Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

Looks like he had another stellar defensive outing, 14 rebounds, 4 blocks and 1 steal to go along with his 21 points. Moustapha also had 2 assists. The consistency in his rebounding these early games is just amazing. I think that 14 rebounds is the lowest in his last 5 games and most if not all were 16 or 17 boards.
Coach Red said he was going to be a monster on the boards right? Does he pick lottery numbers as well?

jordoo said:
Diange is going to shock the sheet out of the fans here that really don't follow recruiting. He is a bit under rated overall but the big thing they won't expect is how skilled and physically ready he is compared to most BiG guys coming in. His rating is almost 100% based off on court performance rather than potential or WOW plays.

I love Diagne. My favorite recruit. Will arrive ready to contribute. The only concern I have is that his game tears up HS kids...I think he'll struggle just a but adjusting to the more physical college game...but even so,..by mud season next year he'll assert himself. He's undersized at the five, but that's his game. Brant plays more like a 4 offensively...which is a problem because he's a college 5...and no guarantee he's coming.

We're fine either way

I love Diagne. My favorite recruit. Will arrive ready to contribute. The only concern I have is that his game tears up HS kids...I think he'll struggle just a but adjusting to the more physical college game...but even so,..by mud season next year he'll assert himself. He's undersized at the five, but that's his game. Brant plays more like a 4 offensively...which is a problem because he's a college 5...and no guarantee he's coming.

We're fine either way

Agreed Bryant has more of a highpost PF type of offensive game but will only be able to play the 5 on defense from what I have seen. If Diange can play the 4 better than Rick did you might see them together a little bit with Diange being the low post guy and Bryant the HighPost guy on offense.
There is always an adjustment going to college but Diange at least looks the part physically so its not a Chris situation where he needs to add weight as much as he needs to simply adjust. He seems for whatever reason to be one of those undersized 5's that thrives in that roll as you mentioned.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I remember "mud season" very well from my younger years in upstate. Its simply spring time where I'm at now. lol

With as well as he is playing is there any change he could really surprise and be a Sullinger type of player?

With the numbers he is putting up all I can say is, "Diallo who?"
Yeah, serious man. Another thing about these numbers. If you look at each game, he seems to do this no matter who is guarding him/matching up against him. Faced a few decent bigs early in the season, but now that he's in league play, he's still doing it.

We need consistency! Couple two tree more Roc type guys, hah?

I just got some great info on Diagne. First, some context. My freshman year in at Chatham High School I played hoops and it was my coach's first job in coaching. He now coaches the varsity at CHS, and has for probably 20+ years. They recently played Delbarton, who recently played Diagne's Pope John. I am still in touch with the CHS coach and my good friend is friend's with him and speaks to him all the time because he is in coaching in Chatham too.

Anyway, the CHS coach told my friend he was talking to the Delbarton coach, who raved about Diagne. The tenor of the conversation was, "you have to see this kid play to believe how good he is." He said he was a man among boys. He had one dunk where his head almost hit the rim. One of his smaller players actually asked the coach during a timeout, "is it alright if I just let number 35 (Diagne) go by me if he comes down the lane again? I don't want to get in that guy's way." The coach told the CHS coach, "Diagne is a beast. Glad he's off to Syracuse, so we don't have to deal with him next year."

I just got some great info on Diagne. First, some context. My freshman year in at Chatham High School I played hoops and it was my coach's first job in coaching. He now coaches the varsity at CHS, and has for probably 20+ years. They recently played Delbarton, who recently played Diagne's Pope John. I am still in touch with the CHS coach and my good friend is friend's with him and speaks to him all the time because he is in coaching in Chatham too.

Anyway, the CHS coach told my friend he was talking to the Delbarton coach, who raved about Diagne. The tenor of the conversation was, "you have to see this kid play to believe how good he is." He said he was a man among boys. He had one dunk where his head almost hit the rim. One of his smaller players actually asked the coach during a timeout, "is it alright if I just let number 35 (Diagne) go by me if he comes down the lane again? I don't want to get in that guy's way." The coach told the CHS coach, "Diagne is a beast. Glad he's off to Syracuse, so we don't have to deal with him next year."
ngbbs4eb1ff6f7bbb6.jpg

I like all of our 2014 commits but I'm most excited for Diagne. I know they are only highlight reels but I love his feel on offense and the intensity he plays with. When he first committed I didn't have much of an opinion because at the time I thought we could have a shot at a guy like Diallo, but at this point I prefer Diagne to Diallo.