Class of 2015 - C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 C/PF Thomas Bryant (NY) Verballed to Indiana

Syracuse recruit Thomas Bryant had a good time on his official visit to SU - once he got there (PS: Waters)

15908395-mmmain.jpg

"He has been invited to attend Kentucky's Big Blue Madness, but the trip hasn't been scheduled. The emergence of Kentucky would introduce a new school to Bryant's list of five schools, which also includes Ohio State and Kansas."

Ugh.

"He has been invited to attend Kentucky's Big Blue Madness, but the trip hasn't been scheduled. The emergence of Kentucky would introduce a new school to Bryant's list of five schools, which also includes Ohio State and Kansas."

Ugh.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Cal really respects Boeheim's talent evaluations? I know big boy schools are going to go up against each other fairly regularly on the recruiting trail, but it seems like Cal throws his hat into the ring late in the process with an inordinate amount of Cuse targets (Coleman, Davis, etc.).

Does anyone else get the feeling that Cal really respects Boeheim's talent evaluations? I know big boy schools are going to go up against each other fairly regularly on the recruiting trail, but it seems like Cal throws his hat into the ring late in the process with an inordinate amount of Cuse targets (Coleman, Davis, etc.).

I still wonder about Davis, if we could have gotten him on a visit early like we just did with Moyer who knows. We were on him very early with an offer and one of the first big time schools to do so. Of course once UK got involved that was it. I tend to agree it seems that Cal uses not just JB but a couple of other coaches as well to help him decide which players to go after.

I still wonder about Davis, if we could have gotten him on a visit early like we just did with Moyer who knows. We were on him very early with an offer and one of the first big time schools to do so. Of course once UK got involved that was it. I tend to agree it seems that Cal uses not just JB but a couple of other coaches as well to help him decide which players to go after.

This has been reported in the media, so I want to point out up front that this post isn't just sour grapes over a recruit we lost, but there were apparently some shady things associated with Davis's recruiting process. As you point out, we were on Davis early--had identified him before other programs, he would have been a great fit in our system, etc. But reportedly, as Davis began to blow up, his dad wanted to cash in, and asked for money to steer him to programs. The asking price was $200K, if you believe the the media coverage about this situation.

All I know is that we were on Davis hot and heavy one day, and then we abruptly dropped out and went in a different direction [Rakim Christmas]. That suggests to me that there is some fire behind the smoke. Given the above and our abrupt self-selectment out of unibrow's recruitment, I don't think it was a case of UK swooping in and scooping him up as much as it was a case of standard Cal dirty pool on the recruiting trail.

I doubt this staff lets Bryant get away like Davis did. Bryant's parents sound like good people and not the type that would pass on the love SU has paid him all along for Cal's 11th hour theatrics.

Sorry, Cal. USA Basketball...er...SU Basketball wins out here. ;)

Last edited:
This has been reported in the media, so I want to point out up front that this post isn't just sour grapes over a recruit we lost, but there were apparently some shady things associated with Davis's recruiting process. As you point out, we were on Davis early--had identified him before other programs, he would have been a great fit in our system, etc. But reportedly, as Davis began to blow up, his dad wanted to cash in, and asked for money to steer him to programs. The asking price was $200K, if you believe the the media coverage about this situation.

All I know is that we were on Davis hot and heavy one day, and then we abruptly dropped out and went in a different direction [Rakim Christmas]. That suggests to me that there is some fire behind the smoke. Given the above and our abrupt self-selectment out of unibrow's recruitment, I don't think it was a case of UK swooping in and scooping him up as much as it was a case of standard Cal dirty pool on the recruiting trail.

I try t0 block these memories out. LOL. You are probably correct that if it hadn't have been UK it still wouldn't have been us because we did abruptly stop recruiting him after having the full court press on. And as you mention the news that did come out pointed toward Dad looking for a payoff which we weren't going to give. I was just thinking more or less if he had come and committed on the spot who knows.

Yes, definitely thought this about Cal once or twice. Last year, he called JB early about zone advise. Come on JB: get with the times. There are easy ways to phone block loafers and solicitors! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If we had Anthony Davis we would have gone undefeated and been considered one of the greatest teams of all time. I don't think I'll ever get over that.

Let me say this...I'm a shade under 6'4" and Thomas towered over me at the airport. No way he is 6'9"...I'm thinking he is closer to 6'10" or 6'11". He has such a great frame for Boeheim's system...a perfect match. He is closer to Roosevelt Bouie than Louis Orr in muscle development. Long and lean but you can tell he will be strong...especially with another year of maturation. The kid carried himself well in public. IMHO, he is a must get.

Let me say this...I'm a shade under 6'4" and Thomas towered over me at the airport. No way he is 6'9"...I'm thinking he is closer to 6'10" or 6'11". He has such a great frame for Boeheim's system...a perfect match. He is closer to Roosevelt Bouie than Louis Orr in muscle development. Long and lean but you can tell he will be strong...especially with another year of maturation. The kid carried himself well in public. IMHO, he is a must get.

Mark, didn't you say that you talked with him? If it isn't too much trouble, would you mind summarizing the interaction for the board [or would you prefer to keep it private]?

If we had Anthony Davis we would have gone undefeated and been considered one of the greatest teams of all time. I don't think I'll ever get over that.
If "ifs" and "buts" were beers and nuts we'd always be having one hell of a party around here. It's ridiculous to get upset over things that "didn't happen". The fact of the matter is that if you are a Syracuse Basketball fan you can reasonably expect to be pretty happy with the team they put out on the floor and year in and year out they are going to complete at the top level of college basketball. Some seasons, with a little luck they might even be one of the final 8 or 4 teams in the Nation when it comes down to the whole ball of wax at the end of the season.

Everyone should be more than happy with the kids that they've been landing over the past 6 years or so. We've been at the top of the list as far as getting talented kids and even more incredible is the fact that JB consistently picks the under the radar guys early on who later become big time contributors for us.

If "ifs" and "buts" were beers and nuts we'd always be having one hell of a party around here. It's ridiculous to get upset over things that "didn't happen". The fact of the matter is that if you are a Syracuse Basketball fan you can reasonably expect to be pretty happy with the team they put out on the floor and year in and year out they are going to complete at the top level of college basketball. Some seasons, with a little luck they might even be one of the final 8 or 4 teams in the Nation when it comes down to the whole ball of wax at the end of the season.

Everyone should be more than happy with the kids that they've been landing over the past 6 years or so. We've been at the top of the list as far as getting talented kids and even more incredible is the fact that JB consistently picks the under the radar guys early on who later become big time contributors for us.
I lost you at beer and nuts. I can never get past that point. :)
But yeah, you're right. This is a great time to be an SU fan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, didn't you say that you talked with him? If it isn't too much trouble, would you mind summarizing the interaction for the board [or would you prefer to keep it private]?
No I didn't say I talked to him...that would be a secondary NCAA violation. I was next to a guy in a UK Baseball Cap and he was saying he would look great in Orange.

No I didn't say I talked to him...that would be a secondary NCAA violation. I was next to a guy in a UK Baseball Cap and he was saying he would look great in Orange.

Didn't mean to put you on the spot. Obviously, didn't mean to "accuse" you of committing any NCAA violations. If the NCAA were to catch wind, I'm sure they'd be a lot harder on us than they were on penn state.

Whoever had anthony davis likely wouldve won it all. He was the best college player since durant And melo. Guy protected the rim like none other.

Anthony Davis would have put quite a few teams over the t
Zagsblog says Mizzou working the hardest for Bryant.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/thomas-bryant-says-mizzou-working-hardest-plans-to-sign-late/

Sure seems like Bryant likes former Huntington coach Rob Fulford.

Can't help thinking that SU wouldn't have to work so hard, if they kept a spot open for him in the first place. Not sure who you don't offer, so you have that spot, but it sure seems like Bryant likes Mizzou, and his mother likes SU.

Likely wait until springtime to decide and announce!!!! That is great news for SU right there.

Good thing it was a Kentucky guy, I think there is a special rule that makes them exempt from secondary NCAA violations. Their fans' interactions with recruits are clearly always harmless and not intended to create an advantage.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/thomas-bryant-says-mizzou-working-hardest-plans-to-sign-late/

Can't help thinking that SU wouldn't have to work so hard, if they kept a spot open for him in the first place. Not sure who you don't offer, so you have that spot, but it sure seems like Bryant likes Mizzou, and his mother likes SU.
I literally read this as him saying he's going to Syracuse like 10 times. And his mom was emphatic, "well wait till spring cause that's when Syracuse will open up a scholarship cause that's where my kid is going."

Since Bryant is a 5 star and top 15 ranked recruit it's a little puzzling why one of the 4 open spots wasn't used for him and someone else (maybe Howard since he is the lowest rated) held for the spring opening. Maybe the staff knew that Bryant was going to wait until spring to commit regardless. Who knows? I'm sure there are lots of variables.

If he committed tomorrow, they would accept his commitment.

Yes but like Coleman he is playing out the recruitment. Anyone who is recruiting him hard (MU) or giving him late official visits (UK, KU, IU) has to know how likely it is that he goes to SU. I remember all the way back during his Sophmore season Rumors were out that he was going to Cuse for sure and he had to deny them although that doesn't make them untrue.

Yes but like Coleman he is playing out the recruitment. Anyone who is recruiting him hard (MU) or giving him late official visits (UK, KU, IU) has to know how likely it is that he goes to SU. I remember all the way back during his Sophmore season Rumors were out that he was going to Cuse for sure and he had to deny them although that doesn't make them untrue.
I agree with all of that. My post was because people seem to think that there has to be an "open" scholarship in order for him to make his commitment. But, this stuff always works out regardless if there is an available scholarship at this moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom