Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

Man, that's a good question. I think you'd have to go all the way back to Earl Duncan, who was prop 48. Point being, it sure is uncommon.

Who was the last commit that we lost as a non-qualifier?

You are confusing college football recruits with basketball. Academic non-qualifiers are a lot less frequent in college hoops cause those kids prep before they don't qualify.

College FB has kids who don't qualify and enroll at prep schools to wait another year.

Please tell me the last basketball commit to Syracuse that didn't qualify and then came to Syracuse the following year? Don't try using Ron Patterson as he was committed to Indiana and then Crean snaked him and used academics as a reason.
James Southerland? I honestly can't remember, I'm trying to think if/when it's ever happened. Did Dirty do a year of prep for academic reasons, or other reasons?

But yeah...if a kid doesn't qualify, it's FAR from a sure thing he'll ever play at Syracuse.

Man, that's a good question. I think you'd have to go all the way back to Earl Duncan, who was prop 48. Point being, it sure is uncommon.

Moten went to a Prep school in New Hampshire.

I'll say this. It's rare that a kid doesn't qualify, sits out a year, and then qualifies because it's rare that a kid doesn't qualify in the first place. Are we even certain he's not going to qualify? And, if so, do we even know the reason he won't qualify? Because I'm pretty sure that will play a big role.

Instead of eligibility, I'm thinking it might have something to do with his student visa. His host father alluded to that in his interview. Or what about the flight back to Senegal? Is there some ridiculous NCAA technicality that could make that an illegal benefit?

Or family obligation? Poor kid lost his dad and sister while he was thousands of miles away.

I just want to wait n see.

Until i hear or see otherwise.

I trust what i read in the article or else why say anything at all.

I just want to wait n see.

Until i hear or see otherwise.

I trust what i read in the article or else why say anything at all.
You're right, no one has ever said anything in an article that wasn't true, or had facts that changed over time, or was misleading in any way. Printed news is always 100% infallible, particularly when the quotes are coming from a third party.

You're right, no one has ever said anything in an article that wasn't true, or had facts that changed over time, or was misleading in any way. Printed news is always 100% infallible, particularly when the quotes are coming from a third party.

If there is some sort of eligibility, test score or transcript issue it would be the School/Coach and the host family that would seemingly lose the most face. The only people we have received information from saying 100% everything is good to go has been the Coach and the Host family. The staff or SU Athletics has not weighed in at all but they are suddenly showing interest of some level on a guy that just got his release a week ago and is likely one of the best big guys still available in the 2015 class. None of that means Diagne won't play at SU in the fall but if we want to live in reality its very likely that at this point in time Diagne is not cleared and the staff is at least lining up a backup in case that does not change.

Last edited:
If there is some sort of eligibility, test score or transcript issue it would be the School/Coach and the host family that would seemingly lose the most face. The only people we have received information from saying 100% everything is good to go has been the Coach and the Host family. The staff or SU Athletics has not weighed in at all but they are suddenly showing interest of some level on a guy that just got his release a week ago and is likely one of the best big guys still available in the 2015 class. None of that means Diagne won't play at SU in the fall but if we want to live in reality its very likely that at this point in time Diagne is not cleared and the staff is at least lining up a backup in case that does not change.
Could we not just have one of the tight ends walk on to the team? Save the friggin' scholarship.

Could we not just have one of the tight ends walk on to the team? Save the friggin' scholarship.

At that point its unlikely he would be better than Chino. Jones would likely be able to get some minutes this year and most importantly some depth at the 4 where without Diagne we would be extremely thin and not just in the number of bodies but the bodies themselves.

Just looking at it purely from a what makes sense:

Eligibility issues of some sort no matter what is being said by those close to Diagne. No way SU is showing Brodricks Jones love unless they have at least some worry of Diagne not qualifying. (has to be Diagne because the other 3 frosh are in summer school already) No knock on Jones he looks like he will be a pretty good player down the road but with our scholarship situation and things being this late in the game its not a hard one to figure out.

Hopefully it is simply a CYOA thing just incase and whatever is going on with Diagne gets resolved and Jones never even visits here.
I would assume Chukwu's on campus also. He's not a freshman, but getting into the program early and taking some classes to lighten the load might not be a bad idea. Any sight of a 7'2 guy?

I would assume Chukwu's on campus also. He's not a freshman, but getting into the program early and taking some classes to lighten the load might not be a bad idea. Any sight of a 7'2 guy?

Honestly I haven't heard anything on that front. I would think that Mike or Donna will have a story up when he gets hits campus.