Can the Post Standard stop with the BS? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can the Post Standard stop with the BS?

I'm going to take this conversation in a slightly different direction based on the article. If we all like Dino and think he's taking this program in the right direction (which I do), then we better support him and the program by showing up or he will be out the door sooner than later. SU does such a great job of promoting big events for basketball, like breaking attendance records, why can't we try and promote the next home football game in a similar fashion to show him what's possible? Let's promote selling out the dome for the first time in xx years against NC State. In order to do that, we need to win this weekend or else it'll be a futile attempt. But we will have a lot of momentum if we do win at BC.

Maybe so, but as our media has moved to a "page click" model, overall media coverage has gone in the toilet.

Agreed. Bailey is at his best when he's going for the "good story, told well" will generate clicks.

And to be fair - these guys don't write their own headlines most of the time. And that's where it's the worst.

I'm going to take this conversation in a slightly different direction based on the article. If we all like Dino and think he's taking this program in the right direction (which I do), then we better support him and the program by showing up or he will be out the door sooner than later. SU does such a great job of promoting big events for basketball, like breaking attendance records, why can't we try and promote the next home football game in a similar fashion to show him what's possible? Let's promote selling out the dome for the first time in xx years against NC State. In order to do that, we need to win this weekend or else it'll be a futile attempt. But we will have a lot of momentum if we do win at BC.
This sounds great, but we will never sell out against NC State in football (and I don't like to use "never") unless SU moves to North Carolina.

Oh, I'm not defending Bud at all. He's horrid. I was talking about Bailey.

Ah. My opinion only, but I think that both Carlson / Bailey do a fine job. They haven't always had the best level of access, but the coverage has increased by about 300% in terms of volume of articles, which I appreciate.

I do think that Bailey has a more pointed tone to his articles [compared to Carlson], but I view that as stylistic nuance more than negativity.

Bud actually has written at least 4-5 positive articles this season regarding the team. Generally he sucks but 90% of his articles are not negative. He's actually probably a net positive since this new staff took over.

As much as I dislike Bud, he has been calling for this type of offense for many years. I remember back when Boise St first came on to the scene and was playing fast and scoring a ton of points, he said we need to do that here. Take advantage of the dome and the turf and just play a fast paced high flying offense.

I think we'll have a better shot at doing that against Florida St...especially if we have a bowl bid on the line.

First of all, that's 100% false. They don't go out of their way to be negative. Bud's a columnist, not a reporter. He gives opinions, not facts. That's his job, and every paper in the country has columnists. Also, he's terrible. But Bailey's articles yesterday were just straight info - Dunk to transfer, injury report.

Second, it's not their job to promote the program. They're the most accessible and visible news source and by far the best. Their job is to ask and answer questions, get a feel for what's going on, have a finger on the pulse. They're not supposed to report how wonderful everything is, even if that's what people want to hear.

It may not be their job to promote the program, but if they want more readers it's in their interest to do so.

It may not be their job to promote the program, but if they want more readers it's in their interest to do so.

I think what they are lacking is an empathy for the reader/fan. You can say hard things in a way that fans appreciate.

I think what they are lacking is an empathy for the reader/fan. You can say hard things in a way that fans appreciate.
I agree but for the most part, my distaste is directed at Bud. Most others are fine IMO.

Last edited:
I could care less about what Bud writes, its not his job to support the program. I don't read his articles because his writing style is like finger nails across a chalkboard to me. He is trying waaaay to hard to be clever.

Selling papers and "Page Clicks" are the same model. It is a business, after all.

There's a big difference. You need to promote said article so you go for biggest shock value. When you need to just promote a "paper" or overall news, you don't need shock value in all your articles.

There's a big difference. You need to promote said article so you go for biggest shock value. When you need to just promote a "paper" or overall news, you don't need shock value in all your articles.
Ever heard of Yellow Journalism? Papers 100 years ago were putting out crap that puts to shame any click bait you see now. It's nothing new.

Ever heard of Yellow Journalism? Papers 100 years ago were putting out crap that puts to shame any click bait you see now. It's nothing new.

Totally different. 15 years ago if I got a paper the main section usually had to do with something regarding Local news, foreign policy, or domestic policy.

Today I open Syracuse.com and I see something about the house of the week, marriage proposals and a car driving into a pond.

Then we wonder why society is stupid.

Totally different. 15 years ago if I got a paper the main section usually had to do with something regarding Local news, foreign policy, or domestic policy.

Today I open Syracuse.com and I see something about the house of the week, marriage proposals and a car driving into a pond.

Syracuse.com writers get paid by the number of clicks they generate. I don't go to Syracuse.com for anything unless people on this forum recommend it. Makes my life easier...

1970 to about 2000 was the Golden Age for newspapers. They were funded, respected, made money, etc.

Websites are much more like newspapers of 100 years ago - newer, operators are still trying to figure out their potential and how to make money. That means less hard news, like old newspapers.