Can we stop the Parker/'Melo comparisons now, media? | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop the Parker/'Melo comparisons now, media?

DeGrozz

All American
The only comparison I want to hear between Parker and Melo now is that "Parker is a lot like Carmelo Anthony... just without the killer instinct."

Edit to add: I'm not trying to take anything away from Parker, the guy is a stud. I just get tired that every one-and-done top draft pick is anointed the next Melo by the media in mid-January. Melo is a once in a decade type college player, but we hear the same story every year.

Last edited:
Guess I should have looked down before I posted my own thread...

VT hangs head in shame (while still grinning ear to ear about the Duke loss).

Melo was very lucky to be cutting nets down and should thank Josh Pace for the escape from round 2 against Okie St. I think Carmelo > Parker but let's be real. WE were on the ropes. It can happen. Parker will be a great pro.

Melo doesn't get a title without Pace, Edelin and McNeil stepping up big-time against Oklahoma State - he couldn't make anything. And that's not a knock on Melo, but an argument about how it takes an entire team to win 6 games in the NCAA Tournament.

Melo was very lucky to be cutting nets down and should thank Josh Pace for the escape from round 2 against Okie St. I think Carmelo > Parker but let's be real. WE were on the ropes. It can happen. Parker will be a great pro.

Is this a joke?

I think McNeil was more important in the comeback vs Oklahoma State... He blocked shots on four or five possessions when we put on the press. That stopped the momentum and got us going.

Is this a joke?

not at all. Just saying it can happen to anyone. it takes a village to win the tourney. I'm taking ZILCH away from Melo but i'm not burying Parker for losing today. Did anyone bury Billy Owens post Richmond?

Yeah, so and so did this and that to help us win. Name a team that didn't and won it all? C'mon, that has 0 to do with the comparisons of only Melo and Parker head to head. Yes, it can stop now. One was bounced in the 1st round and the other won a national championship.

not at all. Just saying it can happen to anyone. it takes a village to win the tourney. I'm taking ZILCH away from Melo but i'm not burying Parker for losing today. Did anyone bury Billy Owens post Richmond?
Lucky for him the internet was in it's infancy.

You're not burying a player by saying he's not as good as Melo, that's a pretty high standard.

I still think Parker is going to be a very comparable pro to Melo.

...it takes a village to win the tourney...
14803680_village_pe_347138b.jpg

The main ones I hear now are all about Parker never playing defense, so I guess he better be prepared to get skewered by Cowherd at least twice a week.

The main ones I hear now are all about Parker never playing defense, so I guess he better be prepared to get skewered by Cowherd at least twice a week.

Yeah I don't think he's gonna be a a great defender. He may not be as good as Melo, but I think he's gonna be the same type of player.

Parker wasn't as good as Melo before this game. Sure as hell isn't now.

Melo was a better scorer, rebounder, and was a load on the block. Parker will be a good NBA player - maybe even better than Melo... But the college comparisons need to stop.

Aside: it doesn't matter at all that Melo needed his teammates in a game to advance. Every great player does. That's why it's a team game.

Agreed - Parker is going to be a superstar in the NBA regardless of today's outcome.

It is almost as if people on this board do not understand variance.

It's kinda funny that 1) The US Navy used them as a recruiting tool before realizing they were gay and
2) The dude that appears to be the gayest of them all was actually straight.

The only comparison I want to hear between Parker and Melo now is that "Parker is a lot like Carmelo Anthony... just without the killer instinct."
Anticipating here, but. .

I think we're going to be hearing excuses about the youth and inexperience of Parker's supporting cast. Because they won't do a bit of research and find SU '03 had 1 Sr., 1 Jr., 3 So., 3 Fr.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom