Class of 2020 - C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Quincy Ballard (NY) Transferring from FSU to Wichita St

Fantastic thread, all caught up.

Laughed to myself when I saw this kid listed in starting lineups for next year. That’s all time stuff.

Never underestimate the value of just having a big body to be in there eating up fouls. There’s a reason forth and mcneil worked out so well and it’s because they both were big and strong and didn’t need to really worry about fouls. Do your job on defense too. McNeil was the best center for a press we ever had, imo. We didn’t have that luxury this year because sidibe needed to be on the floor but he couldn’t be because he always fouled.
Why would you not start the hybrid of Sean Kemp and Joel Embiid?
I did post some exuberant hyperbole. I do believe Ballard could be special. But, i have no illusions that i'll happen quickly/immediately. I've seen some exciting stuff in the various clips and some that give pause. But i like that i don't see incompetence—just inexperience and a kid still growing into his body. But i like the 'character' aspect and hope he expects to come in, work, develop, and ascend with a realistic trajectory.

That's incorrect. Ballard announced Tuesday at noon that he was making his decision Saturday, according to the Cincinnati thread. Maybe he changed his mind since, but we weren't the first choice.
Thanks, sounds like he was set with FSU unless the hometown school came along.

My opinion, I think he strikes me as a hometown kid. Mom would love it and I'm betting the staff is selling him on the idea of being a absolute monster inside for us when we have arguably the BEST guard in the country coming in a few years and who knows who else Dior brings along with him to play. Setting up a team with championship Hope's! Sure he might need a few years but who knows what this kid can turn into in a few years. You cant teach having the size he has and he certainly looks like he can put more on. Everyone around Quincy mentions his great work ethic and desire to get better. Let's bring him in! Just gotta close on the sales pitch!

Pretty common bias to remember players from a title team as better than they were, just because they won a title in one season. Forth was a career 20 mpg, < 5 ppg, < 5 rpg, 60% FT. I don't think it's a "strange comparison" to say this would be a low bar to clear. Yes, I said BEST CASE, in case you can't read. We see players *like* Ballard come around, with only a few years of organized basketball, but extreme athleticism and coordination for a 7'0 frame and 7'6 wingspan, and *some* of them become stars. Since it seems you take everything to hyperbole, I don't think he'll become Patrick Ewing 2.0, just to clear that point for you. My point is, he looks, at age 18, physically years ahead of any center we've had since Rakeem.
Okay, I'll slow down for you, buddy. If you think Craig Forth is a worst case scenario, you're struggling in the IQ department. Worst case would be something like never seeing the court except during walk-on time at the end of games. I'll dumb it down some more for you... worst case might even be, he never plays a minute and eventually transfers. Okay, now we're going to shift gears - ready? Best case is the ceiling. Remember, the meaning of best is to the highest degree. That's why it might be something like Ewing and Coleman combined.

Yes, people need to get over the players transferring thing, this is the 2020's now, it's happening with all the top programs.

And yes there are similarities when the pg spot opened up, SU had 3 good, but young, players battling for it. After a winner was decided there was a good chance for fallout. But if SU had gone your route, they never would have taken JG3 because they already had 2.

I'm excited about the possibilities of adding QB because the odds of having a decent to good center position in 2 years just significantly increased. This guy has the size we've been lacking. But the downside to me is it does not seem like it will help this year, like Tape or Haarm would have.
Actually, I did not see JGIII initially as a point guard. Thought more of him being a small shooting guard that would have backed up Buddy. Am glad that he was able to handle the Point as capable as he did. Expected Goodine to be the real competition for Carey at point but due to events both of them faded away from the position.

i guess my issue at the C position is having two projects from the same year competing for the position and then we add another project. Quincy Ballard will be an addition when he comes aboard and it will be the coaching staff job to make the minutes work.

I believe that Ajak or Edwards (more likely) can get a little playing time at the 4 spot backing up QG and Marek. Both QG and Marek can get some time at the SF position if Griffin gets caught by the current transfer rules. I like where players can be effective at multiple positions the way Marek and Elijah did this year.

Okay, I'll slow down for you, buddy. If you think Craig Forth is a worst case scenario, you're struggling in the IQ department. Worst case would be something like never seeing the court except during walk-on time at the end of games. I'll dumb it down some more for you... worst case might even be, he never plays a minute and eventually transfers. Okay, now we're going to shift gears - ready? Best case is the ceiling. Remember, the meaning of best is to the highest degree. That's why it might be something like Ewing and Coleman combined.

Yes - worst case is - he never plays a minute, gets into some awful off-court scandal, and Cuse rep takes (another) hit.

But, given that he comes in as a sufficiently large, fairly athletic human with all his limbs and joints currently functioning...
he could - eventually - be a very nice piece for us, and the actually BIG Big we haven’t really had since Fab & Rak.
(or maybe DC2.0, when he was semi-healthy).

I think JB would love a rotation of two capable big guys, even if they bring slightly different skill sets - e.g. offense/defense - but both would have to rebound. That’s the prerequisite.

Yes - worst case is - he never plays a minute, gets into some awful off-court scandal, and Cuse rep takes (another) hit.

But, given that he comes in as a sufficiently large, fairly athletic human with all his limbs and joints currently functioning...
he could - eventually - be a very nice piece for us, and the actually BIG Big we haven’t really had since Fab & Rak.
(or maybe DC2.0, when he was semi-healthy).

Definitely agree with taking a shot on him. Could end up being an important piece some day.

Ok, cool. Hook 'em.

McNeil averaged 6 blocks per 40 in 02-03. Yeah he played only half of those minutes, if that, and was prone to fouls as well, but that’s elite shot blocking when he’s in there. I’ve been watching a bunch of old games from 02-04 and the guy had amazing timing. A true impact player who isn’t appreciated enough all time defensively imo. He also powered home his dunks (when given an opportunity to score, which was clearly only 2-4 times per game).

McNeil averaged 6 blocks per 40 in 02-03. Yeah he played only half of those minutes, if that, and was prone to fouls as well, but that’s elite shot blocking when he’s in there. I’ve been watching a bunch of old games from 02-04 and the guy had amazing timing. A true impact player who isn’t appreciated enough all time defensively imo. He also powered home his dunks (when given an opportunity to score, which was clearly only 2-4 times per game).
I have never seen anyone block more shots as the last line of defense on the press. Like you said, his timing was incredible.

I went back and watched some of those games as well. I was only 11 at the time and the championship year was the first year I ever went to a game so I remember it but not really from an informed observer's perspective.

Man that team was so damn good. Some of these teams from the early 2000s up to the MCW Final Four run were just so much more athletic and intense than we are today. It looked like absolute hell trying to score on those two teams in particular, and while I haven't gone back to watch yet, I vividly remember how much joy I got out of watching Fab Melo in the middle of our defense in his breakout year too. Between his shot blocking and charge-drawing abilities, he was one of the best defensive players I've personally seen in college.

Edit: This is me mentioning Quincy Ballard in my post.

Last edited:
I went back and watched some of those games as well. I was only 11 at the time and the championship year was the first year I ever went to a game so I remember it but not really from an informed observer's perspective.

Man that team was so damn good. Some of these teams from the early 2000s up to the MCW Final Four run were just so much more athletic and intense than we are today. It looked like absolute hell trying to score on those two teams in particular, and while I haven't gone back to watch yet, I vividly remember how much joy I got out of watching Fab Melo in the middle of our defense in his breakout year too. Between his shot blocking and charge-drawing abilities, he was one of the best defensive players I've personally seen in college.

Edit: This is me mentioning Quincy Ballard in my post.
I loved Fab Melo's presence. Big, immovable guy. Taking charges, flying around on alley oops. He played the way i like to see a center play.

Gunna be cuse/fsu/maryland top 3. Cincy next one not getting a rose.

Then cuse/fsu make it to the final rose ceremony after maryland gets cut because the at home visit didnt go well with the parents...then it will end with a orange diamond proposal at the end where we accept his proposal.

kinda Suprised NC state was first cut considering hes been in NC the past 2 years. I was thinking maybe his coaches would try and steer him that way. I like our chances here but FSU is definitely the one to worry about considering Hamilton came to see him and was impressed right away. Hope the home factor pulls through here. If not then gosh darn it call up Brandon Huffman from UNC right away!!!

Just playing devil’s advocate here: Maybe playing close to home isn’t a big deal for mom considering he’s been in NC the last two years?
U could be right...FSU is probably the favorite anyways. I definitely think we are in it with them just gunna depend on what the kid wants. Hamilton is no slouch and FSU has been impressive lately especially with bigs like Quincy.