Can we stop the Parker/'Melo comparisons now, media? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we stop the Parker/'Melo comparisons now, media?

The down side of this is the chances Parker comes back next year just went up 50%. Parker and the kid they are bringing next year would be awesome together.

Agreed - Parker is going to be a superstar in the NBA regardless of today's outcome.

He needs to get in shape and sculpt that soft looking body. He was put to shame when standing next to the Mercer big white guy today.

You're awesome. I'm always amazed that you have a link for everything.
Thanks.

I would have loved to hear K's take on how he compared Jabari to Melo at the same stage (end of freshman season) in their development.

not at all. Just saying it can happen to anyone. it takes a village to win the tourney. I'm taking ZILCH away from Melo but i'm not burying Parker for losing today. Did anyone bury Billy Owens post Richmond?
Im pretty sure people blast Billy Owens about this game on a regular basis

You're awesome. I'm always amazed that you have a link for everything.
Don't let anyone tell you otherwise OE owns the internet, how else would you explain the plethora of articles every day.

Thanks.

I would have loved to hear K's take on how he compared Jabari to Melo at the same stage of their development.

Interesting tid bit in that article farther done from the Mercer players. Almost prescient.

Definitely not - do you remember that game? Melo didn't get his first field goal until relatively late in the 2nd half.

I remember the game quite well. The issue I have is to say Melo was "lucky" to win a title. He was the best player in college basketball that year (don't care that TJ Ford won a bs player of the year trophy). Did his teammates step up in the Oklahoma State game? Absolutely. But show me a championship team where that doesn't happen.

"Parker to return for 2014/2015 season"

I think he'll be very very good, I see All Star, don't see Melo level.

Entirely possible, the last couple of years Melo has taken his game to another level and is probably a legit top 4 or 5 player in the league. Parker may not get there.

But Parker is a really good scorer. If you look at their college numbers, they had comparable scoring numbers on similarly high workloads. Parker had slightly better rebounding %'s. Neither guy was a great passer, but Melo had better assist and turnover rates.

Entirely possible, the last couple of years Melo has taken his game to another level and is probably a legit top 4 or 5 player in the league. Parker may not get there.

But Parker is a really good scorer. If you look at their college numbers, they had comparable scoring numbers on similarly high workloads. Parker had slightly better rebounding %'s. Neither guy was a great passer, but Melo had better assist and turnover rates.
Melo has higher rebounding numbers. Just a shade under 10 rpg.

Melo has higher rebounding numbers. Just a shade under 10 rpg.

Parker had the edge in rebounding %'s.

8.9 vs 11.4 for offensive rebounding%, and 23.1 vs 18.2 for defensive boards, both edge to Parker.

Melo played an extra 5 or 6 minutes per game, which got him the extra board.

Melo was very lucky to be cutting nets down and should thank Josh Pace for the escape from round 2 against Okie St. I think Carmelo > Parker but let's be real. WE were on the ropes. It can happen. Parker will be a great pro.
The Auburn game got a little too close for comfort at the end, especially on the stage for buzzer-beaters.
That was the MO of that team, up 17, it'll be close at the end. Down 17, no problem!

8.9 vs 11.4 for offensive rebounding%, and 23.1 vs 18.2 for defensive boards, both edge to Parker.

Melo was a beast on the boards in college, and he had 2 7 footers on the back line with him to share rebounds with.

Melo was a beast on the boards in college, and he had 2 7 footers on the back line with him to share rebounds with.

Maybe, but Parker got a higher % of rebounds when on the court than Melo. And SU was a terrible defensive rebounding team in 2003, so I'm not sure I buy the argument that they had to share boards. We finished 278th in the country in defensive rebounding% with a beast plus the 2 7 footers. (I know Forth was, don't remember McNeil being much more than 6-8) Duke finished 166th in defensive rebounding this year

I still think Parker is going to be a very comparable pro to Melo.

Agreed. I don't understand the OP. It's a valid comparison obviously. Their games ARE similar.

not at all. Just saying it can happen to anyone. it takes a village to win the tourney. I'm taking ZILCH away from Melo but i'm not burying Parker for losing today. Did anyone bury Billy Owens post Richmond?
I am sure someone (besides me) buried James Harden on the basis of his flameout against us.

I am sure someone (besides me) buried James Harden on the basis of his flameout against us.
Harden wasn't himself against us. I remember reading pregame he was nursing a foot injury. As good as he is in the NBA I still think he gets away with an extra step.

Since we won it all in 2003 there have been endless high school, 4 & 5 star recruits compared to Melo

To date not one of them has measured up.

Malik Hairston said he was going to “Carmelo-ize” the Oregon Ducks, meaning he would take them to a title in one season like Melo did here.

Last I knew Oregon never contended and Malik is languishing somewhere on foreign shores.

And the ability to play the extra minutes isn't a plus?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom