Class of 2020 - C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Matt Haarms / Transferring from Purdue

Hah, how convenient. I bet if they were in his favor, then you would surely be using them while arguing his worth. Guaranteed. How far we fallen? Truly a remarkably simpleminded thing to say, all because we couldn’t snag a kid that was never even going to give us a 2nd look.
I don't use metrics in any sport or any argument. The fact that he was going to give us a 2nd look should say something about where we are.

I have no issue with posters believing that Haarms is the better player offensively, defensively, or at every aspect of basketball imaginable. Nor do I have any problem with posts like these. It’s the nonsense that was being spewed by many around here, that it isn’t even up for debate, and then finishing opinions off with the popular line...”that’s just a fact!”

Why, no, no it’s not. Maybe if it was something like comparing Jordan to Jimmer, then by all means, call it a fact. It still isn’t, but we really know that it is. That’s legitimately how people feel about this comparison. That it’s such a no brainer, no contest, and such a complete mismatch, that we can call it factual. Unreal to me. I can only figure that some folks made up their minds on Sid long ago, and he’s still that gimpy, uninspired, and all around struggling big man to them. Must see his improvements as a fluke, or something. Hell if I know.

Moqui posts some actual facts, and those are quickly dismissed as irrelevant, or misleading. Not that I put all my faith into stats either, but they do have some relevance, and especially those that he posted. Oh, but if Haarms played 40, then he’d have 10 boards a game! Which is not how it works, but no point even trying to explain how ridiculous it is.

Anyway, I haven’t once said that Sid is the better player, nor that I didn’t want Haarms. Just that I believe Sid is better at certain aspects, and Haarms at others, but really I found a lot of what was being said to be rather exaggerated, and/or shortsighted. Like Brian’s favorite way to judge a player, and just go by the schools offering him. Instead of looking at the big picture, and realizing that his worth to these schools is largely effected by how rare it is to find an experienced, worthwhile kid for the upcoming season, that will be eligible, and can contribute right away at the toughest position to come in, and do so. All while not impacting recruiting, or the amount of scholarships available for future years.

I’d be willing to bet that if he was still the player he is now, but was transferring with three years of eligibility left, that many of these schools wouldn’t even think twice about pursuing him. And just because JB wants to add another 5, it doesn’t mean that he thinks they are all better than Sid, or that we need someone better than him. I mean, he very well may think that, but he’s made his thoughts on the potential that Sid has as well. He likes to have two capable centers to rotate, so this is more about Jesse, and JBA, while trying to avoid having to put MD there, yet again.

That’s why I truly believe it would have been a split at the 5, give or take a couple minutes. He’s trying to win, and we are at our best when we have at least a duo, like Forth/McNeil, Rak/Keita, AO/Rick, or a trio like the infamous Fab Melo year, with young Rak/Keita combining to back him up.

Some of our most disappointing seasons had someone playing 30, or more minutes at the 5. Like 06-07, and 07-08. Those were a blast with poor Watkins basically alone at the 5 in 06-07, and the seniors going out like that. Not even gonna say anything else about that debacle of a season the year after. As far as I’m concerned, it never happened.

While most of our best years had no one playing more than 25 MPG at the 5. Like the aforementioned 2011-2012 season when we only lost 3 games. And the FF a year later with the trio of Rak/Keira/Coleman. Season after that, same kids, and a 3 seed. Then 2014-2015 comes along, when Rak had to play 34 MPG, and we lose 13 games. Not that Rak didn’t have a great year, but it’s a lot to ask of a big to play that many minutes.

We know JB has no issue with playing his guys 30, or more minutes a game. But, that isn’t the case with the 5 spot. The center is the QB of the zone, and responsible for communicating. JB needs at least two guys he can trust down there, so when a mistake is made, he can get right out, and into the seat of doom. With Marek being the only upperclassmen forward that we have, and really needing him to help facilitate the offense without Eli, I assume he’s trying everything he can to avoid him being our best option to backup the 5.

If that’s how it plays out then he has to decide what is more important. Putting the best backup option at the 5, but lose a key forward, and be forced to play Bras, or Woody in his place. Or keep Marek where he belongs, and hope Jesse, or JBA are serviceable. I’m not sure he will trust any of those four quite yet.

It’s all moot if AG becomes eligible, as Marek can move to the 5, if necessary, and our talent doesn’t drop, but our size does. A grad transfer big would be the stopgap that alleviates those important concerns for the season. While Jesse, and JBA get another year of experience in the program under their belt, and ideally not the trial by fire kind.

Alright, that was a doozy to write. Time for me to move on, as I think I’ve beaten the dead horse enough by now, and Haarms became irrelevant for us yesterday. Yeah, definitely time to step aside as I can see the same nonsense being thrown up already, and only had to scroll up one post. Baffling that JB looking to add a big automatically equals Sid is not good enough, but carry on.
You make some fair points and I like sidibe I think he can improve on last year. Haarms announced.he was transferring and 20 schools reached out to him including within two days including blue bloods. If sidibe announced he was transferring how many offers is he getting?

My pitch to Haarms would be along those lines. You're going to be playing with one of the best passing and handling big men in the country. He'll get you 10 easy points a night.

And two guards that wont pass you the ball.

I don't use metrics in any sport or any argument. The fact that he was going to give us a 2nd look should say something about where we are.
Your first sentence is your first mistake. There’s room for both old school scouting and analytics in this day and age. Ignoring one or the other is foolish.

And your second sentence is just speculation. We can infer anything from not making his top ten. He might be limiting his choices to schools offering a starting role (or money in the case of Kentucky). Or perhaps - because of his friendship with Edwards - he’s doing us a favor so we can pursue other players instead of wasting our time for the next week or two. Who knows, maybe he visited this board and was turned off by all the Debbie Downers. You have no idea. None of us do.

You make some fair points and I like sidibe I think he can improve on last year. Haarms announced.he was transferring and 20 schools reached out to him including within two days including blue bloods. If sidibe announced he was transferring how many offers is he getting?
The 3rd best Center in the ACC would get a Ton of interest. There’s a bunch of guys who transferred who had worse stats than Sidibe while playing at a lower level and still got a lot of interest. That is a fact

The 3rd best Center in the ACC would get a Ton of interest. There’s a bunch of guys who transferred who had worse stats than Sidibe while playing at a lower level and still got a lot of interest. That is a fact
further, if a guy with bourama's exact resume` entered the portal, a bunch of our posters would go ape over him.

Poor Isiah Jackson...I'm sure dad is being convinced right now by PayPal Cal that everything will be just fine. Too bad for IJ as he could of started with us.

Poor Isiah Jackson...I'm sure dad is being convinced right now by PayPal Cal that everything will be just fine. Too bad for IJ as he could of started with us.
As Alpharetta CUSE stated, Isiah Jackson will get plenty of playing time even if Haarms goes to Kentucky. Right now, he and Lance Ware are the tallest scholarship players Kentucky have on their team. If Haarms come, they will be the power forwards and backup centers and will have a lot of playing time.

Maybe he wants a for sure acceptance at the pearly gates so he shocks everyone and goes with BYU? ;) :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom