Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is more Peter Carey at his workout last month.

He is a fascinating recruit.

I am not sure I have seen a center we have recruited who is more athletic. But it isn't just athletic abiilty. He can dribble, he can pass and shoot like a forward.

His ceiling is really really high.

But when you look at what he has actually accomplished, who he has been playing against and how much he has actually played, that is also probably a record for a Syracuse basketball recruit.

Some of it could not be helped. He is from a tiny town in the middle of nowhere (north of Springfield if memory serves).

People don't come out of there and play AAU ball, and get D1 scholarships for basketball. So he missed out on the whole AAU thing and a lot of experience and exposure for most of his HS career.

Then he gets discovered and gets hooked up with an AAU team and COVID comes and shuts things down. Loses a whole season of HS basketball and development. And lots of the AAU experience too (I believe).

Then he transfers to a good school that plays basketball at a high level and is going to face good competition regularly for the first time. And he gets hurt (even before the season started I believe).

I think a PS article months ago said he was up to 210 pounds. Hopefully he had added to that. Hard to tell what parts of this video are recent but I don't see any major changes in his body from when he visited in the spring.

Lots of questions:

Can he get up to 240 pounds and retain his quickness and athletic ability?

If he does all that weight, how will his legs handle it? It sounds like the tendon thing might have been a freak injury and he will be fine. But when skinny players have leg injuries and expect to get a lot bigger, it is asking a lot of the legs. Hope they hold up.

Can he make the adjustment to playing against college players of the highest level? The jump from HS is tough for everyone but with Peter mostly shut down for 2 years and never really playing against top AAU or HS competition, his jump is as big as anyone's coming into college.

I like that he will be playing against Jesse in practice a lot his first year. Jesse has a similar build and similar athletic ability. He has a great person to mentor him and help prep him for starting when Jesse leaves. That could really help Peter develop.

He is a fascinating recruit.

I am not sure I have seen a center we have recruited who is more athletic. But it isn't just athletic abiilty. He can dribble, he can pass and shoot like a forward.

His ceiling is really really high.

But when you look at what he has actually accomplished, who he has been playing against and how much he has actually played, that is also probably a record for a Syracuse basketball recruit.

Some of it could not be helped. He is from a tiny town in the middle of nowhere (north of Springfield if memory serves).

People don't come out of there and play AAU ball, and get D1 scholarships for basketball. So he missed out on the whole AAU thing and a lot of experience and exposure for most of his HS career.

Then he gets discovered and gets hooked up with an AAU team and COVID comes and shuts things down. Loses a whole season of HS basketball and development. And lots of the AAU experience too (I believe).

Then he transfers to a good school that plays basketball at a high level and is going to face good competition regularly for the first time. And he gets hurt (even before the season started I believe).

I think a PS article months ago said he was up to 210 pounds. Hopefully he had added to that. Hard to tell what parts of this video are recent but I don't see any major changes in his body from when he visited in the spring.

Lots of questions:

Can he get up to 240 pounds and retain his quickness and athletic ability?

If he does all that weight, how will his legs handle it? It sounds like the tendon thing might have been a freak injury and he will be fine. But when skinny players have leg injuries and expect to get a lot bigger, it is asking a lot of the legs. Hope they hold up.

Can he make the adjustment to playing against college players of the highest level? The jump from HS is tough for everyone but with Peter mostly shut down for 2 years and never really playing against top AAU or HS competition, his jump is as big as anyone's coming into college.

I like that he will be playing against Jesse in practice a lot his first year. Jesse has a similar build and similar athletic ability. He has a great person to mentor him and help prep him for starting when Jesse leaves. That could really help Peter develop.
Yes, if he is healthy, the sky could be the limit. Not sure how well he can shoot but could he possibly evolve into a stretch four or just be a five who we can move around a bit and definitely bring out to the perimeter to help set picks and or pick and roll with. It would be nice to see him get some PT this season but if all he does is workout and gain 20+ pounds of strength then I would think that it would be a good first year. We've done well with small town guys before like Bouie and Lydon, so will Carey be the next in that lineage.

Love the superhero music, lol.

He's an 'X' factor. He could be a bust or the best player in this class eventually. I agree with Sutomcat that he's hardly had a chance to show what he can and can't do against good competition. I have no idea what to expect this year. if he'd to be a super hero, let's call him X-Man.

His skill set seems, despite his height, more like that of a forward. I think the shorter, stronger Maliq Brown may turn out to be the center in this group.

Clips like this are literally worthless.
I guess that because of his knee injury, we don't have any game footage from this past season.
Patellar tendon tear. I wonder if he had surgery?

I guess that because of his knee injury, we don't have any game footage from this past season.
It wasn't a tear. It was a partial tear.

He opted to have PRP to treat it. The other option was to just let it heal naturally. I know a few baseball players who have used PRP to treat slow to heal injuries and it has worked really well.

He was at 205 in January. Hopes to be at 220 by the summer.

There’s clips in this thread from the previous year. Some practice, some practice scrimmages, some game footage. I know he loves to dunk but I’ve seen other skills in those other clips. Dribbling the length of the court, passing, jumpers right handed and even one left handed jumper. Turn around jumpers from 15 feet. Reverse dunks and other creative dunks. I like him, a lot.

There’s clips in this thread from the previous year. Some practice, some practice scrimmages, some game footage. I know he loves to dunk but I’ve seen other skills in those other clips. Dribbling the length of the court, passing, jumpers right handed and even one left handed jumper. Turn around jumpers from 15 feet. Reverse dunks and other creative dunks. I like him, a lot.

Yeah, the kid has some serious hoops skills (albeit vs. air) for his height.

I mean, when Rony was a Frosh, he could literally only do 3 things:
run like a gazelle.
2-hand gorilla dunk.
foul like a madman.

Skills-wise, Carey is lightyears ahead of Rony.

Physically, Rony was lightyears ahead of Carey -
dude was already pretty solid as a young'un, and only got bigger and much more skilled as he got older.

It is still pretty amazing to me, that in the Era of the Great Center - Rony more than held his own for a decade in the NBA.
And was an absolute stud his last 2 years in Orange.

run like a gazelle.
2-hand gorilla dunk.
foul like a madman.

dude was already pretty solid as a young'un, and only got bigger and much more skilled as he got older.

It is still pretty amazing to me, that in the Era of the Great Center - Rony more than held his own for a decade in the NBA.

Everything I described wasn’t against air.

Reactions: 007
Everything I described wasn’t against air.
Carey is highly skilled. I don't think this is even debatable. Stated before, but this kid has the highest ceiling of all the incoming recruits IMO. Now that we have Mintz, that might not be as clear cut. But, I like Carey... a lot. His has lost a lot of time over the last 2 seasons and that is never a good thing, especially for a big. And, as many have said, he obviously needs to get stronger and adjust to this level of play.

Every time I watch a clip of Carey, whether it's against air or not, I always think "man this kid is really, really good."

Carey is highly skilled. I don't think this is even debatable. Stated before, but this kid has the highest ceiling of all the incoming recruits IMO. Now that we have Mintz, that might not be as clear cut. But, I like Carey... a lot. His has lost a lot of time over the last 2 seasons and that is never a good thing, especially for a big. And, as many have said, he obviously needs to get stronger and adjust to this level of play.

Every time I watch a clip of Carey, whether it's against air or not, I always think "man this kid is really, really good."
Without anointing him yet to the Basketball HOF, he seems to have some skill sets that many 7 footers don't possess, especially at his young age. He reminds me of other big guys that had late growth spurts and had some guard skills or like one of these guys from overseas that played a lot of soccer as a kid. Let's hope he stays healthy and grows stronger and develops into a fine player for the University of Syracuse.

Last edited:

run like a gazelle.
2-hand gorilla dunk.
foul like a madman.

I just can't wrap my hard around the notion that Rony was "light years ahead of Carey" physically. We all remember Rony as a beast who battled David Robinson and Patrick Ewing, but when he came in he was more like Bambi. Here's what Rony looked like in HS:
472px-Rony_Seikaly_Panathinaikos_BC_1982.jpeg

Lightyears ahead of Carey? Not to my eye.

Without anointing yet him to the Basketball HOF, he seems to have some skill sets that many 7 footers don't possess, especially at his young age. He reminds me of other big guys that had late growth spurts and had some guard skills or like one of these guys from overseas that played a lot of soccer as a kid. Let's hope he stays healthy and grows stronger and develops into a fine player for the University of Syracuse.
Yeah, and here I thought that I had stopped just short of "anointing him to Basketball HOF."

Yeah, and here I thought that I had stopped just short of "anointing him to Basketball HOF."
No, that was directed towards my comment, lest anything think that I was comparing him to any NBA superstar

Reactions: 007
Carey's the lowest ranked of the 6 recruits, but I'm wildly excited for him. I think he can turn into a unicorn. He'll probably play center, but if he can develop a shot (which I think he can based on his athleticism and soft touch/finesse), he could play the 4. It'd be way easier to get minutes as an underclassman if he can shoot and doesn't have to guard the opposing center. Imagine if Jesse plays out his eligibility for two years and Carey puts on weight and learns to shoot and we can play twin tower basketball Carey's sophomore year with Carey at the 4 and Jesse at the 5. Hopefully Carey sticks with us if he doesn't play much for a while, and hopefully he stays healthy. He'll be one of our most important pieces in a couple years.

Think he's a Boom or Bust guy. Will either be really good or never do anything.

I can hear JB saying "You've got remember - he didn't play much basketball before he got here."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom