Budget and coaching | Syracusefan.com

Budget and coaching

Cusefan78

Negative Nancy
so for all the fire shafer guys and that's pretty much 90%. Let's say coyle dumps him after the season. He then comes up with 5-7 million coaching budget. Who do we get that's a known commodity. I know we could get a Mac coach with little budget increase but if they go all out on budget is it possible to lure someone with the ipf, money, and a dome renovation. I would think with a smaller budget increase we could get a guy like doc holiday type but if they wanted to go big time (not urban Meyer big) can a coach be bought and let's be honest.

so for all the fire shafer guys and that's pretty much 90%. Let's say coyle dumps him after the season. He then comes up with 5-7 million coaching budget. Who do we get that's a known commodity. I know we could get a Mac coach with little budget increase but if they go all out on budget is it possible to lure someone with the ipf, money, and a dome renovation. I would think with a smaller budget increase we could get a guy like doc holiday type but if they wanted to go big time (not urban Meyer big) can a coach be bought and let's be honest.

Need to do your homework and get the right guy. Gross made a huge mistake with hire #1, got lucky with hire #2 and made the conveniently easy decision with hire #3.

This is Coyle's GRob moment. I trust him more than I did Gross.

Need to do your homework and get the right guy. Gross made a huge mistake with hire #1, got lucky with hire #2 and made the conveniently easy decision with hire #3.

Yeah I totally have faith in coyle. I just wonder even with money how alluring is this coaching job for an established coach. I know this is a bs post cause Syracuse won't come up with that money but if they did is it possible to attract a name?

Yeah I totally have faith in coyle. I just wonder even with money how alluring is this coaching job for an established coach. I know this is a bs post cause Syracuse won't come up with that money but if they did is it possible to attract a name?

I think the max you can do is get the Toledo guy. But I think the difference between a MAC head coach and Shafer is Shafer was never a MAC head coach. He just coached in the MAC. Huge difference.

SUFan44 said:

With Shafer...Marrone left well after hiring season. Gross's hands were tied. But now we can get someone who isn't a career assistant

If past hires are any clue, I would put Harsin at the top of his list. He's a big name by association, i.e. he's the coach of a "perennial" top 10 program.

They offered both Holtz and HCRE over $2 mil each back in 2009.

No reason why we can't spend at least $2.5 on a HC.

Is there a HC worth $2.5 who'd be willing to come here with a short leash?

If past hires are any clue, I would put Harsin at the top of his list. He's a big name by association, i.e. he's the coach of a "perennial" top 10 program.
I would take harsin. My concern is how long we have been down. Even with money how alluring is this job

That's my concern. Those guys turned it down with what would have been big pay increases.

You think the leash would be short? Expectations are pretty low right now. It would probably be at least a three year leash.

Bury $5M in the renovation budget for coaches.
I don't really think 5 million is enough. Have to pay a coach in the 2.5 range then lure an oc and dc with experience. Pay them in the 750 to 1 million range then you still have the rest of your staff. 5 doesn't get it done

A proven guy doesn't get the same leash. That talk can't and won't be used against the AD in the coaching search. Everyone knew they were taking a chance on continuity with Shafer, including Shafer. It hasn't worked out.

I don't really think 5 million is enough. Have to pay a coach in the 2.5 range then lure an oc and dc with experience. Pay them in the 750 to 1 million range then you still have the rest of your staff. 5 doesn't get it done
OK - $20M

You think the leash would be short? Expectations are pretty low right now. It would probably be at least a three year leash.
There can't be any talk of a leash. The next hire needs to be a homerun. We fail on another coach and say goodnight we are Marshall

With our fanbase right now ... it's probably 3 games. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom