BTN and Fox Network and Yes Network: what it is all about. | Syracusefan.com

BTN and Fox Network and Yes Network: what it is all about.

arbitragegls

All Conference
...this is not brand new stuff...but it is one of best articles I have read...this BS of most recent Maryland and Rutgers to B1G is about FOX VS. ESPN....there are few articles or blogs or our own thinking that either Maryland or Rutgers adds anything athletic to BIG...and that is why the ACC was caught with its pants down...who did the B1g take...yuk!

Recent purchase of Yes Network by Fox adds the NY market...and 15,000,000 households that can be added to the BTN (Fox shares with B1G)...and this is a long range plan...not for today, not for next year...but 10-20 years down the road.

What this all means...it is now ESPN that must "do its thing"...shower the ACC with dollars and/or a strategy for not only survival today but for the next decades ahead....it is going to be interesting because it just isn't athletics and academics...NOW IT IS $$$$ and media companies playing on academia turf but a game that really isnt collegiate athletics or for that matter academia...it is for households.

Some may think adding Uconn or Louisville or both or Notre Dame and PSU or...BUT WHAT OF TWO CONFERENCES JOINING...WHAT OF ACC GOING BI-COASTAL (Big East perhaps was actually far ahead of others)...stay tuned cause this is going to get worse before it all calms down...

Have fun discussing...but this is not worth mind wrenching at this point because yesterday and today will not even read the tea leaves of what corporate TV wants...(I will keep you updated on what i learn)...but damn, how to give thanks with most of the garbage out there making each day "the sky is falling"--Nostradamus anyone?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ichael-hiestand-big-10-fox-expansion/1718311/

...this is not brand new stuff...but it is one of best articles I have read...this BS of most recent Maryland and Rutgers to B1G is about FOX VS. ESPN....there are few articles or blogs or our own thinking that either Maryland or Rutgers adds anything athletic to BIG...and that is why the ACC was caught with its pants down...who did the B1g take...yuk!

Recent purchase of Yes Network by Fox adds the NY market...and 15,000,000 households that can be added to the BTN (Fox shares with B1G)...and this is a long range plan...not for today, not for next year...but 10-20 years down the road.

What this all means...it is now ESPN that must "do its thing"...shower the ACC with dollars and/or a strategy for not only survival today but for the next decades ahead....it is going to be interesting because it just isn't athletics and academics...NOW IT IS $$$$ and media companies playing on academia turf but a game that really isnt collegiate athletics or for that matter academia...it is for households.

Some may think adding Uconn or Louisville or both or Notre Dame and PSU or...BUT WHAT OF TWO CONFERENCES JOINING...WHAT OF ACC GOING BI-COASTAL (Big East perhaps was actually far ahead of others)...stay tuned cause this is going to get worse before it all calms down...

Have fun discussing...but this is not worth mind wrenching at this point because yesterday and today will not even read the tea leaves of what corporate TV wants...(I will keep you updated on what i learn)...but damn, how to give thanks with most of the garbage out there making each day "the sky is falling"--Nostradamus anyone?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ichael-hiestand-big-10-fox-expansion/1718311/

Just to clarify you said it would get worse before it got better. Are you suggestign additional teams could be leaving in the short term? Also who is left on the west coast to add for a bi-coastal league?

Trying to keep up on this stuff. So, on its face it seems like the YES network (i.e. the Yankees) are the bludgeon to use on consumers for higher fees through Fox bundling of networks. Doesn't this really work in areas heavy with Yankee fans?

Why then Maryland? Other B1G motivations as far as Maryland? Guess am still confused on why in say Maryland, the BTN gets more money just for the fact they have a team in that state.

I will give thanks for the months I spent envisioning us playing in a league with MD, FSU, VT, NC ST, NC, UVa. I won't give thanks for playing in a league with GT, Wake, UConn, L'ville, Duke, etc. At least we have a seat at the big boys table (for now...)

Fox has a big part of the PAC along with the PAC and Big 10 being blood brothers. I don't see this working when the $ behind it would allow ESPN to be a part when its goal is to dismantle ESPN.

Would you stop with the YES and BTN. They are and will always be two separate entities. The B1G has the majority share of the BTN and that increases every year. They will not want B1G programming to be on YES. That would cause them to lose money vs having the BTN at a reduced rate let alone a full rate in the NYC area. BTW the BTN is ALREADY IN the NYC market. It is about rates not getting in the door. In addition why would the B1G want to schedule their games around Yankees games in September or possibly get bumped off of TV all together? That is silly.

Stop making stuff up.

Gee, what the hell have I been saying its FOX declaring war on ESPN. Fuel TV is going to be rebranded FOX Sports Cable 1 and they are going to challenge ESPN. ESPN picked who they wanted to go to war with FOX or NBC they decided to team up with FOX to freeze out NBC. With the Pac-12 and Big XII negotiations ESPN said we like FOX more than NBC. Thus, the NBC Sports Network won't be a threat, but K. Ruppert Murdoch money FOX will be a player with the inventory they will have. FX has had Big XII and PAC-12 games this year. When the B1G becomes available that will give FOX 3 of the big 4 conferences partially and fully depending on if the B1G chops between ESPN and FOX for more $$$ or exclusively with FOX. ESPN killed the ACC when they didn't take care of them when they added SU and Pitt. 14 million to 17 million wasn't going to be enough when the Big XII and Pac-12 went to 20+ plus a year. Your BTN and YES stuff is wrong, Bees explained how Murdoch and co. will leverage BTN on NYC basic cable with YES and he is exactly right. The ACC will lose FSU, Clemson, UNC, and more unless ESPN steps up NOW and pays the conference another 70 million per year 5 million for each school to get them on level playing field with Pac-12 and the Big XII or good bye ACC.

Trying to keep up on this stuff. So, on its face it seems like the YES network (i.e. the Yankees) are the bludgeon to use on consumers for higher fees through Fox bundling of networks. Doesn't this really work in areas heavy with Yankee fans?

Why then Maryland? Other B1G motivations as far as Maryland? Guess am still confused on why in say Maryland, the BTN gets more money just for the fact they have a team in that state.
Yes carries Yankees, Rangers, Jets, Nets...and with Fox joins a wide area Fox Sports Network. Washington DC-Maryland are a means of gaining entry into an area that has growth and money to spend...demographics and expansion of brand. Why Maryland...it has very poor financial health in athletic department...it was contiguous to Pennsylvania...so it was easiest to pick from the ACC and also to expand B1G...Fox partly owns the BTN...so, wherever and however it can expand it means $$$$$...and NY-DC-Maryland a great start to set up a east coast base against ESPN. As far as B1G...it could have been whomever BTN/Fox wanted...Maryland offers academics and research but not much in fan support and athletics at this time...this is a two decade or longer strategic direction.

Your BTN and YES stuff is wrong, Bees explained how Murdoch and co. will leverage BTN on NYC basic cable with YES and he is exactly right.

Yep. The BTN and YES are regional sports networks. That will not change. What will change is that FOX is going to have a national sports network that will compete with ESPN for Tier 1 content in all sports college and pro. The other stuff will still fall to the regional sports networks like FOX Sports (insert area), MSG, YES, NESN, BTN, etc.

Would you stop with the YES and BTN. They are and will always be two separate entities. The B1G has the majority share of the BTN and that increases every year. They will not want B1G programming to be on YES. That would cause them to lose money vs having the BTN at a reduced rate let alone a full rate in the NYC area. BTW the BTN is ALREADY IN the NYC market. It is about rates not getting in the door. In addition why would the B1G want to schedule their games around Yankees games in September or possibly get bumped off of TV all together? That is silly.

Stop making stuff up.

I think you are misunderstanding what he is saying...

I think you are misunderstanding what he is saying...
No I like arbitragegls as his posts are good and give good information, but he is wrong partially here. Bees explained the BTN and YES stuff yesterday and was exactly right. KingOttoiii is correct here. arbitragegls is the anti-me on the board right now, as I am seeing things as going as badly for SU possible and see the hand-writing on wall, and while I wish I were wrong I think we are screwed, whereas he is doing a good job of trying to alleviate tensions and give positive spin things. So I thank him for that, but I am realist and not an idealist. KingOttoii is stating the truth in this discussion though.

No I like arbitragegls as his posts are good and give good information, but he is wrong partially here. Bees explained the BTN and YES stuff yesterday and was exactly right. KingOttoiii is correct here. arbitragegls is the anti-me on the board right now, as I am seeing things as going as badly for SU possible and see the hand-writing on wall, and while I wish I were wrong I think we are screwed, whereas he is doing a good job of trying to alleviate tensions and give positive spin things. So I thank him for that, but I am realist and not an idealist. KingOttoii is stating the truth in this discussion though.

I kind of think everyone here is saying the same thing in a different way. Although I'm also going cross-eyed from reading all this stuff, so what do I know?

As most things tend to work out, I think the end result will be somewhere in the middle.

So in 2017 is fox gonna out bid ESPN for big tier 1 and take them away com ESPN altogether? The pac in the future. Maybe even the big12 also?

It's what fox did years ago with the NFL to CBS and NBC. Have also picked up MLB and bowl games. Espn did the ACC no favors with the crappy renegotiation. If espn was smart they would throw a lot more money at the conference now that ND has joined. If ND was smart and wants the ACC they should join now or they might not have a choice down the road on what conference they belong too. They ultimate FU to the big ten is for ND to join full time immediately.

Stop making stuff up.
Oh really...perhaps this link will help you understand--of course BTN and YES Network is different..but doesnt stop YES Network from getting their programs. I have comcast in south Florida, I get SNY, BTN, PAC 12 and BE...all on my upgrade. YES Network can do the same.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...n-tv-money/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t13_a0
From above link--read it all however:
One potential piece of leverage the Big Ten will have is FOX and News Corp's reported attempt to purchase the YES Network, which could help strong-arm the Big Ten into the New York market.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/18/big-ten-expansion-tv-money/index.html#ixzz2Cs6LKYln

And here is another on Fox-Yes...Yankees, Nets etc...

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloo...to-Acquire-49-of-YES-Network-at-3-4054258.php

Point being, eventually, Fox Sports will roll out the BTN into other of its cable carriages...please don't indicate they are not the same...Fox built BTN...Fox over time will get money from BTN..and BTN carried on YES Network will deliver millions $$$$ to both B1G and Fox...

There are numerous articles on this now...so please take time to google and read a few and then lets continue the discussion. Two games this weekend...go 'Cuse!

Oh really...perhaps this link will help you understand:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...n-tv-money/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t13_a0
From above link--read it all however:
One potential piece of leverage the Big Ten will have is FOX and News Corp's reported attempt to purchase the YES Network, which could help strong-arm the Big Ten into the New York market.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/18/big-ten-expansion-tv-money/index.html#ixzz2Cs6LKYln

And here is another on Fox-Yes...Yankees, Nets etc...

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloo...to-Acquire-49-of-YES-Network-at-3-4054258.php

Point being, eventually, Fox Sports will roll out the BTN into other of its cable carriages...please don't indicate they are not the same...Fox built BTN...Fox over time will get money from BTN..and BTN carried on YES Network will deliver millions $$$$ to both B1G and Fox...

I am willing to wager...that this is the play...name your price guys!

Dude you are wrong. Do you even know what the BTN is? It is a NETWORK not a production company. None of what you linked indicates BTN programming will be on YES. They are talking about leverage to get higher rates for the BTN than they currently get in NYC.

Dude you are wrong. Do you even know what the BTN is? It is a NETWORK not a production company. None of what you linked indicates BTN programming will be on YES. They are talking about leverage to get higher rates for the BTN than they currently get in NYC.
I thought the issue was that they were going to bundle the BTN with YES, and that was where the money was coming from. Maybe I misunderstood.

To the original point the ACC Network will never go bi-coastal, eventually the BTN and Pac-12 Networks might be able to have enough markets and time zones to merge and become a national TV network. If they decided to keep all tier 2 and tier 3 rights among 26-32 schools and only sell they tier 1 rights look out especially if Rupert Murdoch and FOX are involved. The ACC's ONLY HOPE is for ESPN to step up now pay the conference keep FSU and UNC happy and get the conference stable. ND needs to get off its high horse and commit to the ACC or Swofford needs to kick the PARASITE out NOW. No stability will be reached with ND out there.

To the original point the ACC Network will never go bi-coastal, eventually the BTN and Pac-12 Networks might be able to have enough markets and time zones to merge and become a national TV network. If they decided to keep all tier 2 and tier 3 rights among 26-32 schools and only sell they tier 1 rights look out especially if Rupert Murdoch and FOX are involved. The ACC's ONLY HOPE is for ESPN to step up now pay the conference keep FSU and UNC happy and get the conference stable. ND needs to get off its high horse and commit to the ACC or Swofford needs to kick the PARASITE out NOW. No stability will be reached with ND out there.
I live between Boston and Providence, and I get both the BTN and Pac-12 (FOX). So if they're not national, they're at least bi-coastal.

I live between Boston and Providence, and I get both the BTN and Pac-12 (FOX). So if they're not national, they're at least bi-coastal.
You get the Pac-12 Network? Most people get BTN because the most popular cable provider is DirecTv and BTN got on DirecTv when it launched. I don't have Pac-12 Network and I have DirecTv.The BTN is a national network, but doesn't generate a lot in per month subscriptions unless its in a B1G state.

/

20 years down the road the BTN network will not need the fox or the yes network. They will be have a direct subscription model with google fiber and smart TVs.

http://allthingsd.com/20121121/a-peek-at-tvs-future-via-google-fiber/?refcat=news

You get the Pac-12 Network? Most people get BTN because the most popular cable provider is DirecTv and BTN got on DirecTv when it launched. I don't have Pac-12 Network and I have DirecTv.The BTN is a national network, but doesn't generate a lot in per month subscriptions unless its in a B1G state.
I have Comcast and I have both. I don't know if it's technically the Pac-12 network, but I have several Fox channels, and on the weekends, I have my choice of Pac-12 FB games to watch. Same with BB during the season.

Is the Pac-12 network supported by Fox? If so, then I get it.

I have Comcast and I have both. I don't know if it's technically the Pac-12 network, but I have several Fox channels, and on the weekends, I have my choice of Pac-12 FB games to watch. Same with BB during the season.

Is the Pac-12 network supported by Fox? If so, then I get it.
I honestly don't know, but a lot of Pac-12 games have been unavailable for me as a DTV subscriber. I would bet yes because FOX helped the BTN and B1G-Pac-12 are like brother conferences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom