Can we recruit a true #1 WR | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we recruit a true #1 WR

qdawgg said:
I'm not sure if it's completely accurate to say Baylor has 3 - 4 #1 type WR's. I think they have very good WR's, good coaching, and an amazing system that makes their WR's and offensive players in general look significantly better than they would in a different system. Since 2006 Baylor has only had 4 WR's taken in the NFL draft. Round 7, 6, 3, and 1
think there was also a second rounder in Josh Gordon who ended up ruining his career smoking weed. That said, I don't think you have to be drafted by the NFL to be considered a #1 WR. Baylor is stacked at WR and their upcoming WR recruits are ridiculous. They actually turned down Tyrie Cleveland because there isn't more room at the inn!

No, we dont need an nfl qb, we need a system and very good and intelligent athletes.

i wish we had the true FR from Ala but not sure we ever get that kind of kid.. or the true Fr who played for Ole Miss last year. Maybe he develops into a better WR but i dont think he ever gets faster or quicker, hopefully stronger and runs better routes.

most of our WR need to run better routes for that matter. maybe this system just makes them better and we will be fine.
I think Ish might break our all time receptions record from his junior and senior season stats alone under this offense.

think there was also a second rounder in Josh Gordon who ended up ruining his career smoking weed. That said, I don't think you have to be drafted by the NFL to be considered a #1 WR. Baylor is stacked at WR and their upcoming WR recruits are ridiculous. They actually turned down Tyrie Cleveland because there isn't more room at the inn!
Gordon was a supplemental draft selection actually.

I think we have a good #2 and a bunch of #3's. Can Babers find a way to get a real #1 threat and move all the rest down a level ? Some of these teams like Baylor have 3-4 #1 type WRs with speed and size. Would it be too much for us to get one ? if not that then at least someone like say a Maurice Jackson type who could stretch the D once in a while? Isnt it time for a Kevin Johnson type to come back to the Dome with this offense?

He's class of '18, so it'll be a couple of years until he arrives on the hill. Oh wait, you're talking about his dad, SU's former QB recruit! My bad :rolleyes:

I just want guys that can catch the ball, have good speed and when they have space take for 6 and can't be caught from behind. The more the better.

He's also entering his true Junior year. How soon do you expect people to be a #1?

Sorry, otto this was in response to upperdecker.

Always with the press coverage... Do you think Sales and Lemon were more athletic and better off beating press coverage. Ish is more than capable of being the most productive receiver in this system which will be huge. Press coverage, press coverage!!!

Does he have blazing speed? No nor did Mike Williams. Steve is a wide receiver that can be really productive in this system and IMO the #1 WR, whatever that means anymore

The strength is in the system, you need smart, good receivers that understand their role and routes, how to get open. As I always say, Syracuse fans who are waiting for a bunch of elite athleticism and top 25 recruiting classes to show up will always be disappointed. SYSTEM, SYSTEM, DEVELOP, DEVELOP.

Last edited:
when the offense becomes amazing and the roster partially turns over, it's not hard to predict people crediting the #1 wr who just happened to show up right when we started using a better scheme.

upperdecker has been dismissing baylor's offense as a bunch of track guys for years. then bowling green is all about lewis being fast (or whatever his name is). it'll happen here and that's fine.

Heck, if you have a guy or even better multiple guys open and the QB gets them the ball let's lace em up now and get this thing started.

when the offense becomes amazing and the roster partially turns over, it's not hard to predict people crediting the #1 wr who just happened to show up right when we started using a better scheme.

upperdecker has been dismissing baylor's offense as a bunch of track guys for years. then bowling green is all about lewis being fast (or whatever his name is). it'll happen here and that's fine.

Is there a stat that has WR's and their efficiency or effectiveness on how many times a qb throws to them and they catch the ball? I was just thinking if one wr gets thrown to 100 times and pulls down 70 while another 50 times but grabs 40 how much better is the first over the second?

Last edited:

you do realize that the baylor guys are all track guys. when you have the state champ in texas, i think speed might be required.

i dont dismiss the the offense but when you watched the routes and many of them are speed routes that seems to imply that speed helps. i am sure that the system has some complex things that screw with the D, same as SU did last year and it worked many times to get us open . but most of the time 1-2 players just run streaks and you throw to the WR that the safety does not cover.

Mike Williams is faster than everyone outside of mabye Estime on this team,

you do realize that the baylor guys are all track guys. when you have the state champ in texas, i think speed might be required.

Does Bowling Green have the state champ in Texas?

i agree that baylor has fast guys. i think there is much more to their offense than that.

IthacaBarrel said:
Sorry, otto this was in response to upperdecker. Always with the press coverage... Do you think Sales and Lemon were more athletic and better off beating press coverage. Ish is more than capable of being the most productive receiver in this system which will be huge. Press coverage, press coverage!!! Does he have blazing speed? No nor did Mike Williams. Steve is a wide receiver that can be really productive in this system and IMO the #1 WR, whatever that means anymore The strength is in the system, you need smart, good receivers that understand their role and routes, how to get open. As I always say, Syracuse fans who are waiting for a bunch of elite athleticism and top 25 recruiting classes to show up will always be disappointed. SYSTEM, SYSTEM, DEVELOP, DEVELOP.

Thought about creating another profile so I could like it again.

upperdeck said:

You need to watch Bowling Green vs Tennessee from this year. They lost and didn't cut through them like their MAC brethren - but all of their guys got open just fine vs superior and faster SEC talent.

That's what I expect.

You need to watch Bowling Green vs Tennessee from this year. They lost and didn't cut through them like their MAC brethren - but all of their guys got open just fine vs superior and faster SEC talent.

That's what I expect.
ISH would not be the #1 or #2 on BG

That's what I expect.
dieter is pretty good, he ended up at SMU because he wants to catch a million passes. roger lewis will probably be a good nfl player.

there will be lots of guys like dieter who come here now.

no need for chicken and egg stuff. the offense will make our WR better instantly and then better WR will follow

dieter is pretty good, he ended up at SMU because he wants to catch a million passes. roger lewis will probably be a good nfl player.

no need for chicken and egg stuff. the offense will make our WR better instantly and then better WR will follow

For sure. I think there are two assumptions that will be eradicated pretty quickly in the first year:

1. That they guys we have now aren't good enough.
2. That we will keep recruiting this level of offensive skill positions.

this i agree with.

Any former Football Players on the SU Track team ?Otherwise: Dear Mr Art Monk could you help recruit a wide receiver for Coach Babers New Squad thank you, The Board :eek:

Every WR being recruited can come in this year and start and/or become a top 3 WR by the end of the year.

WR is the most attractive position for any recruit on the team - little talent + pass friendly system = come here.

i dont dismiss the the offense but when you watched the routes and many of them are speed routes that seems to imply that speed helps. i am sure that the system has some complex things that screw with the D, same as SU did last year and it worked many times to get us open . but most of the time 1-2 players just run streaks and you throw to the WR that the safety does not cover.

Mike Williams is faster than everyone outside of mabye Estime on this team,

No he wasn't. Just not true

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom