Class of 2023 - C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23) | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 C William Patterson (NY) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/20/23)

Yes! Excited to get a recruit for '23. Especially one as tall and athletic as Patterson. A shot blocking big man is essential for the defense we play.

We have had situations in recent years where we have only had 7 scholarship players available for practice and games.

That is not acceptable. You need to fill out your roster with 13 scholarship players to account for injuries, drop outs, opt outs, burn outs and everything else.

Everyone on the roster doesn't have to be a highly recruit player who has aspirations of playing in the NBA. In the portal era, all that does is assure you will have massive churn from year to year, and greatly increases the chances of having a roster with 7 players on scholarship in a given year.

Having a player or two on the roster who is a development player, and knows he is a development player and is okay being a development player is good roster management.

Now if we end up with 3 or 4 of these types on the roster, there is a major problem.

I see William as a replacement for JBA. Let's see what happens from this point forward.

Welcome to Syracuse William. I can't remember the last time we took 2 players in a row from NYC. It has been a while.

Not an impact player and certainly is a kid you take if you’re playing zone…just sayin.

Part of my major concern is this line right here. He is a project which means a couple of years away and he is best suited to be a middle of the zone rim runner. That means we are planning to continue to play zone which will probably mean an assistant will be taking over. Which IMO isn't a great move.

I'm seeing he chose us over TCU and Okie State.

I'm seeing nothing from Okie State fans about this recruit. At all.

I questioned whether their offers still stood. They both offered in the fall of 2020.

I'm seeing nothing from Okie State fans about this recruit. At all.
Probably just an offer from Boynton because NYC. He probably offered a RS slot and Boeheim offered starts (I kid, I kid).

We have had situations in recent years where we have only had 7 scholarship players available for practice and games.

That is not acceptable. You need to fill out your roster with 13 scholarship players to account for injuries, drop outs, opt outs, burn outs and everything else.

Everyone on the roster doesn't have to be a highly recruit player who has aspirations of playing in the NBA. In the portal era, all that does is assure you will have massive churn from year to year, and greatly increases the chances of having a roster with 7 players on scholarship in a given year.

Having a player or two on the roster who is a development player, and knows he is a development player and is okay being a development player is good roster management.

Now if we end up with 3 or 4 of these types on the roster, there is a major problem.

I see William as a replacement for JBA. Let's see what happens from this point forward.

Welcome to Syracuse William. I can't remember the last time we took 2 players in a row from NYC. It has been a while.
I agree. The key paragraph is if the players understand they’re a developmental player and accept the fact. I‘ll believe that when I see it.

Roster
PG- Mintz, Torrence, Copeland
SG- Transfer, Taylor, Copeland
SF- Adams or Transfer, Bell, Copeland
PF- Brown or Transfer, Carey, JBA
C- Edwards or Transfer, Hima, Williams (redshirt)

We need a 2G who can shoot, drive and is bigger up top. Taylor is going to be very good but would bring in a stud to pair with Judah next year who Taylor can spell. If Edwards moves on we will need a transfer. Just throwing it out for disucsison

Very raw. Hard to get excited on the limited video available here.

Not an impact player and certainly is a kid you take if you’re playing zone…just sayin.

He doesn't seem like a string bean, at least. Very big kid.

Roster

We need a 2G who can shoot, drive and is bigger up top. Taylor is going to be very good but would bring in a stud to pair with Judah next year who Taylor can spell. If Edwards moves on we will need a transfer. Just throwing it out for disucsison

This has to mean Edwards is gone.

Nice to get a commitment but I have mixed feelings.

He's a reserve on his High School team that has a losing record, which is quite concerning. He barely has a profile on 247 where they haven't really even scouted him.
Reminds me of JBA no longer starting at Westtown and his HS ranking dropping like a stone.

However, he does have requisite size and scholarship offers from TCU, Rutgers, Ok St. And I respect Dixon, Pikel, and Boynton. I might include all 3 of them in the top 12 of the next coach list but as Bees said, were those offers from 2020 still legit and on the table for him?

My opinion, is just like last year this program needs an immediate upgrade in talent. And its hard for me to justify using a scholarship on a project. Last year they had a 6:1 ratio between HS players and the portal. It probably should have been about a 1:1 ratio.
If you cant get Top 100 HS players your better off taking productive college players. Next year could be scary if things don't break right and JB doesn't go all out in the portal.

Hope Patterson proves me wrong.

Fab did not start year one and Rony was off and on. Rony was a huge project.

Fab started EVERY game his freshman year.
Of course, he was often pulled after just a minute or two. But he DID start.

Roster

It's waaaaay too early to pencil anything in besides questions marks.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom