Class of 2019 - C Jesse Edwards (NL/IMG) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 C Jesse Edwards (NL/IMG) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that any accurate predictions for Sidibe can be made upon last year's performance.

He spent last offseason through september in a leg immobilizer, and didn't get to work on his game at all. And that was after barely playing as a freshman.

When last October rolled around, he was at about 75%. That put him behind the 8-ball, and he never caught up. Once he got off to a slow start, Boeheim lost confidence in him, he lost confidence in himself, and the season was lost.

Now, one of two conditions is true moving forward. Either the tendinitis issue is chronic, he's lost a bit of athleticism, and he'll never regain it -- in which case, he doesn't have much upside beyond being a reserve.

Or the timing of when he got out of his immobilizer sucked, he can regain his athleticism, and next year can be different now that he's more experienced and can spend an offseason working on his game instead of just trying to get back to square one physically.

Will be interesting to see which scenario plays out for Sidibe -- but I don't think that last year's performance is necessarily a predictor, because the timing of his "recovery" couldn't have been worse. Now, he could still be impaired long term, a la Dejuan Coleman. We should know early next season which outcome is more likely.

I agree with this but think the only thing I'd add is that even late in the season when, we'd hope at least that he was healthier, he still looked very slow and awkward getting up off the floor and still didn't seem to have any spring or quickness.

I'm rooting for the kid b/c I was very excited by his potential to be a Baye Keita w/offense type of player. I also think there's a chance he gets healthy and is a big contributor. But I'm not particularly optimistic.

Well, if you think we're getting 30 minutes out of him next year, I'll take that bet.
That's all I'm saying. I loved the kid in HS. I fear the worst. It's my opinion.
You don't always have to so passionately disagree. I wasn't even talking to you in particular.
Like I said, it's just my opinion.

Not sure I was disagreeing. I said that I can see his career from here going one of two ways -- but I don't know which one [and I'm not sure that anyone truly does, given that he spent the first half of last season still recovering].

Buddy is going to play. And Q might play the 4 at times

Is there a real difference between your 3s and 4s anyway? I view oshae as more of a 3 size wise. We had oshae and hughes on the wings this year. No reason couldnt have guerrier and jackson out there at same time. Jackson needs to beef up seriously though before he plays d1.

Not sure I was disagreeing. I said that I can see his career from here going one of two ways -- but I don't know which one [and I'm not sure that anyone truly does, given that he spent the first half of last season still recovering].

I’m rooting hard for him.

It’s hard to remember now, but he looked so good in November of 2017. He was much of the boards favorite player early in that season and looked like a potential future star.

If you would’ve told me then how it would go from there, I would’ve been in heartbroken disbelief.

Hope he can get healthy and have a great last two years.

I’m rooting hard for him.

It’s hard to remember now, but he looked so good in November of 2017. He was much of the boards favorite player early in that season and looked like a potential future star.

If you would’ve told me then how it would go from there, I would’ve been in heartbroken disbelief.

Hope he can get healthy and have a great last two years.

I'm with you -- when he started out, you could tell that even though he was skinny / a bit raw, the tools were there for him to be an NBA prospect. This tendinitis issue has really derailed him.

Hope he can bounce back. AND, I hope that an off-season of working on his game + playing some live competition on the team's tour of Italy will help him improve.

just be up front about it:

"i know i'm old enough to be your grandfather & i know all those other coaches are telling you that's a bad thing. but i've got kids about your age and none of them do. they keep me young and in touch. i've got more energy left in my tank than k or roy or bielien or you name them - you've met them and you know it's true. hell i gave rick pitino his first job and he's out of the game but i'm still rolling, never had a losing season and never will."
You don't think 50 YO coaches have 20 something kids. I'm 58 and have an 18 YO.

Last edited:
Kid can play. Late steal. High upside.

So, we didn't have to give him any type of bag? Or, do you mean by 'late steal' his commitment takes up less of a schollie than those higher ranked studs we missed on? ;)

Buddy is going to play. And Q might play the 4 at times
We get pounded on the glasss every year as it is, so I don’t see why QG and Elijah or QG and Jackson wouldn’t play a ton together. It’s not like we have any traditional PF types, so play your best forwards together even if they’re both “SF’s”.

Thompson, Lydon, Coleman, McCullough, Jackson, Onuaku ...
Lydon and McCullough are 4’s to me.

Coleman’s injuries never allowed him to be truly productive. Thompson didn’t play D and was here for a year.

Onuaku graduated in 10, Rick in 2011. And Rak graduated in 15.

It’s 2019. That’s just three 2-way productive 5’s over roughly a decade. Not good enough. Nice to see us change up our approach.

Last edited:
Rony was a crazy athlete. Don't see it in this kid. However, this kid has more skills than Rony as a frosh, which is a big positive.
What I liked about Seikaly from the first time I watched him, was that he looked to dunk everything...that was his go-to move! With time he developed his other offensive skills and ended up in the NC game, & the Association.
This kid keeps the ball high and looks to attack the rim aggressively, at least from his highlights. Pack on 20 pounds of muscle and we’ll have a good, maybe great prospect at the 5. One can only hope!

Last edited:
Have a GREAT feeling about this kid

I do as well. I get the skepticism (based on our track record + limited highlights), but I think he's going to surprise. I kinda like what we have for next year. Lots of fresh blood. Maybe we're due for a semi "reboot". Build around Jalen, Buddy, Goodine, Girard, Guerrier, Braswell, Edwards, JBA. There is NO reason why there can't be a quality team comprised of that group (mixed in with vets like Marek, Hughes, grad transfer, etc)

I do as well. I get the skepticism (based on our track record + limited highlights), but I think he's going to surprise. I kinda like what we have for next year. Lots of fresh blood. Maybe we're due for a semi "reboot". Build around Jalen, Buddy, Goodine, Girard, Guerrier, Braswell, Edwards, JBA. There is NO reason why there can't be a quality team comprised of that group (mixed in with vets like Marek, Hughes, grad transfer, etc)
It looks to me like this is the kind of team, athletically speaking, other coaches often turn into fun-to-watch, successful surprises. I think maybe we'll see just how much JB really does have left in his tank, at least from a player development standpoint.

Is he active for the IMG game airing right now on ESPN?

Is he active for the IMG game airing right now on ESPN?
I watched quite a bit of the semis yesterday and some of the first half today and haven't seen him.

Lydon and McCullough are 4’s to me.

Coleman’s injuries never allowed him to be truly productive. Thompson didn’t play D and was here for a year.

Onuaku graduated in 10, Rick in 2011. And Rak graduated in 15.

It’s 2019. That’s just three 2-way productive 5’s over roughly a decade. Not good enough. Nice to see us change up our approach.

First, both Lydon and McCullough played more 5 than any other position. You might think of them as 4s but if you do that is only because your memory is wrong.

Then you get into a discussion you made up about great 2 way centers. The discussion was that Boeheim purposely recruits centers that are bad offensively and good defensively. I gave several examples to show this is not the case at all.

First, both Lydon and McCullough played more 5 than any other position. You might think of them as 4s but if you do that is only because your memory is wrong.

Then you get into a discussion you made up about great 2 way centers. The discussion was that Boeheim purposely recruits centers that are bad offensively and good defensively. I gave several examples to show this is not the case at all.
You seem upset... not sure why...

Was not trying to hurt your point at all or belittle JB or the staff in any way. I am one of the biggest JB apologists out there. Was just piggybacking off your post to put some of my thoughts down on paper. I’m not trying to be right or wrong about anything - nor prove that you’re right or wrong about anything. Just chatting about the team.

I watched all the games. I know exactly where Lydon and McCullough played. In a perfect world I don’t think JB would want them at the 5 for major minutes in his system.

You seem upset... not sure why...

Was not trying to hurt your point at all or belittle JB or the staff in any way. I am one of the biggest JB apologists out there. Was just piggybacking off your post to put some of my thoughts down on paper. I’m not trying to be right or wrong about anything - nor prove that you’re right or wrong about anything. Just chatting about the team.

I watched all the games. I know exactly where Lydon and McCullough played. In a perfect world I don’t think JB would want them at the 5 for major minutes in his system.

Saying the phrase that youre one of the biggest jb apologists out there means youre not.

Status
Not open for further replies.