Can we talk about the play calling? | Syracusefan.com

Can we talk about the play calling?

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
No surprises, no misdirection, the same old stuff against the No. 1 team in the country.

Plus, every single running play we have is straight up the middle.

How on earth do we expect to be successful when our play calling is this easily scouted, especially with the deficiencies we have on the offensive line.

We miss Sean Lewis. In a bad way.

No surprises, no misdirection, the same old stuff against the No. 1 team in the country.

Plus, every single running play we have is straight up the middle.

How on earth do we expect to be successful when our play calling is this easily scouted, especially with the deficiencies we have on the offensive line.

We miss Sean Lewis. In a bad way.

Yeah, this. If not this then our personnel has taken a serious step back. And I see where that is possible as well.

Think of the bright side. We won’t need to worry about Dino getting courted by USC anymore
Well he can always say he couldn’t recruit to Syracuse, he’s proven he can win with the right players. Although right now I think our offensive play calling staff are squarely in the spotlight

Where did the imaginative play calling go? What happened to the wr screens and the quick passes to hide a poor oline.
Yeah suddenly in garbage time we see a bunch of passes to the tight ends. Too many shots downfield covered completely and not enough screen passes even when Tommy is getting pressured on every last down.

Defenses really don't have anything to divert their attention from the QB, every team in football sends WR's in motion when the ball is snapped to keep the LB's eyes other places, SU doesn't do that. Either we run up the middle or throw in the pocket in the middle. Why wouldn't teams just send everyone, I don't know, up the middle?

The go empty every 3rd down and watch Clemson send a MLB without an adjustment was amazing.
The play calling today hurt the team.
The OL was struggling but let’s not adjust and keep them on islands and getting abused was amazing.
The offensive coaches were terrible.

Definitely disappointed in the lack of variety in the run game. I know Dino loves the power run game but I'm not sure it suits these RB/O-Line strengths

The offense can't be sexy when it's foundation (the offensive line) is as bad as it is. I'm a Devito critic as well and trust me, he deserves a ton of it, but you can't call anything for him that takes time because of how bad the protection is. I'm stunned how bad they are. If one player going down can cause this to happen, there are bigger issues at hand.

The go empty every 3rd down and watch Clemson send a MLB without an adjustment was amazing.
The play calling today hurt the team.
The OL was struggling but let’s not adjust and keep them on islands and getting abused was amazing.
The offensive coaches were terrible.

I was shocked that we didn't go less on receivers, add a TE or other heavy and try to protect TD. Over and over and over, Clemson killed those 5 wide sets.

It was kinda hard to watch. I really don't get what we're doing.

Last edited:
I was shocked that we didn't go less on receivers, add a TE or other heavy and try to protect TD. Over and over and over, Clemson killed those 5 wide sets.

It was kinda hard to watch. I really don't get what we're doing.
We routinely let a blitzer run free. When you’ve only got 5 for 6, you have to get it out quick. We did it a bit in the 3rd but for the most part did not.

That’s not poor OL play, that’s poor protection schematic. Unless you dump it, then you have the #’s on the other side.

Devito was a sitting duck. Have to move him around. Clemson knew where he would be every time.

I find myself wondering where our fast tempo went. I thought this was a core principle of Babers' offense.

You're going to tire out the defense running the tempo as fast as they want. With the issues offensively, it has come to a crashing halt.