Can we stop the Parker/'Melo comparisons now, media? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop the Parker/'Melo comparisons now, media?

And the ability to play the extra minutes isn't a plus?

I think that's more related to how Boeheim and Coach K use their benches.

I'm not a big fan of harping on statistics in comparisons like this though...different eras, different leagues, different opponents.

Mark Macon probably had better freshman offensive stats than Melo, but we all know that's a "so what" situation. So is Jabari's rebounding rate being slightly better.

The Auburn game got a little too close for comfort at the end, especially on the stage for buzzer-beaters.
That was the MO of that team, up 17, it'll be close at the end. Down 17, no problem!
Auburn had a legit NBA pro in Marquis Daniels; they were a good team that year

It is, but I wouldn't say it made Melo a better rebounder as a freshmen.
My point is--if Parker plays the extra minutes, maybe his rebounding % goes down. No way to know.

If Parker comes back, as an NBA scout/GM, that would negatively affect my opinion of him.

You're considered arguably the top prospect in the Draft and you might go back to college? You have nothing left to work on, you are ready for the NBA. Okkkkk, were just going to look at some other guys who aren't scared to make the jump.

If Parker comes back, as an NBA scout/GM, that would negatively affect my opinion of him.

You're considered arguably the top prospect in the Draft and you might go back to college? You have nothing left to work on, you are ready for the NBA. Okkkkk, were just going to look at some other guys who aren't scared to make the jump.
What?

The more you think about it the more it is truly amazing what Melo did here He succeeded where Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, Michael Beaseley, Kyrie Irving, Greg Oden, etc all failed. Yeah Anthony Davis did it but he also had six first round picks. Melo had only one other NBA player and a good college guard in Mcnamara. Truly amazing.

Parker is still my #3 or #4 prospect as long as Embiid's back checks out. I think he'll be the David Lee of SFs at the next level. He'll score around 20 a game and look like a beast statistically, but he'll allow his man to score as many points as he does, so his actual impact on winning won't be that great.

Orangeminutest: 998380 said:
I think that's more related to how Boeheim and Coach K use their benches.

I'm not a big fan of harping on statistics in comparisons like this though...different eras, different leagues, different opponents.

Mark Macon probably had better freshman offensive stats than Melo, but we all know that's a "so what" situation. So is Jabari's rebounding rate being slightly better.
Some of those minutes Parker was benched, not resting.

This comparison has bother me since the first time I heard it. People have short memories. Melo dominated cbb from game 1. He didn't have any prolonged slumps like Parker, and he didn't have someone like Rodney Hood who could single handily bail them out if he was having a bad game. People also forget just how good of a rebounder Melo was in college. On offense he could post you up, take you off the dribble, or just stick a 3 in your face. He was basically unguardable. Melo will continue to get mentioned each year for how he carried to Syracuse to a National Championship. In 10 years the only thing we will hear about Parker's college career is how he took the term 1 and done to a whole new level.

Some of those minutes Parker was benched, not resting.

That still relates to coaching styles...Boeheim doesn't bench his best player.

And I'm not knocking that either. Just a situation where some coaches differ in their approaches.

This comparison has bother me since the first time I heard it. People have short memories. Melo dominated cbb from game 1. He didn't have any prolonged slumps like Parker, and he didn't have someone like Rodney Hood who could single handily bail them out if he was having a bad game. People also forget just how good of a rebounder Melo was in college. On offense he could post you up, take you off the dribble, or just stick a 3 in your face. He was basically unguardable. Melo will continue to get mentioned each year for how he carried to Syracuse to a National Championship. In 10 years the only thing we will hear about Parker's college career is how he took the term 1 and done to a whole new level.

Not sure I'd call it a prolonged slump, but Melo did have a stretch of 6 straight games where he scored less than 20, in January.

That was a "slump" for him, because he started out scoring 20+ in 10 of the first 11 games, and later finished the regular season/BET with 12 straight games over 20 points after that.

He definitely had a big of an adjustment early in the Big East season.

Not sure I'd call it a prolonged slump, but Melo did have a stretch of 6 straight games where he scored less than 20, in January.

That was a "slump" for him, because he started out scoring 20+ in 10 of the first 11 games, and later finished the regular season/BET with 12 straight games over 20 points after that.

He definitely had a big of an adjustment early in the Big East season.

Regarding Melo's "slump" in which he scored <20 in 6 straight games in January, Parker's season average was 19.1 PPG.

Regarding Melo's "slump" in which he scored <20 in 6 straight games in January, Parker's season average was 19.1 PPG.

Right. Melo was absolutely the better player.

It was a "slump" for Melo though, considering how he played the rest of the season.

Parker had a slump around the same time Melo did: January, early in conference play. Parker's was worse though, as he didn't even score 10 a couple of times.

My point is--if Parker plays the extra minutes, maybe his rebounding % goes down. No way to know.

We're really stretching this one here. Parker would probably have to grab basically no rebounds in the extra 5 minutes per game to make the math work out.

We're really stretching this one here. Parker would probably have to grab basically no rebounds in the extra 5 minutes per game to make the math work out.
I think it's entirely possible to go 5 minutes without a rebound--especially when tired at the end of a game.

But all of this is a bit silly. Melo made a mark as a freshman that Parker didn't match.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom