Call me a Jerk | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Call me a Jerk

I just realized that we're talking about different Cohens.

I was referring to Dave Cohen, the former SU play-by-play announcer. You were likely referring to the Cohen who is a Yukon homer and used to spew his nonsense via syracuse.com.

My bad. So many Cohens...

ZACKLY!

We may be overlooking a much more basic reason why he left Boise State. He replaced Gene Bleymaier who had been AD for 29 years and installed the smurf turf. The damn athletic center is named after him. Bleymaier was fired after an academic scandal there and Coyle was brought in to straighten out the mess.

The new Boise State AD is Curt Apsey, who is Bleymaier's friend and assistant for 13 years. I don't believe the Coyle was ever truly accepted at Boise State and knew he had to get out of there. It's tough to follow a legend. Frank Maloney had to follow Ol' Ben. He could have lost only 1-2 games a year and would never have been accepted here. When Jim Boeheim retires, good luck to his replacement if it's anyone else than Mike Hopkins!

In an ironic postscript, Bleymaier is now the AD at San Jose State where the Defensive Coordinator is.... (wait for it).... Greg Robinson. :rolling:
Finally some real info. Thank you.

Under normal circumstances you might expect Coyle to stay long enough to get Boise into the Big 12 when they inevitably expand from 10 to 12 or 14. Of all the possible candidates, Boise has the best football program and football rules. The leading contenders would be: Boise, UCon, Cincy, S. FL, C. Fl and Memphis.

Any one responsible for hiring would ask the question I asked. It's called due diligence.

Last edited:
Summary:
1) Syracuse has a better chance of winning a football NC.
2) $
3)Syracuse is more prestigious
4)Syracuse has more potential

#1 is crazy talk.
#2 simply means that he is gone at the drop of a buck. We are not a high payer.
#3 we have a richer history. The Boise football program is light years ahead of us and their BBall team, if I'm not mistaken, made the ncaa's last year, while we would have been in the NIT. History, not likely the reason for his move.
#4 Not at all clear cut. True, we are in a P-5 conf, but our football isn't about to play for a NC, and basketball is under a cloud.

My due diligence would have been to dig deeper. I'm not saying that there are any skeletons, but it would be naïve to not ask questions. Boise is not chopped liver. Their basketball has just become competitive but football rules in the west and Idaho has a nice lifestyle and Boise is not a bad place to be. Three years is not very long. Just saying...

Do not underestimate the value of consistency, especially when we do not have deep pockets compared to our competitors. We will not be getting consistency with Coyle. He is a short timer.

Perhaps my question is just jerkiness. On the other hand, I'm surprised that no one has expressed the least bit of concern about his short tenure at Boise. Time will tell.

and... how is your "like/post ratio" significantly better than mine? Did you turn your points in for the $5 off koozie gift certificate and now you don't have to worry about an admin taking your points away?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom