Budget and coaching | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Budget and coaching

If they plan on spending more than a few $$$hundred million on renovations that then have MAC level salaries then it would all be on Coyle. Poor investment if they can't seriously offer at least mid P-5 pay levels.

If past hires are any clue, I would put Harsin at the top of his list. He's a big name by association, i.e. he's the coach of a "perennial" top 10 program.
Harsin only makes $1M now BTW.

And where are all these millions coming from? We got $19.5M last year. FB and BB are expected to pay for all the other athletic programs. BTW, the faculty also wants to tap into that money. What "name" coach would come to snow country for less than $3M? If you get a G-5 or lower division coach, the people he knows and can hire don't have that much experience.

If rumors are true and we are going to (at least) upgrade the Dome to the tune of $100M+, there won't be additional money for new coaches and to pay off the current staff's contracts. The "big" FB programs are either state-funded or have large active support programs with a lot of donors. We don't have that level of financial support.

And where are all these millions coming from? We got $19.5M last year. FB and BB are expected to pay for all the other athletic programs. BTW, the faculty also wants to tap into that money. What "name" coach would come to snow country for less than $3M? If you get a G-5 or lower division coach, the people he knows and can hire don't have that much experience.

If rumors are true and we are going to (at least) upgrade the Dome to the tune of $100M+, there won't be additional money for new coaches and to pay off the current staff's contracts. The "big" FB programs are either state-funded or have large active support programs with a lot of donors. We don't have that level of financial support.
This is more of a hypothetical for me. I realize Syracuse doesn't have the deep pockets of a state school. But last year football had a 14 million profit. Finding a few million more out of that should be obtainable.http://college-sports.pointafter.com/l/10263/Syracuse-University-Football

Let's crack open the endowment. Not even kidding.

Let's crack open the endowment. Not even kidding.
Budget wise the coaching staff is still based upon big east money. I know traveling expenses are more but come on there has to be 3-5 million they can free up from the added big east money. Coyle is known for his fundraising. They really need to find money to support the football program. Honestly tennis and soccer are great but do we need to pay those coaches big money. Have to take care of the bread winners first. As far as I'm concerned basketball and football should be getting the whatever they need out of the budget and the rest can be applied to Olympic sports. As James caan said in the program when was the last time 30k showed to watch a math test. Let's change the math to soccer, tennis, field hockey...

The only way to lure any hot commodity of a coach here is to really open the check book. Syracuse was a dream job for only one guy, Doug Marrone;).
For everyone else, this is just a stepping stone, or a try out for a big time school, or an NFL job. I fear coaches will avoid Syracuse because it will be hard to succeed here. Success here starts and ends with getting recruits. If my goal is to get to the NFL, or Big Time U, I want to set myself up for success by going to a school with an established run of recent success, and in a talent rich area. Unfortunately that ship sailed out of Syracuse years ago. If we traditionally would pay in the 2-3 mil. range, we should be thinking more like the 4-5 mil range. Consider it inconvenience pay.

Give Saban 15 mill. Do the dome renovations on the cheap. The recruits will come. We will sell more tickets, then have more than enough for the renovations we wanted.

We can have it both ways.

Give Saban 15 mill. Do the dome renovations on the cheap. The recruits will come. We will sell more tickets, then have more than enough for the renovations we wanted.

We can have it both ways.
15 million would even come close to luring Sabah here.
The only way to lure any hot commodity of a coach here is to really open the check book. Syracuse was a dream job for only one guy, Doug Marrone;).
For everyone else, this is just a stepping stone, or a try out for a big time school, or an NFL job. I fear coaches will avoid Syracuse because it will be hard to succeed here. Success here starts and ends with getting recruits. If my goal is to get to the NFL, or Big Time U, I want to set myself up for success by going to a school with an established run of recent success, and in a talent rich area. Unfortunately that ship sailed out of Syracuse years ago. If we traditionally would pay in the 2-3 mil. range, we should be thinking more like the 4-5 mil range. Consider it inconvenience pay.
I honestly don't think jumping that high gets you much more the 2.5-3. You might get rich rod for that money but we have to be honest this is Syracuse not Michigan.

This is more of a hypothetical for me. I realize Syracuse doesn't have the deep pockets of a state school. But last year football had a 14 million profit. Finding a few million more out of that should be obtainable.http://college-sports.pointafter.com/l/10263/Syracuse-University-Football
I don't believe that much, if any, of that 14 million profit remains. Remember the other athletic programs and faculty have probably tapped into it. It costs money to send the golf team to other ACC schools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom