Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

It actually was a tweet about Diagne, from Cusesigel (Nunes): I saw it first on Ottos Grove: http://.com/hoops-fans-rejoice-the-mamba-has-landed/

Also here: https://twitter.com/cusesigel?original_referer=http://.com/hoops-fans-rejoice-the-mamba-has-landed/&profile_id=2437374571&tw_i=620746761313738752&tw_p=embeddedtimeline&tw_w=344713329262084096

Oh, we knew about that already. I thought it was something new. No one seems too satisfied with Tapha's host father's assurances referenced above.

Oh, we knew about that already. I thought it was something new. No one seems too satisfied with Tapha's host father's assurances referenced above.
Well at least the "plan" for Tapha is to be back early August. He's missing classes ... which will make things difficult (more credits to carry during the fall and spring semesters). And he's missing SU S/C, but sounds like he's working hard in Dakar. Clearly the staff is nervous though.
http://www.At their request, this n.../1563302-diagne-fully-expects-to-be-on-campus

Well at least the "plan" for Tapha is to be back early August. He's missing classes ... which will make things difficult (more credits to carry during the fall and spring semesters). And he's missing SU S/C, but sounds like he's working hard in Dakar. Clearly the staff is nervous though.
http://www.. . . . . . . . . /college/syracuse/story/1563302-diagne-fully-expects-to-be-on-campus

He won't miss the strength and conditioning; he's build like a tank. As you said, missing classes will put him behind, and on the court, he will miss the bonding with teammates and getting acclimated. The important thing is to make sure he gets cleared in time for the Fall semester.

Just what this program needed-- more drama.:bang:

He won't miss the strength and conditioning; he's build like a tank. As you said, missing classes will put him behind, and on the court, he will miss the bonding with teammates and getting acclimated. The important thing is to make sure he gets cleared in time for the Fall semester.

He's running on the beach though!

Missing classes isn't a huge deal. So he's 2-3 classes behind others, there'll be time for that. As you said, the bonding and getting used to college will be the biggest loss for him. Assuming he does arrive in August, it's not going to be as easy jumping right into classes and soon after, practice, while his teammates will have already gotten used to the grind. I just hope the biggest issue is getting acclimated in August...

The world is filled with kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It's heaven and hell.
Well. Played.
(and that song gives me shivers to this day)

Missing classes isn't a huge deal. So he's 2-3 classes behind others, there'll be time for that. As you said, the bonding and getting used to college will be the biggest loss for him. Assuming he does arrive in August, it's not going to be as easy jumping right into classes and soon after, practice, while his teammates will have already gotten used to the grind. I just hope the biggest issue is getting acclimated in August...

I'm pretty confident when he does arrive he will still be 6'9" 230. As long as he doesn't pull a Fabricio I think he will do fine academically. The most important thing is he can run up and down the court, look meanacing in the center of the zone, and block a few shots.

The same thing happened with Roberson, and there is little doubt that his late clearance set him back in his development with us. He was lost his freshman year.

http://www.. . . . . . . . . /college/syracuse/story/1563302-diagne-fully-expects-to-be-on-campus

He won't necessarily carry more credits in Fall and Spring than the other players. The current program most ahletes are on seems to get them a degree in 3 years. He could just get one in 3.5 years while maintaing the same per semester course load.

He won't necessarily carry more credits in Fall and Spring than the other players. The current program most ahletes are on seems to get them a degree in 3 years. He could just get one in 3.5 years while maintaing the same per semester course load.
Without checking, I think they have to have 14 to be f-t students (eligible). With all the traveling, that's 3x4-credit classes plus a 2 credit class (usually the worst ones). Not to mention there could be language issues (hopefully not, I haven't heard of any). It's not a disaster, but not optimal either.

Without checking, I think they have to have 14 to be f-t students (eligible). With all the traveling, that's 3x4-credit classes plus a 2 credit class (usually the worst ones). Not to mention there could be language issues (hopefully not, I haven't heard of any). It's not a disaster, but not optimal either.

14 credits seems odd to be considered full-time. Is this a Syracuse University thing or something required for athletes? I would think 12 credits is the norm for minimum full-time standing.

And if all players need these many credits in the Fall and Spring semesters, I don't think it puts Diagne in a different boat than he'd be in had he arrived on time (on a per semester basis). I think players typically only take 2 or 3 Summer courses because the full-time requirement doesn't apply to Summer and Winter sessions.

14 credits seems odd to be considered full-time. Is this a Syracuse University thing or something required for athletes? I would think 12 credits is the norm for minimum full-time standing.

And if all players need these many credits in the Fall and Spring semesters, I don't think it puts Diagne in a different boat than he'd be in had he arrived on time (on a per semester basis). I think players typically only take 2 or 3 Summer courses because the full-time requirement doesn't apply to Summer and Winter sessions.

It was 12 to be full time from 03-07. I only took 12 when I was a senior both semesters because Iwanted to have fun.

Which kinda sucks. They should be able to spread the class load and have it count. They should change it to full time # of credits for the academic year.

You might be right about 12 (24 for fall/spring). I have just enough time to find the rule (14.4.3). You can verify the number of hours (pg. 162):
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools..._non_event/2014-15-ncaa-division-1-manual.pdf

Which kinda sucks. They should be able to spread the class load and have it count. They should change it to full time # of credits for the academic year.
That's why the summer is helpful.

That's why the summer is helpful.

Well (for the sake of example), if full time is 24 hours per academic year, then they should be able to take 8 in summer/fall/spring

Well (for the sake of example), if full time is 24 hours per academic year, then they should be able to take 8 in summer/fall/spring
Yep, and since he's not here taking summer classes, that increases the load in the fall and spring. I have no idea if Diagne is an academic/English whiz, or if this will even be a problem. However, generally speaking, early arrival's helpful and he's missing it.

Why can't he take online summer classes? Surely they at least have dial-up in Senegal.

He would have to be qualified and cleared to do so. I would guess that what is needed for the student visa as well. It seems there is some sort of hold up somewhere.

Per Waters, today:

Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com 2 hours ago
@Igorthefool

His American host dad says that he expects Moustapha to be ready to go once school starts.

I can tell you this, it's not about grades. It's the complicated process of the NCAA verifying the transcripts for these kids who come from overseas, particularly Africa. Sometimes their US schools put them in a grade because they're lacking in English or whatever, but the NCAA sees the transcript and says they should've been in a higher grade. It's not fair to the kids.

Per Waters, today:

Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com 2 hours ago
@Igorthefool

His American host dad says that he expects Moustapha to be ready to go once school starts.

I can tell you this, it's not about grades. It's the complicated process of the NCAA verifying the transcripts for these kids who come from overseas, particularly Africa. Sometimes their US schools put them in a grade because they're lacking in English or whatever, but the NCAA sees the transcript and says they should've been in a higher grade. It's not fair to the kids.

Basically another example of the NCAA with a kid for no good reason. This is a guy from another country, not a native English speaker and yet he managed a qualifying score on his SAT. Who really cares what classes he was taking in his home county early on in highschool. The NCAA really doesn't care about these kids at all.

Basically another example of the NCAA with a kid for no good reason. This is a guy from another country, not a native English speaker and yet he managed a qualifying score on his SAT. Who really cares what classes he was taking in his home county early on in highschool. The NCAA really doesn't care about these kids at all.

Will end up being unnecessary hand wringing on this board for nothing.

Also MW said he doesn't take much or think much of the interest in Brodricks Jones.