Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think there will actually be enough scoring regardless of what happens with benny.

judah has to be as advertised, but I expect he is.

between jesse, joe and judah...thats upgrades at PG, SG and C, imo...and a ton of scoring.

plus im pretty sure some of bunch, taylor, etc will be able to do something. ALL of the incoming players wont be zeroes across the board...

But sure if Benny makes the leap...it will take this team to a high level (just like it wouldve last season)

Devil's advocate. Let's just say that each of them average around 15ppg. Reasonable expectation. That's 45 points. If Benny delivers the same [which is no sure thing], that's only 60 points.

"Ton" of scoring might be a stretch.

Devil's advocate. Let's just say that each of them average around 15ppg. Reasonable expectation. That's 45 points. If Benny delivers the same [which is no sure thing], that's only 60 points.

Yeah I went through this in detail in a thread a month ago. We need to be around 72 to 75 a game plus a 10 or 11 ppg improvement defensively.

If we get approximately 60 PPG from just those four, our O will not be a problem. However, 60 PPG from those four might be a tad optimistic.

We can expect 6 to 10 from Symir and probably another 5 to 10 from Taylor.

That still leaves Bunch, Hima, Carey, and Cope to chip in.

This is the real issue. Forget a backup center he is fine, green but fine. How is a team this young going to win 20+ games in the ACC? Answer me that and I'll feel great about next year. Now I am feeling like 15-16 record is a stretch. NCAA be damned. And how many kids will hit the portal next year, 4 or 6? Why do we spend so much effort on HS recruiting? It is a 2010 game plan. The portal is the place to build your team. I do love what UNC has.
All good points…and I agree that JB and staff have to step up and moderate the game plan. We can’t keep constucting our lineups like it’s 10-15 years ago, and remain viable as a program.
This will be the definitive year of the JB era. If he face plants again w/ the lineup that he put in place, like he did last year, then he’s unequivocally DONE. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. The torches and pitchforks will come out, and JW will be forced to act. JMHO

Joe's going to average 20 or more. It's gonna happen.

Let's say Jesse goes up to 15 a game. I don't think that he'll see the ball enough to do any more than that. Still, that's a 25% increase in ppg. Not bad.

Judah is a wild card. I think he'll average around 12, but anywhere from like 7-8 to 16 is in play.

Benny... he has to become a consistent double figure threat. I think he will. But won't average much more than that. Let's call it 11.

So I'm at 56 compared to your 60, and feel my assumptions aren't completely outlandish.

To be a middle of the pack ACC scoring team we probably need to get to 72ish points per game.

Can we get another 16 ppg out of the 5th starter and the bench?

That feels like kind of a lot of scoring production to expect from Sy, the freshmen, and Hima, even knowing one of those players will start.

Our path to success is probably less about offense and more about defense. Jesse's a great anchor. Joe is what he is. If having more mobile forwards and a more mobile starting guard tightens the 2-3 we could be in much better shape. The higher scoring offense/no resistance defense combo was not a winning one.

If we get approximately 60 PPG from just those four, our O will not be a problem. However, 60 PPG from those four might be a tad optimistic.

We can expect 6 to 10 from Symir and probably another 5 to 10 from Taylor.

That still leaves Bunch, Hima, Carey, and Cope to chip in.

If Mintz / Joe play enough to average 15ppg each, Torrence isn't going to also average 10.

Something's got to give. There's only so many minutes, and Joe probably isn't coming out of the game much.

Agree, it might be optimistic to expect 60 points from four players -- which means that we could be flirting with rock fight territory.

Point being, an awful lot of things would need to go favorably for this to be a high scoring team. Not outside the realm of possibility, but not necessarily likely, either.

If Mintz / Joe play enough to average 15ppg each, Torrence isn't going to also average 10.

Something's got to give. There's only so many minutes, and Joe probably isn't coming out of the game much.

Agree, it might be optimistic to expect 60 points from four players -- which means that we could be flirting with rock fight territory.

Point being, an awful lot of things would need to go favorably for this to be a high scoring team. Not outside the realm of possibility, but not necessarily likely, either.
It is easy to hypothetically say what each player might average and then get out the adding machine.

But, the bottom line is that if we are to be a reasonably high scoring team, we will need to be able to get out and run and get 10+ or so easy PPG.

So, unless we can run and get those ten+ easy points, you are correct, something must give.

PS - you may be sleeping on Symir, I thought he played very impressively at the end of last season. I agree he will need starters minutes to average a full 10 ppg, but I can easily see 7 or so ppg with a lesser role.

Last edited:
Sorry to interrupt an important discussion...but to get back to the recruitment of Mounir Hima.

I don't understand all the criticism.

The Orange were looking for a BACK-UP center for this season.
That seemed to be a difficult task.
Who wants to come into a situation where you're told you'll be sitting the bench most of the game?

We found out who.
A guy who's 7 feet tall, 240 pounds and runs the floor.
He's a hulk who can move and has confidence in his ability to improve and earn PT.
When was the last time SU had a guy like that at center?

He'll probably considerably improve.
But even if he doesn't...he seems to provide what the team needs (at least for the coming season).
A guy who can come off the bench and likely provide a respectable 10 minutes or so a game.
A huge body with great length.
If he can learn the zone...it appears he can alter if not block shots and get out to pressure wings.

In addition, if he went to St. Benedicts you can count on his being a "good citizen" and teammate.

It all seems like a pretty good get given what the team was seeking.

I think he wanted a better nickname and he knew he would get one from this forum. Or maybe he didn't like living in a city where Pitt panthers reside. Don't blame him actually.
It could be this, or maybe he just likes having multiple names. Some people get a real kick out of that.

Joe's going to average 20 or more. It's gonna happen.

Let's say Jesse goes up to 15 a game. I don't think that he'll see the ball enough to do any more than that. Still, that's a 25% increase in ppg. Not bad.

Judah is a wild card. I think he'll average around 12, but anywhere from like 7-8 to 16 is in play.

Benny... he has to become a consistent double figure threat. I think he will. But won't average much more than that. Let's call it 11.

So I'm at 56 compared to your 60, and feel my assumptions aren't completely outlandish.

To be a middle of the pack ACC scoring team we probably need to get to 72ish points per game.

Can we get another 16 ppg out of the 5th starter and the bench?

That feels like kind of a lot of scoring production to expect from Sy, the freshmen, and Hima, even knowing one of those players will start.

Our path to success is probably less about offense and more about defense. Jesse's a great anchor. Joe is what he is. If having more mobile forwards and a more mobile starting guard tightens the 2-3 we could be in much better shape. The higher scoring offense/no resistance defense combo was not a winning one.

I think the defense is key more than anything. If we can't hold teams back down on average to the lower 60s and mid 60s at worse then it's gonna be tough to be better record wise than this past year. 65 a game for instance would be top 50 in def ppg. With so many youngsters we may struggle to score 65 against decent opponents and even weaker opponents who play good d. So I really think we need to be better than average or slightly above average defensively.

I could easily see the games you get 25 from Joe , 18 from Jesse, 10 from Judah and 6 from Benny and the rest of the frosh struggles for another handful. If we can't win those 63-55 type of games it's gonna be tough sledding.

It could be this, or maybe he just likes having multiple names. Some people get a real kick out of that.
Try harder, don’t despair, you can do this.

Sorry to interrupt an important discussion...but to get back to the recruitment of Mounir Hima.

I don't understand all the criticism.

The Orange were looking for a BACK-UP center for this season.
That seemed to be a difficult task.
Who wants to come into a situation where you're told you'll be sitting the bench most of the game?

We found out who.
A guy who's 7 feet tall, 240 pounds and runs the floor.
He's a hulk who can move and has confidence in his ability to improve and earn PT.
When was the last time SU had a guy like that at center?

But even if he doesn't...he seems to provide what the team needs (at least for the coming season).
A guy who can come off the bench and likely provide a respectable 10 minutes or so a game.
A huge body with great length.
If he can learn the zone...it appears he can alter if not block shots and get out to pressure wings.

In addition, if he went to St. Benedicts you can count on his being a "good citizen" and teammate.

It all seems like a pretty good get given what the team was seeking.
Yeah, because we've never brought in a 7-footer like this that couldn't provide 10 solid minutes in a backup role.:rolleyes: Cat rescuer ring a bell.
DeShonte Riley was a far better prospect, and couldn't help. There's no guarantee that either Hima or Carey will be able to help us in a few months.

Hopefully since Hima will be essentially, a junior next season, he can give us 10-12 solid minutes. Peter Carey, I would love to see redshirt. I mean, Dion Waiters probably outweighed him by 30lbs as an incoming frosh.

Last edited:
Key will be Bunch, Taylor or Mintz being able to shoot 30-35% from 3. Guess Benny can hit some also. We need to replace BB, JB and CS from 3. We will make up for any downturn (i think) with better defense, steals and rebounds. Perhaps also the type of baskets like layups in transition and easy dunks. Just need these 4 guys to be serviceable from 3 and that will also open JG3 up.

The key question with any depth add down low is whether they’ll be good enough to play 20 MPG adequately down the stretch when our starting center inevitably gets hurt from overuse and being a stick.

What is this based on other than hope?

His Box Plus Minus last year was -5

he played 10 mins in only 9 games last year. Their record in those games was 0-9.

Let's deal with reality. If he's playing 10 mins a game for us and he doesn't rapidly improve, we're gonna be in trouble. ideally he plays 5 tops.

Were people really bashing The Edwards commit? Not doubting it I just don’t recall.

Of course. We are Syracuse after all.

So I skimmed the first page and I recall one time I bought a gallon of milk but left it in my car for a day. This was in July I think.

Anyway that milk aged bit better than those takes imo.

So I skimmed the first page and I recall one time I bought a gallon of milk but left it in my car for a day. This was in July I think.

Anyway that milk aged bit better than those takes imo.
Were you drinking 2% because you are fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom