Buddy suspended for Duke | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy suspended for Duke

Lol. Some peoples' reaction to this is mind-blowing. So what, if the officials missed it, we know it happened!!

It reminds me of the segment on John Oliver's show Sunday about the death penalty, and an attorney defending for the state told an appellate judge that an innocent man should be executed if there was no applicable technical ground to overturn the lower verdict on.
All the Syracuse fans I’m hearing from are angry with the ACC. All of you are like, “the rules, the rules!” He should not be suspended. They should have called it in the game, reviewed it If necessary, and ejected him then. Otherwise move on. Bilas is right. Syracuse fans back in the day would have been apoplectic over this decision. I’m a little disappointed in everyone’s rationality on here. We defended Derrick Coleman when he went ham on the entire Cornell team. (The last 2 sentences are sarcasm, btw.)

I mean, Buddy could have just not punched the guy. All this complaining about the refs kind of avoids the root cause. Once he lost his cool, he lost the ability to not have a bad outcome.

Exactly.

So, Buddy got boxed out a little over -enthusiastically by the FSU dude?

So what? It’s a basketball play.

You can throw an elbow or a hip check back at the dude and make your point, and that’s still some semblance of a basketball play, and just an ordinary foul if seen by the official.

Taking a swing is never the right call,

unless you’re Pearl and it’s Ewings nads. ;)

I mean, Buddy could have just not punched the guy. All this complaining about the refs kind of avoids the root cause. Once he lost his cool, he lost the ability to not have a bad outcome.
^This. My favorite is the take where people admit is should have been a flagrant but since the refs missed it, it's somehow passes to the realm where no body in the world has jurisdiction over it. It's like the basketball version of the place in Yellowstone where murder is legal or something.

So you're saying there's a chance!
There's always a chance, but this is a very good Duke team. We will need to shoot lights out. Play D like we did today and force them to shoot from deep, hope they don't make them and rebound the ball. State had many turnovers, we helped create some and had steals which helped us today, maybe dook will also have a bad shooting game like FL ST.

Last edited:
All the Syracuse fans I’m hearing from are angry with the ACC. All of you are like, “the rules, the rules!” He should not be suspended. They should have called it in the game, reviewed it If necessary, and ejected him then. Otherwise move on. Bilas is right. Syracuse fans back in the day would have been apoplectic over this decision. I’m a little disappointed in everyone’s rationality on here. We defended Derrick Coleman when he went ham on the entire Cornell team. (The last 2 sentences are sarcasm, btw.)

Yeah but DC threw Moose Johnston through a Marshall St bar window once.

Glass half-full take--now the kid's last game (most likely) was a win.

Getting blown out (quite possibly) in the quarterfinals of a conference tournament for your last game isn't exactly a dream ending to a career.

Didn't know this, but if you were curious of a similar incident Chris Paul was one

Yes buddy was the root cause. But the refs have a job and they didn’t do it.

The craziest thing about this whole situation is if you had asked me who in all of college basketball would be least likely to be suspended for throwing a punch - it would be the ever smiling Buddy Boeheim...feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone...
Don’t judge any book by its cover and watch out for smiling, over friendly people that you just tried to elbow and get out of the way. Wyatt also had consequences to his actions - minor, and he looked like a poor actor trying to get a foul called. If Buddy had kept his hand open and used his arm carefully to get Wyatt out of the way, and if the refs had actually done their job, we wouldn’t be having this entire thread of conversations.

It's great to have Jay in your corner, but he has such a reputation of ruffling the feathers of administration, I wonder how many people even take him seriously on stuff like this.

He repeats himself several times in this and he has a few different points that don't relate.

The one that interests me is what he said about the game being over and it not being reviewable. Does SU have any chance to put in an emergency appeal on this? Assume they would have already done so.
It’s crazy that we have Jay Bilas in our corner arguing that Buddy shouldn’t be suspended, and we have Cuse fans arguing in favor of Buddy’s suspension.
Good lord this is an embarrassing take. Grasping for straws..
You do know that fan is short for fanatic, right? Fans aren’t supposed to be rational, especially in the heat of a moment like this. We could use a little more fanaticism on here in defense of Buddy, at least in the immediate aftermath of a 40 point win. I guess everybody just hates this season and wants the misery to be over with.

Don’t judge any book by its cover and watch out for smiling, over friendly people that you just tried to elbow and get out of the way. Wyatt also had consequences to his actions - minor, and he looked like a poor actor trying to get a foul called. If Buddy had kept his hand open and used his arm carefully to get Wyatt out of the way, and if the refs had actually done their job, we wouldn’t be having this entire thread of conversations.
Wishes won't wash the dishes.
- My Mom

Yes buddy was the root cause. But the refs have a job and they didn’t do it.
Two things. (1) I have a feeling that had Buddy been ejected during the game there’d be a lot of the same people here kvetching that’s he was unfairly tossed. (2) It’s quite likely he’d get a suspension even if he had been tossed. Punching has become the ultimate sin in basketball, for whatever reason.

If we take the court, we probably lose.

If we don't take the court, we definitely lose.
Jason Bateman Cotton GIF

It’s crazy that we have Jay Bilas in our corner arguing that Buddy shouldn’t be suspended, and we have Cuse fans arguing in favor of Buddy’s suspension.

You do know that fan is short for fanatic, right? Fans aren’t supposed to be rational, especially in the heat of a moment like this. We could use a little more fanaticism on here in defense of Buddy, at least in the immediate aftermath of a 40 point win. I guess everybody just hates this season and wants the misery to be over with.

Arguing whether it was legit vs what we wanted is two very different things. If you think the preference here is he gets suspended then you are mistaken.

I'm frustrated that a key player made such a bone headed play at a critical time and that at a point in the game where we had a large advantage. Over the years plenty of times we have had different challenges due to poor decisions. So I'm not having my fan/alum card challenged over not being irrationally against the logic of a decision that isn't without merit.

Two things. (1) I have a feeling that had Buddy been ejected during the game there’d be a lot of the same people here kvetching that’s he was unfairly tossed. (2) It’s quite likely he’d get a suspension even if he had been tossed. Punching has become the ultimate sin in basketball, for whatever reason.
If the officials reviewed it and assessed an F-2 I would have been annoyed but moved on. The rules allow for that interpretation.

There is nothing about the rules that allow the conference to retroactively assign that action a F-2 grade. It just doesn't exist.

Based on that, Syracuse absolutely should appeal the decision, and close enough to game time tomorrow that the appeal cannot be judged until after the game. I don't think they WILL, but they should.

If you were playing basketball and you were looking up for a rebound and some guy came at you with a full force hip check, I'd bet you would have a different take. That was a dirty and malicious type of play, and dangerous.
How have you not gotten a timeout with all of these increasingly worse, horrendous takes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom