwhelming edge in talent he had at Clemson that overcome his deficiencies is gone forever.

Do you think Armstrong returns?
That's the $64,000 Question. He supposedly has filed for the draft spot evaluation. No word on what it determined. If Beck is moved up to being the OC, everyone thinks it would increase the chances of his return. His understudy is Jay Woolfolk, a true 1st Year, who did a decent job when he came in when Armstrong was injured vs. BYU and started against ND.

I would be really surprised if Beck is offered the OC job at UVa and turns it down to come to Syracuse to be the QB coach.

It would surely pay more and he would be an OC, which is the position he wants to get ASAP.

If Beck is not offered the OC job, I would be surprised if he stays at UVa. I would expect he would make more money at Syracuse and there would be a clear path to become the OC in a year or two.

Elliott is not a good X and O guy. He really needs to bring in a good OC who can outscheme teams to move the ball and score points. That overwhelming edge in talent he had at Clemson that overcome his deficiencies is gone forever.
They might keep him to stop kids from leaving.

Looking at Beck's background and success with QBs you would think that he would have been offered the opportunity to be an OC before during his years at UVA yet he chose to stay with Bronco and Anae.

They might keep him to stop kids from leaving.
Maybe. Heard most of their offense is in the portal already. Armstrong in particular seems to like Beck.

Not sure how much the rest of the offense cares about him. They probably had little interaction with a QB coach. I suspect those kids are gone regardless. But losing Armstrong would really devastate them. Elliott is looking at a couple of 0-12 seasons to start his career if he isn't really careful here.

It will be interesting to see which direction Elliott goes. As a first time HC he may also decide he needs an experienced OC that he can lean on as well, instead of going with a first time OC. Though stopping the outflow of players from the current team could force Elliott to keep it in house.

That's the $64,000 Question. He supposedly has filed for the draft spot evaluation. No word on what it determined. If Beck is moved up to being the OC, everyone thinks it would increase the chances of his return. His understudy is Jay Woolfolk, a true 1st Year, who did a decent job when he came in when Armstrong was injured vs. BYU and started against ND.

I noticed that you have a young QB (Rodriguez) and a young TE (Rawlings) in the portal who were highly rated out of HS. What's the 411 on those guys?

I noticed that you have a young QB (Rodriguez) and a young TE (Rawlings) in the portal who were highly rated out of HS. What's the 411 on those guys?
Rodriguez was being groomed to be the next Kaeton Thompson, in the position they like to call "Football Player" (FBP). You never knew where he was going to line up or what he was going to do on the play (catch a pass, throw a pass, run with the ball). Maybe he doesn't see any chance of playing much under the new regime. Woolfolk and Armstead were both ahead of him in the QB depth chart. Armstead is also in the portal because Woolfolk is now Armstrong's heir apparent.

Rawlings rarely saw the field. He was behind Woods (1st team all-ACC) and Misch in the depth chart. IIRC, Woods leaves after this year since he's a grad xfer from Okie State, so one would think he'd move uip to #2 on the depth chart.

Never saw a breakout with incentives like this. He's certainly been taken care of IMO with 40K for "moving expenses":

Details have been revealed on the six-year deal Tony Elliott signed to become the head coach of the Virginia football program, as first reported on Monday night by Mike Barber at the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Elliott will make an estimated $4.1 million in his first season in 2022 and that payment will increase by around $150,000 every two seasons.

In his final season as Virginia head coach, Bronco Mendenhall's base salary was $4.25 million.

Here is a breakdown of Elliott's salary for the next six seasons at UVA:

Tony Elliott Virginia Football Head Coach Contract
YearPayment
2022$4.1 million
2023$4.24 million
2024$4.24 million
2025$4.4 million
2026$4.4 million
2027$4.55 million
The offer sheet Elliott signed included a $350,000 signing bonus and $40,000 for moving expenses.

The details of the contract stipulate an automatic extension if Virginia makes an appearance in the ACC Championship Game or if the Cavaliers have a 10-win season.

There is an $8 million buyout in the deal, but that amount will be lowered by $2 million each season.

Elliott's contract also includes the following bonus incentives:

Tony Elliott Contract Bonus Incentives
IncentiveBonus
ACC Championship Game appearance$50,000
ACC Championship$100,000
Bowl game appearance$25,000-$100,000
College Football Playoff appearance$500,000
Top 25 Final Ranking$50,000
Top 20 Final Ranking$75,000
Top 15 Final Ranking$100,000
Top 10 Final Ranking$125,000
Top 5 Final Ranking$150,000
ACC Coach of the Year$75,000
At Clemson, Elliott was one of the top-paid assistants in college football. In February of 2021, Elliott signed an extension that elevated his annual salary to $2 million.

Virginia has certainly made Elliott's decision to take the UVA football head coaching job a lucrative one.

The money is good but 40k for moving expenses is nothing
There are companies here in CNY who offer more depending on job and candidate, usually Hospital and Tech companies.

"Job candidates and new hires may have a bit more power when negotiating relocation packages, as it usually costs much less to move an employee than to pay a higher salary. In fact, a Worldwide ERC survey from 2015 reported that companies spent an average of $71,803 in 2014 to move newly hired homeowners and $23,766 to move newly hired renters."

Last edited:
There are companies here in CNY who offer more depending on job and candidate, usually Hospital and Tech companies.

"Job candidates and new hires may have a bit more power when negotiating relocation packages, as it usually costs much less to move an employee than to pay a higher salary. In fact, a Worldwide ERC survey from 2015 reported that companies spent an average of $71,803 in 2014 to move newly hired homeowners and $23,766 to move newly hired renters."
Fortunately with many people working remotely, less people would be moving but I have a feeling that during the pandemic the price to relocate someone has probably increased.

I am trying to figure out why 40k is nothing. I moved all my household goods (16k lbs) and a car to the Philippines for $18K.

Possible difference is doing it mostly yourself compared to someone else who likely is calling a moving company to move even 4-5 states away, an entire house of stuff. I bet you can start pushing that 40k number quicker than you would think. I moved 17 miles away and was surprised by the cost of trying to rent PODS and other ways of storing “stuff” while unsure about closing dates on house being sold and one being purchased. Even doing it as cheap as possible I probably spent about $3k and that was entirely on my own, with the help of a few people one day.

Possible difference is doing it mostly yourself compared to someone else who likely is calling a moving company to move even 4-5 states away, an entire house of stuff. I bet you can start pushing that 40k number quicker than you would think. I moved 17 miles away and was surprised by the cost of trying to rent PODS and other ways of storing “stuff” while unsure about closing dates on house being sold and one being purchased. Even doing it as cheap as possible I probably spent about $3k and that was entirely on my own, with the help of a few people one day.
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't move it myself. Had a company, pack, load the household goods into a 20ft and 10ft container, ship to New Jersey and then on a ship to Manila. We drove the car to New Jersey and had it shipped to Manila as well.

I’m going to be paying 3200 to move 150 miles. 4 men, 2 / 26ft trucks. All I have to do is pack, I don’t lift or move a thing . I’m ok with it

I’m going to be paying 3200 to move 150 miles. 4 men, 2 / 26ft trucks. All I have to do is pack, I don’t lift or move a thing . I’m ok with it

Where you moving to?

Yeah, the packing is where they get you. 15 minutes to bubble wrap a fork.

Our last move, we packed, movers moved. Much better way to do it. Plus you can organize yourself.

Last edited:
Yeah, the packing is where they get you. 15 minute to wrap a fork.

Our last move, we packed, movers moved. Much better way to do it. Plus you can organize yourself.

Our last 2 moves - which were and will now always be our last 2 moves EVER!;
we're leaving this house toes up with a sheet over our heads ;) -
we packed ourselves, AND got a PODS container.

So the movers 'only' had to move furniture and other bulky stuff on moving day, and we could pack up and load up the PODS thing at our convenience, and likewise with unloading it and then unpacking.

Big fan of the PODS.

Wow, I couldn’t touch that price for 17 miles unless I did it myself.

I am trying to figure out why 40k is nothing. I moved all my household goods (16k lbs) and a car to the Philippines for $18K.
It all depends on what you have done and what quality of moving company is. Once you get a bad one you never do that again. Also usually includes other “relo” expense, hotel rooms, closing costs etc. a 1% of base comp relo is diddly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom