Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread

Per Beane this morning there was a team that really wanted to trade up and we nearly traded back.

You gotta like that a guy that many ppl are calling “raw” had 15 1/2 sacks in the ACC.

Get that kinda production when your raw... what can you do when you’re fully cooked?

Not overly familiar with him but a position of need. Did they say he tied with chase young for sacks two years ago?
Yes, but it was basically all coverage sacks/plays where other people's pressure led the QB to just run into Rousseau. His tape doesn't really stand out at all but he has the body and motor to become a good player. I imagine the hope will be for him to eventually be able to play on the edge on 1st and 2nd down and kick inside on 3rd down; kinda like a Calais Campbell. But for now, he has a lot of developing to do before he can be relied on.

Last edited:
Yes, but it was basically all coverage sacks/plays where other people's (mainly the guy that Miami drafted) pressure led the QB to just run into Rousseau. His tape doesn't really stand out at all but he has the body and motor to become a good player. I imagine the hope will be for him to eventually be able to play on the edge on 1st and 2nd down and kick inside on 3rd down; kinda like a Calais Campbell. But for now, he has a lot of developing to do before he can be relied on.
Agreed except he didn’t play with Phillips I don’t believe. He opted out this past year during Phillips only year in Miami. Still your point remains, a lot of coverage sacks etc. but that’s still a lot of production.

Agreed except he didn’t play with Phillips I don’t believe. He opted out this past year during Phillips only year in Miami. Still your point remains, a lot of coverage sacks etc. but that’s still a lot of production.
Ah, whoops haha. But yeah, even if you just stick to watching player's highlights rather than their full tape, Rousseau's highlights don't even really stand out. Interesting physical tools for sure though.

If you have 5 minutes to spare, this is generally considered his best film

I will say I think his path to early playing time is being a guy that can anchor the edge and then clean up the play if Hughes or Oliver get the initial pressure on a QB. I don't think we really had a guy that could do that this past year.

I'd like to see us take a pure pass rusher still, potentially tonight. We need a long-term replacement for Hughes still IMO.

You gotta like that a guy that many ppl are calling “raw” had 15 1/2 sacks in the ACC.

Get that kinda production when your raw... what can you do when you’re fully cooked?

Beane said something similar, you don’t fluke your way to 15.5 sacks

Gonna need one of these 2 young DEs to become a good cheap starter if not both. Need to make up for the $30m we're about to be paying our LBs.

At 30, you’re definitely going for raw skills and circumstance if you hope a DE turns into a stud.

Rousseau is a freak in terms of size and length.
Opting out and a bad pro day killed his once Top 10 stock.

I’ve heard comparisons to Calais Campbell and JPP.

I’ll take it. I don’t love it or hate it. The FO has earned my respect (although their DL philosophy is a place that is wavering).

We now have Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Rousseau, Obada and Johnson at DE. Hard to believe we keep 6. I’d be a much bigger fan of this pick if we move/cut Hughes or Addison.

Clearly we have a type, as all the young guys are 6’6/6’7.

Was glad when we didn’t go with Javante Williams... Kiper was freaking me out like he knew something. Missing Etienne and still taking a RB would’ve had me some type of way.

My hope was Elijah Moore, but let’s hope Rousseau grows into his very real potential.

Let’s also hope he can provide situational pass rush ability this year, because we have chance to win it all and two years in a row of developmental DE’s will get tiresome quick - especially if we’re still searching for pass rush throughout the season.

At 30, you’re definitely going for raw skills and circumstance if you hope a DE turns into a stud.

I’ll take it. I don’t love it or hate it. The FO has earned my respect (although their DL philosophy is a place that is wavering).

We now have Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Rousseau, Obada and Johnson at DE. Hard to believe we keep 6. I’d be a much bigger fan of this pick if we move/cut Hughes or Addison.

Was glad when we didn’t go with Javante Williams... Kiper was freaking me out like he knew something. Missing Etienne and still taking a RB would’ve had me some type of way.

My hope was Elijah Moore, but let’s hope Rousseau grows into his very real potential.

Let’s also hope he can provide situational pass rush ability this year, because we have chance to win it all and two years in a row of developmental DE’s will get tiresome quick - especially if we’re still searching for pass rush throughout the season.
Lol I was wondering about that too.

I don't think we can afford to move Hughes; he's the only guy on the team capable of generating pressure consistently. We have Hughes, and then 5 guys that are either edge-setter types or just aren't good pass rushers right now. I'd like to add another that fits more of Hughes' mold and let the chips fall where they may with the other guys.

Prolly won't find out but I'm curious who the team was that wanted to trade up and what the offer was.

Lol I was wondering about that too.

I don't think we can afford to move Hughes; he's the only guy on the team capable of generating pressure consistently. We have Hughes, and then 5 guys that are either edge-setter types or just aren't good pass rushers right now. I'd like to add another that fits more of Hughes' mold and let the chips fall where they may with the other guys.
Yup.. Beane went out of his way to mention Johnson like 10x in his presser and he seemed like the logical cut candidate.

Epenesa, Rousseau and Obada certainly have potential to revamp our pass rush.

I’ve just hated the Addison signing since the moment we announced it and I have no idea why he’s still on this team... especially now.

There’s a very real chance we draft a 1 Tech tonight to rotate with/eventually replace Star. Oliver isn’t going anywhere. Butler probably isn’t going anywhere. What would we do with Harry?.. especially with our obsession with DE’s that can rush from inside.

Yup.. Beane went out of his way to mention Johnson like 10x in his presser and he seemed like the logical cut candidate.

I’ve just hated the Addison signing since the moment we announced it and I have no idea why he’s still on this team... especially now.

There’s a very real chance we draft a 1 Tech tonight to rotate with/eventually replace Star. Oliver isn’t going anywhere. Butler probably isn’t going anywhere. What would we do with Harry?.. especially with our obsession with DE’s that can rush from inside.
I really hope we don't take a DT tonight. This class is just really, really bad. The only DTs that really project to be worth anything in the NFL are both 3-techs (though Barmore could arguably do both, but based on the buzz around him, I don't think he's what McBeane are looking for).

If Joseph Ossai lasts to 61, I'd take him to mold as our replacement for Hughes. Otherwise, corner/OLine/WR would be my preference and there should be plenty of options at corner at least.

I am a little ambivalent on the pick overall but what does stand out from your note is just how many first round draft picks we have invested in the defensive line-not to mention free agent dollars. That unit has to produce...

Yeah there's been some significant investment with that group and thus, high expectations. I'm optimistic they'll be good.

Beane/McDermott did a nice job not overpaying Phillips/Lawson when they left, but they had to add some youth to the group to replace those guys.

Last edited:

X
You bring everyone into camp and see what it looks like. Maybe Addison sticks out like a sore thumb as the perfect cut candidate.

Hopefully he does.

I think Obada could be a real factor.

I think Obada could be a real factor.
Agreed. At the very least, we have a ton of size at EDGE with guys who have potential to be good.

Hope isn’t a strategy, but that’s where we are with this group... at least there’s reason to believe there’s a plan when we have 4 young giants at DE now.

I think Butler would rotate with Star as the 1 Tech.

I think Butler would rotate with Star as the 1 Tech.
I’m fine with Star, Butler, Oliver and Harry - especially when Epenesa, Obada and Rousseau can be kicked inside on passing downs.

Then next years draft obviously presents the opportunity to draft a good DT to replace Star - even if we’re drafting late again.

I’m watching people whine about Green Bay not giving Rodgers help when they keep going defense and investing in the defense (aside from Jordan Love, of course)

Wouldn’t us coming out of this off-season with only really replacing Brown with Sanders be GB like actions?

Josh Allen’s only proven talent is in going 4 wide with good pass pro.

Hope that we can develop a run game.

Hope that mid round RBs can elevate.

Hope that mid-late round TE’s can elevate.

I’m just sayin...

I’m watching people whine about Green Bay not giving Rodgers help when they keep going defense and investing in the defense (aside from Jordan Love, of course)

Wouldn’t us coming out of this off-season with only really replacing Brown with Sanders be GB like actions?

Josh Allen’s only proven talent is in going 4 wide with good pass pro.

Hope that we can develop a run game.

Hope that mid round RBs can elevate.

Hope that mid-late round TE’s can elevate.

I’m just sayin...

I'm gonna wait until the draft is over before giving full judgement. I think the big difference is Rodgers is at the end of his career and there's more pressure on him to win another ring or two instead of being just a one ring guy. Allen still has a lot of his career left.

I bet the Bills draft a C or WR in the middle rounds, and maybe they still pull an Ertz trade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom