Class of 2022 - C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Peter Carey (MA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
he can’t get out to both corners at the same time.

1649343597703.png

Okay, I'm diving really deep trying to find full game videos of Peter Carey from the past couple years but it's obviously very difficult given his injuries, COVID seasons, etc.

I think this game might feature him (#31 on NY Lightning?) You can see what may be him very clearly at exactly 2:00 in. I'm hoping that's him but tough to say for sure as the video isn't exactly HD and there's no commentary. One thing to keep in mind if you watch this game...they have the score flipped. NY lightning is the black and white team but every time Middlesex scores, they add the points to NY Lightning and vice versa.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm diving really deep trying to find full game videos of Peter Carey from the past couple years but it's obviously very difficult given his injuries, COVID seasons, etc.

I think this game might feature him (#31 on NY Lightning?) You can see what may be him very clearly at exactly 2:00 in. I'm hoping that's him but tough to say for sure as the video isn't exactly HD and there's no commentary.
Yep. If you look at the highlight videos I posted 2 pages ago he was wearing 31.

Do we know which high schools he actually played in games for? Did he ever actually play for Northfield Mount Hermon or was he out the whole time he was there? There's a decent number of NMH games on YouTube but trying to figure out what window of time he would have actually played in.

I think this game might feature him (#31 on NY Lightning?) You can see what may be him very clearly at exactly 2:00 in. I'm hoping that's him but tough to say for sure as the video isn't exactly HD and there's no commentary. One thing to keep in mind if you watch this game...they have the score flipped. NY lightning is the black and white team but every time Middlesex scores, they add the points to NY Lightning and vice versa.
Okay, just finished watching this game. By my unofficial count, I believe he finished with:
  • 9 points on 4/8 shooting (all 2's) and 1/2 from the FT line (including an airball) for a TS% of 50.7%
  • 4 rebounds
  • 1 assist and 0 turnovers
  • 1 foul
Starting with the good, as we all know, he's very athletic for a big man. On top of just being able to run and jump, he has really good coordination/body control, allowing him to reach back in mid-air to make the most out of bad alley-oop passes, spinning in traffic, bringing the ball up the court himself after rebounds, etc. He's a nice ball of clay to work with (assuming he hasn't lost that athleticism with his injury/doesn't lose it as he puts on muscle). The dude loves to jump; he seems to always be looking for the helpside blocks and is always hoping his teammates will throw him an alley-oop. He basically just set ball screens and rolled to the hoop hoping for a lob the entire time he was on the court.

To the bad side, he's just not a physical player at all. He doesn't really offer any resistance when people post him up, he doesn't really try to seal off his man when he posts up on the offensive end, doesn't set strong screens and doesn't really attack the defensive glass. He only attemped 3 shots in this game that weren't layups/hook shots; a short 5 foot jumpshot and two free throws. He airballed 2 of the 3. His shooting form doesn't really look bad; he just doesn't seem to be very good at it yet.

All in all, seems like a good jumping off point for a developmental big. At least in the short term, he should probably play the wing on our zone defense as he'll probably get manhandled if he plays in the middle. Long run and jump athletes on the backline of our zone is a pretty good thing to have, especially after this past season. Not really sure what his short-term role would be offensively as I didn't really get to see him do anything outside of setting ball screens and rolling to the hoop; maybe that's the way we'd utilize him but not sure what our true C would be doing in that event.

If this game was an accurate picture of who he currently is as a player, he's probably more of a long-term project as many have suspected. I just don't think the guy in this video is ready for the physicality of ACC basketball and he doesn't appear to have the offensive skillset yet to mesh with someone like Jesse or Maliq Brown if he plays C for us. But the athleticism and coordination give him a chance to develop into a real player in the long-term.

Ah hah! Found some more full length videos of him from his previous high school. I believe these are all from his sophomore year.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go ahead and stop here. Kinda hilarious that people talk about him like he had zero exposure at all and meanwhile his games are the easiest of anyone's to find.

I watched this. Bearing in mind it was a while ago….

Peter looked very raw. Not good at presenting himself for the ball. Does not use his lower body to screen his defender. Not strong enough to hold someone off down low. Can’t hold position to rebound well. Doesn’t even really appear to want the ball a lot. I think he is the 4th or 5th option on this team. Down the stretch when the game was on the line, he didn’t play at all.

Now his team has a bunch of guards who can’t pass and like to shoot a lot. They run no plays for him.

Most of the time he gets the ball when a guard drives and gets shut down and sees Peter near the basket and just throws it up near him. He usually jumps up, catches it and throws it up at the basket. Usually makes it. He has a really nice shooting touch. Good hand to eye coordination.

Has a couple nice blocks but is block crazy and often gives up position to try and get a block. Got caught jumping too early a number of times. Bad fundamentals just blocking the path of his man to the basket.

But he is quick as hell. He can jump really well.

Wildly inconsistent. Gets fouled at one point. First FT is a complete air ball. Like 3 feet wide right and 2 feet short. What the hell? And then throws up a feathery smooth swish on the second FT.

Really rebounded the ball poorly. I think he only had 1 or 2 rebounds all game long. Needs to block out better, be more forceful and more than anything, he needs to get stronger.

Don’t know when this game was played by I am guessing he played this game at 185 or so. He was at 205 back in January. We probably won’t see him play again until exhibitions in November. Hope he has up to 220 or so then.

High ceiling. Great potential. But given how green he is and how weak, he might be a massive failure too. He really is going to be interesting to see watch develop.

The league he played in Mass has to be about equal to the league Girard played in NY. Not very strong IMO.

Kids raw. Will take a year in the weight room

Okay, just finished watching this game. By my unofficial count, I believe he finished with:
  • 9 points on 4/8 shooting (all 2's) and 1/2 from the FT line (including an airball) for a TS% of 50.7%
  • 4 rebounds
  • 1 assist and 0 turnovers
  • 1 foul
Starting with the good, as we all know, he's very athletic for a big man. On top of just being able to run and jump, he has really good coordination/body control, allowing him to reach back in mid-air to make the most out of bad alley-oop passes, spinning in traffic, bringing the ball up the court himself after rebounds, etc. He's a nice ball of clay to work with (assuming he hasn't lost that athleticism with his injury/doesn't lose it as he puts on muscle). The dude loves to jump; he seems to always be looking for the helpside blocks and is always hoping his teammates will throw him an alley-oop. He basically just set ball screens and rolled to the hoop hoping for a lob the entire time he was on the court.

To the bad side, he's just not a physical player at all. He doesn't really offer any resistance when people post him up, he doesn't really try to seal off his man when he posts up on the offensive end, doesn't set strong screens and doesn't really attack the defensive glass. He only attemped 3 shots in this game that weren't layups/hook shots; a short 5 foot jumpshot and two free throws. He airballed 2 of the 3. His shooting form doesn't really look bad; he just doesn't seem to be very good at it yet.

All in all, seems like a good jumping off point for a developmental big. At least in the short term, he should probably play the wing on our zone defense as he'll probably get manhandled if he plays in the middle. Long run and jump athletes on the backline of our zone is a pretty good thing to have, especially after this past season. Not really sure what his short-term role would be offensively as I didn't really get to see him do anything outside of setting ball screens and rolling to the hoop; maybe that's the way we'd utilize him but not sure what our true C would be doing in that event.

If this game was an accurate picture of who he currently is as a player, he's probably more of a long-term project as many have suspected. I just don't think the guy in this video is ready for the physicality of ACC basketball and he doesn't appear to have the offensive skillset yet to mesh with someone like Jesse or Maliq Brown if he plays C for us. But the athleticism and coordination give him a chance to develop into a real player in the long-term.

Was there a date on that video? I think it might be the summer between his sophomore and junior years.

Was there a date on that video? I think it might be the summer between his sophomore and junior years.
Exactly somewhere in here is a more recent video against other highly regarded players and he’s looks to me in it a kid who contributes from day one and starts year two.

Then again I thought we’d be good this past year………

The title of the video says 2022... not sure how that is possible given he was injured right?

Assuming it was posted shortly after the game was played, it was July 2021. I assume he reclassified to move a year back at some point. He's listed as a sophomore in these high school games I found from around January-March 2019 so that would have made him a senior last year which obviously is not the case.

The title of the video says 2022... not sure how that is possible given he was injured right?
I believe that's just the name of the AAU team, basically labeling them as the class of 2022 team.

I believe that's just the name of the AAU team, basically labeling them as the class of 2022 team.

Ah ok. I agree with everything you noted as well as tomcat. My big question is that his coach mentioned as he surfaced as a recruit the big jump he had made. It would make sense if he was referring to after the NYL game above as he is so much just a project in that game. You can see some things to work with but that doesn't true up with how his coach described his very recent growth.

Curious just how much he has improved since that point to the point we went full court press to get him here.

Decided to watch this one as it's a semi-final game so presumably a higher level of competition than most of the others. Should note this game was from March 2019 so he's had 3 years to develop since then. Peter Carey unofficially finished with:
  • 12 points on 5/8 shooting from the field (all 2's) and 2/2 from the FT line for a TS% of 67.6%
  • 1 assist to 5 turnovers (all just inaccurate passes)
  • 8 rebounds
  • 1 block and 1 steal
I'm assuming Carsten Carey is Peter's older brother and Carsten was the star of the team (and won Player of the Year in this league while Peter made the league's 2nd team (basically somewhere around the 15th-20th best player in their league as a sophomore).

Their offense mostly revolved around trying to get the ball to Carsten in the post with Peter setting a lot of screens to free Carsten up for post position and then popping up to the FT line to run a high-low with him. Peter was definitely more of a complimentary player on this team; I would guess he was 3rd or 4th on the team in shot attempts but he's mostly an afterthought in their offense. You can still see his lack of physicality popping up here, but it doesn't bite him as much against these guys as they just aren't big enough to punish him.

I think my previous scouting report basically all still applies here; he's a raw run and jump kid with good coordination to go with it but just isn't all that skilled yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom