Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Page 103 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

longtimefan said:
I don't like the double meaning of your statement! :confused:
We'll be fine. Too much panic setting in.

This gets the scholarship reduction done a year early and gives battle a guaranteed spot.

In my first post I was of the opinion we needed to get the roster to ten for the penalty to begin. I also thought TB would be one of the ten. It seemed like we were headed in that direction until today. I do not think the result is a simple matter of TB choosing IU over us, there has to be more.

Henny & Coke said:
How can I be wrong about thinking it's "strange" when I get to define whats "strange" to me???? :crazy: Bryant's wanting to be away from his mother may be 100% true...and yet, a guy allowing something like that to be the #1 influence on such a big decision as where he will be attending college for 1-2 years before hopefully then going to the NBA to make millions of dollars is crazy/strange to me. Honestly, who lets such a trivial factor like wanting to get away from someone factor into such a hugely important decision? And, for the record...Syracuse is still over an hour away from Rochester! He is still living on his own, and away from his mother! And who then passes up the perennially top 25 ranked team in his own backyard to play for a coach who may not legitimately still be coaching the program one year from now? I believe Thomas is the only top 100 ranked prospect that Indiana has signed up for next year, correct? If so...that's because it's not a great situation!!!! I'm sorry, I get to define what's "strange" to me...and this all fits my definition.

Marcus Douthit.

It's just depressing. When has Syracuse last picked up one of these late and great recruits?

It seems like SU has gone into the last few seasons with serious question marks. Not too mention I'd love to see some big man depth since the team has been snake bit with injuries/suspensions to the front court. McCullough with no Bryant was still exciting, but without both, it's thin.

It'd be nice to go into the season as a freight train again like a UK, Duke or KU.

I agree it makes no sense. Makes me wonder if they told him we can't guarantee you a scholarship until we get a reduction on appeal or the NCAA agrees we can take the deferral and Mom was ok waiting but TB wasn't?

I don't understand the claims that we haven't been in touch in months.
we didn't tell him anything like that and that is a fact. He didn't want to come here and had a different reason every time he was asked.

we didn't tell him anything like that and that is a fact. He didn't want to come here and had a different reason every time he was asked.
Probably because he didn't want to tell his mom that he wanted to get away from her.

Chris McCullough
He didn't exactly drag out his recruitment by committing almost a full two years before his college career started. SU seems to pick up one top 25 recruit each class that's pretty much wired to them and then that's it. Rarely (ever?) have they picked up a top flight kid who committed late and might have competition for a starting spot.

Bryant just announced. Indiana
image.jpg

It used to be that a near miss like this one would really hurt. You'd have to watch the guy you lost for the next 4 years. Bryant is one and done. So we won't be quite as good as we might have been for one year.

rrlbees said:
Way too much panic by some.
I actually don't think it's the worst thing if for no other reason than a little more class balance. I do wish hammer stuck a bit longer.

Pfister, no argument there. With only 10 scholarships SU can't afford projects like Obokoh and Patterson. Looked up rankings in Scout. BJ was a 4 star but Obokoh was 3 star and coming out of HS I couldn't find a ranking on Patterson. SU must have seen something in Obokoh that scouting services didn't. I think of a 3 star as going to a mid level school.

Pfister, no argument there. With only 10 scholarships SU can't afford projects like Obokoh and Patterson. Looked up rankings in Scout. BJ was a 4 star but Obokoh was 3 star and coming out of HS I couldn't find a ranking on Patterson. SU must have seen something in Obokoh that scouting services didn't. I think of a 3 star as going to a mid level school.

What they saw in Obokoh was his high school teammate and buddy Thomas Bryant. Spoiler alert: it didn't work out as planned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom