Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

If this QB change backfires and the wheels come off the Bills season from here on out and they miss the playoff, then Sean McDermott's time in Buffalo will be very short. This is a risky move for a 1st year head coach who is heading into late November currently holding a playoff spot.

Last year Adam Gase cut 3 offensive linemen and it sparked his team on a winning streak, I'm not sure you bench your starting QB to "send a message" when your over .500 heading into late November.If this move works he will look like a genius but if it blows up then you can start the search for your next head coach within the next year or two as McDermott will not never recover from this

100% disagree, it just means they still don't have a QB. Don't know how you can state that he will never recover from giving a rookie QB a shot for a game. Bit over the top no? He's 5-4 and had two bad games.

100% disagree, it just means they still don't have a QB. Don't know how you can state that he will never recover from giving a rookie QB a shot for a game. Bit over the top no? He's 5-4 and had two bad games.

You made my point, he's 5-4!!! In this league this year and currently in the AFC that is pretty good...not a time to be going to a rookie QB. He had 2 bad games, ok, fine...doesn't mean you bench him for an unproven rookie you drafted in the 5th round this year (not like he is a top draft pick, he was a 5th round pick) as you are heading into the home stretch to lock up a playoff spot which you currently hold. Not to mention you are having this 5th round pick who is unproven make his first start on the road which isn't easy either vs a team with a dominate pass rush like the Chargers who can and probably will rattle him this week! Oh and then next week you are at KC and then come home to the Patriots. Good luck kid!! It's a very very risky move that if it backfires will hurt McDermott and his future as an NFL head coach.

Last edited:
You made my point, he's 5-4!!! In this league this year and currently in the AFC that is pretty good...not a time to be going to a rookie QB. He had 2 bad games, ok, fine...doesn't mean you bench him for an unproven rookie you drafted in the 5th round this year (not like he is a top draft pick, he was a 5th round pick) as you are heading into the home stretch to lock up a playoff spot which you currently hold. Not to mention you are having this 5th round pick who is unproven make his first start on the road which isn't easy either vs a team with a dominate pass rush like the Chargers who can and probably will rattle him this week! Oh and then next week you are at KC and then come home to the Patriots. Good luck kid!! It's a very very risky move that if it backfires will hurt McDermott and his future as an NFL head coach.
IMO, this just means they've determined Tyrod isn't the guy and believe Peterman "could" be. Goes right along with their terminology of trying to win this year while building for the future.

I think we all see where this train was headed with Tyrod at QB. It doesn't end in the playoffs.

IMO, this just means they've determined Tyrod isn't the guy and believe Peterman "could" be. Goes right along with their terminology of trying to win this year while building for the future.

I think we all see where this train was headed with Tyrod at QB. It doesn't end in the playoffs.
Exactly. The new staff has a plan and they don't miss a chance to make moves consistent with that plan. Try to win this year while building for the future.

Exactly. The new staff has a plan and they don't miss a chance to make moves consistent with that plan. Try to win this year while building for the future.
Throwing a 5th round pick out on the field vs the Chargers (with that pass rush), KC, and NE isn't trying to win this year!! It's just not.

Look maybe the kid is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, great if he is and I am wrong. But a 5th round pick who has been in the NFL for only a few months on the field in the middle of a playoff race vs THOSE teams is suicide.

I would have given Tyrod a little more time. OR if anything ease Nate into this and not have him start, maybe have Tyrod start the game and throw Nate in during the 2nd half to take over. They are throwing this 5th round pick to the wolves in my opinion.

Throwing a 5th round pick out on the field vs the Chargers (with that pass rush), KC, and NE isn't trying to win this year!! It's just not.

Look maybe the kid is the 2nd coming of Tom Brady, great if he is and I am wrong. But a 5th round pick who has been in the NFL for only a few months on the field in the middle of a playoff race vs THOSE teams is suicide.

I would have given Tyrod a little more time. OR if anything ease Nate into this and not have him start, maybe have Tyrod start the game and throw Nate in during the 2nd half to take over. They are throwing this 5th round pick to the wolves in my opinion.

There's a difference between doing everything you can to win this year and "trying to win" as McDermott stated (also, obviously McDermott can't come out and tell the fans or his players that in the middle of the playoff race, Buffalo is packing it in).

Buffalo will TRY to win. They just aren't willing to sacrifice their long-term vision in order to win.

Buffalo will TRY to win. They just aren't willing to sacrifice their long-term vision in order to win.

For a franchise who has the longest playoff drought in the league, that is kind of silly in my opinion. Get to the playoffs this year as its a very realistic chance they can go. The AFC is horrible and they are in a prime spot to get to the playoffs. Not the time to do a training camp re-boot and start planning for 2018.

If the staff thought Taylor could guide them to victory against LAC, he'd be playing. They'd trot him out there and if he loses the next 3, depending where the dominos fall, then Peterman showcases what he has for Miami x2, Indy and NE. The staff clearly doesn't think Taylor can execute and win games anymore.

We won with him being a game manager, poor mans Alex Smith, and once our defense stopped forcing 50 turnovers and teams scored on us - They got ahead and we'd go 3 and out. No defense can sustain that. Teams didn't respect him and over and over say "we just made him be a QB".

The defense definitely needs to shape up but let's not kid ourselves that the nonexistent offense led by a pretend QB hasn't been a huge issue.

LAC is a huge game for playoff hopes. Taylor would be playing if the staff thought he gave us a better chance than Peterman.

For a franchise who has the longest playoff drought in the league, that is kind of silly in my opinion. Get to the playoffs this year as its a very realistic chance they can go. The AFC is horrible and they are in a prime spot to get to the playoffs. Not the time to do a training camp re-boot and start planning for 2018.

I hear ya, but clearly the new regime doesn't care if they sneak into the playoffs with a bunch of guys that they don't think are in their long-term plans. I want the playoff drought to end as much as the next guy, but if this regime were serious about ending the playoff drought, they would have adapted their offense to fit Tyrod. They seem to both want to win and want to build long-term, but clearly prioritize the latter IMO.

I think that's generally the right way to look at it; the playoff drought complicates it, but it's probably the right thing to do despite my personal frustration with it. Of course I also think there's roughly a 5% chance that Peterman is the answer, so it frustrates me more than some other hopeful fans, but that's just me. I probably would have stuck with Tyrod to try to make the playoffs and then just draft a new QB and pretend Peterman basically doesn't exist, but obviously they're at least a little intrigued by Peterman/want to do their due diligence before drafting a new QB.

LAC is a huge game for playoff hopes. Taylor would be playing if the staff thought he gave us a better chance than Peterman.
I find it hard to believe the Staff feels the team has a better chance to win on the road vs the LAC with Peterman a 5th round pick making his first ever start than Taylor. Nobody is saying Taylor is great, but he gives you the best chance to win this week over Peterman.

We will see though.

I hear ya, but clearly the new regime doesn't care if they sneak into the playoffs with a bunch of guys that they don't think are in their long-term plans. I want the playoff drought to end as much as the next guy, but if this regime were serious about ending the playoff drought, they would have adapted their offense to fit Tyrod. They seem to both want to win and want to build long-term, but clearly prioritize the latter IMO.

I see what your saying, but if that is what the staff believes they won't be there very long. You don't punt on a season in November when your 5-4 to "build towards the future". You just don't.

For those down on Peterman, why? I don't know much about him but he seems pro-ready, intelligent, able to make reads and tight throws while being a big QB. He doesn't have a cannon but in our offense, you theoretically don't need one.

I see what your saying, but if that is what the staff believes they won't be there very long. You don't punt on a season in November when your 5-4 to "build towards the future". You just don't.
I get your frustration, but when you're 5-2 and not much of that is attributable to the current QB, then fall to 5-4, trade for Benjamin, and have said QB afraid to throw the ball...it's not crazy. Every week Taylor is missing reads and throws, his All-22's are horror shows.

For those down on Peterman, why? I don't know much about him but he seems pro-ready, intelligent, able to make reads and tight throws while being a big QB. He doesn't have a cannon but in our offense, you theoretically don't need one.

I simply don't think he's as good a passer as Tyrod, and he's obviously nowhere near the runner. His accuracy is inconsistent, much like Tyrod, and his arm strength is notably worse.

The only big advantage that he has IMO is that he processes coverage quicker than Tyrod. I also think he'll take more chances, but that's both a positive and a negative.

I think Peterman can be a solid backup, but I basically see him as a poor man's Luke Falk, who I like, but I think even he needs a lot of improving to ever become a starting QB.

I simply don't think he's as good a passer as Tyrod, and he's obviously nowhere near the runner. His accuracy is inconsistent, much like Tyrod, and his arm strength is notably worse.

The only big advantage that he has IMO is that he processes coverage quicker than Tyrod. I also think he'll take more chances, but that's both a positive and a negative.
I think many would say that diagnosing coverage is one of the biggest differentiators between a QB who makes it and one who doesn't. (In the NFL)

I think many would say that diagnosing coverage is one of the biggest differentiators between a QB who makes it and one who doesn't. (In the NFL)

Sure, but it's all relative right? He can do it well relative to Tyrod or even relative to most rookies, but if he can't make the throws on a consistent basis, it doesn't really matter. In the preseason, he was facing vanilla defenses pretty much the whole time and was still sailing passes left and right.

I'd say diagnosing coverage is a big differentiator between a good QB and a great QB, but you need the physical ability in order to get to the point where diagnosing defenses matters. He isn't really there IMO. Tyrod is, but his relative inability to diagnose coverage holds him back from becoming more than a solid starter.

Sure, but it's all relative right? He can do it well relative to Tyrod or even relative to most rookies, but if he can't make the throws on a consistent basis, it doesn't really matter. In the preseason, he was facing vanilla defenses pretty much the whole time and was still sailing passes left and right.

I'd say diagnosing coverage is a big differentiator between a good QB and a great QB, but you need the physical ability in order to get to the point where diagnosing defenses matters. He isn't really there IMO. Tyrod is, but his relative inability to diagnose coverage holds him back from becoming more than a solid starter.
You could be right. I'm just really interested to see what this looks like when we have a QB who will actually throw the ball to WR's not running wide open. It could open things up or be a disaster but I'm ready to find out.

I made the inexcusable mistake of watching SC6 for about ten minutes today. Jemelle Hill was on her soapbox moaning about the injustice of Tyrod Taylor being replaced by Nathan Peterman. It was so clear that a big part of her angst was the notion that a black man was being unfairly treated in this case.

Who knows how Peterman will fare but clearly the Bills have been trending in the wrong direction. It's not all on TT but he has not been playing well lately so making a change doesn't seem crazy to me. They need to find out what NP has plus I think they're being realistic about their chances for the rest of 2017. But Hill couldn't not have been more contemptuous of the decision. You would have thought Joe Montana had been benched for CJ Beathard.

I made the inexcusable mistake of watching SC6 for about ten minutes today. Jemelle Hill was on her soapbox moaning about the injustice of Tyrod Taylor being replaced by Nathan Peterman. It was so clear that a big part of her angst was the notion that a black man was being unfairly treated in this case.

Who knows how Peterman will fare but clearly the Bills have been trending in the wrong direction. It's not all on TT but he has not been playing well lately so making a change doesn't seem crazy to me. They need to find out what NP has plus I think they're being realistic about their chances for the rest of 2017. But Hill couldn't not have been more contemptuous of the decision. You would have thought Joe Montana had been benched for CJ Beathard.
I find your account shocking. I mean who watches anything on ESPN other than live sports?

I don’t think anything McDermott and Beane do is for the short term. I just don’t. These guys will be given a bit longer rope than your typical NFL gig. Like i said they have had two rough games but team is moving in a positive direction long term. Whaley dug a good size hole too.

too much drama and H0T Takes these days. Regardless of what is said, Bills are rebuilding, sure they are 5-4 in the playoff hunt but they are still a huge work in progress with a heavy eye on future while still trying to win this season and that is what McDermott has done from day one.

They also want a good look at Peterman for future. Pretty clear they will be cutting Tyrod at end of year at this point. Unless Peterman is a miracle worker ( which I don’t think he will be) Bills will be drafting another qb as well. Can’t underestimate how bad Taylor was on Sunday versus Saints as well.

Im not expecting a miracle but i like the move. Also a chance to see a qb who fits the Rick Dennison scheme, he’s the one really under the microscope. He is the one that could get canned really quickly. Big gamble, which is rare by most of the coaches in the current landscape.

I am as gung ho McDermott/ Beane as I am Dino. A lot of the changes may catch up with them the next 7 games but so be it. Like I said, as of right now Dennison is only one on the hot seat and rightfully so. Bills have issues everywhere and just because their D has been horrific the past 2 games doesn't take away from how bad Tyrod was last week along with his inability to make plays down the field

Last edited:
I declare on November 16th of the year 2017 that if Clayton Thorson declares for the 2018 NFL Draft, he will be a Buffalo Bill.

If not, I think it'll be Luke Falk or possibly Josh Allen.

Peterman could be absolutely terrible but I don't know why everyone thinks a QB not selected in the first 2 rounds can't be good, especially in the right system. We obviously are not acquiescing our system to fit players, instead it's the other way around. Taylor clearly does not fit our offense - the dude can't even hit a slant or screen without it being deflected due to his size and he can't read coverage to see who the right play is to.. Adam Shefter correctly stated that Tyrod will be on a different team next year but not as a guaranteed starter. So why is everyone up in arms that he's not starting for us? Peterman's strengths fit our offensive philosophy, Dennison knows this has to work or he's gone and even though he dropped to the 5th round, he was generally considered NFL ready. I'm so beyond ok with this move and I honestly don't understand why people find it so stunning.

He may or may not be good, but starting Peterman is the right move when looking at the philosophy of this year. The author can't honestly tell me that he thinks Tyrod Taylor is getting us to the playoffs. Our defense has to hold teams under 16 or force 4 turnovers to have a chance with this guy.

Peterman could be absolutely terrible but I don't know why everyone thinks a QB not selected in the first 2 rounds can't be good, especially in the right system. We obviously are not acquiescing our system to fit players, instead it's the other way around. Taylor clearly does not fit our offense - the dude can't even hit a slant or screen without it being deflected due to his size and he can't read coverage to see who the right play is to.. Adam Shefter correctly stated that Tyrod will be on a different team next year but not as a guaranteed starter. So why is everyone up in arms that he's not starting for us? Peterman's strengths fit our offensive philosophy, Dennison knows this has to work or he's gone and even though he dropped to the 5th round, he was generally considered NFL ready. I'm so beyond ok with this move and I honestly don't understand why people find it so stunning.

He may or may not be good, but starting Peterman is the right move when looking at the philosophy of this year. The author can't honestly tell me that he thinks Tyrod Taylor is getting us to the playoffs. Our defense has to hold teams under 16 or force 4 turnovers to have a chance with this guy.

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote except for the bolded. Perhaps the Bills defensive collapse continues and they miss the playoffs, but the simple fact of the matter is that they are currently positioned for a playoff spot, due in no small part to the play of Tyrod this season. The two seasons prior, the offense was a top 10-13 unit, again due in no small part to the play of Tyrod. With an average or above average defense, this playoff drought could have easily been broken each season of Tyrod's tenure here.

The offense has obviously taken a massive step back this season, and on the whole, the defense hasn't improved either, but even still, they remain positioned to reach the playoffs.