Carmelo passed Larry Bird last night in points | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Carmelo passed Larry Bird last night in points

Your assertion is crazy. I don't care how many NBA games you have been to or what connections you have. You have no idea about the NBA, that is clear.

Expecting 25, 10 and 5? There are only 13 guys who have ever averaged 25ppg over the course of their careers, not taking into consideration the other two, somewhat arbitrary, stat thresholds chosen above in the thread.

Here are those 13 that have averaged 25ppg for a career. I have put an asterisk (*) next to those guys who also averaged 10 boards and 5 assists.

MJ
Wilt
Elgin Baylor
KD
Bron
West
AI
Pettit
Gervin
Oscar
Kobe
Melo
Karl Malone

NO ONE HAS EVER AVERAGED WHAT YOU SAY HE SHOULD HAVE AVERAGED for a career. Even in the past when there was barely any defense played and a ton of possessions, NO ONE has ever averaged what you say he should have averaged.

Forget career, how many guys have averaged 25-10-5 in a season? Ran a search on basketball reference; I've got 9 seasons in NBA history. Barkley did in 93, Bird did it in 85, and then some Kareem, Oscar, Elgin, and Wilt seasons in the 60's, 70's. I know KG came awfully close because it came up in another thread recently. But it's been done once in the last 30 years in a season, forget a career.

Frankly he's finally playing with good players who are not known knuckleheads

He was on some very good DEN teams but was in the West. They gave the LAL maybe their toughest series that year even though they lost 4-2 I believe.

Your assertion is crazy. I don't care how many NBA games you have been to or what connections you have. You have no idea about the NBA, that is clear.

Expecting 25, 10 and 5? There are only 13 guys who have ever averaged 25ppg over the course of their careers, not taking into consideration the other two, somewhat arbitrary, stat thresholds chosen above in the thread.

Here are those 13 that have averaged 25ppg for a career. I have put an asterisk (*) next to those guys who also averaged 10 boards and 5 assists.

MJ
Wilt
Elgin Baylor
KD
Bron
West
AI
Pettit
Gervin
Oscar
Kobe
Melo
Karl Malone

NO ONE HAS EVER AVERAGED WHAT YOU SAY HE SHOULD HAVE AVERAGED for a career. Even in the past when there was barely any defense played and a ton of possessions, NO ONE has ever averaged what you say he should have averaged.
To be fair to the misguided posters who believe Carmelo should be regularly racking up 25/10/5 seasons, on several occasions I have heard Walt Frazier state the same thing, and he obviously should know better. Perhaps that's driving some of this nonsense.

To be fair to the misguided posters who believe Carmelo should be regularly racking up 25/10/5 seasons, on several occasions I have heard Walt Frazier state the same thing, and he obviously should know better. Perhaps that's driving some of this nonsense.

Walt took it the next step, he wanted Melo and Amare to both be 20-10 guys. How many teams have 2 20-10 guys? In the last 5 years, there have been 13 20-10 seasons. (Using whatever the basketball reference minimum for minutes is) 13 20-10 seasons, done by only 7 people. Good trivia question, if anyone wants to try. 6 of them are relatively easy, the seventh may be tough

Melo coming has saved the Knicks from obscurity.

he brings relevence.

thank god he didnt listen to all the jokers whos said...go to chicago.

dumb, dumb, dumb.

Walt took it the next step, he wanted Melo and Amare to both be 20-10 guys. How many teams have 2 20-10 guys? In the last 5 years, there have been 13 20-10 seasons. (Using whatever the basketball reference minimum for minutes is) 13 20-10 seasons, done by only 7 people. Good trivia question, if anyone wants to try. 6 of them are relatively easy, the seventh may be tough

I would guess:

K Love
Dwight
Ant Davis
Boogie
Blake
Bosh?
B Lopez?

People have a hard time envisioning how hard certain numbers are to achieve. Out here in SLC everybody has dreams of Favors being a 20/10 guy and they have little concept of how rare that actually is for one, and two that you can fall short of that and still be a really, really good player.

Anyway, in the last 5 years here are my guesses without looking at any stats - Blake Griffin, Boogie Cousins, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard, Kevin Love, Pau Gasol. Those are my guesses.

You guys each got 5; Blake, Boogie, Davis, Dwight, Love.

People have a hard time envisioning how hard certain numbers are to achieve. Out here in SLC everybody has dreams of Favors being a 20/10 guy and they have little concept of how rare that actually is for one, and two that you can fall short of that and still be a really, really good player..

100%; I can't keep track of all the NBA threads, but in one I said I thought Melo would have a hard time averaging 60 games per year for the next 8 or so after this one. At his age, that's going to be super tough.

Duncan and KG have had their minutes held down, so they actually haven't made it in nearly 10 years. (More evidence of what I bolded)

The other two are Aldridge and...big Al Jefferson

You guys each got 5; Blake, Boogie, Davis, Dwight, Love.

100%; I can't keep track of all the NBA threads, but in one I said I thought Melo would have a hard time averaging 60 games per year for the next 8 or so after this one. At his age, that's going to be super tough.

Duncan and KG have had their minutes held down, so they actually haven't made it in nearly 10 years. (More evidence of what I bolded)

The other two are Aldridge and...big Al Jefferson

Oh man, Big Al. Should have known LMA.

Oh man, Big Al. Should have known LMA.

He was obviously the surprise, and he didn't really skate by either. Of the 13 seasons, he was 9th in rebounds per game and 10th in points.

He was obviously the surprise, and he didn't really skate by either. Of the 13 seasons, he was 9th in rebounds per game and 10th in points.
Easily forgotten because he's not a great defender and has played for small market teams.

Easily forgotten because he's not a great defender and has played for small market teams.

If he played 30 years ago or whatever when the game was more post oriented and we didn't have the advanced metrics and whatever, he would have made a bunch of all star teams

If he played 30 years ago or whatever when the game was more post oriented and we didn't have the advanced metrics and whatever, he would have made a bunch of all star teams
You're probably right.

SoBeCuse said:
He was on some very good DEN teams but was in the West. They gave the LAL maybe their toughest series that year even though they lost 4-2 I believe.
they were ok, but were filled with knucklehead players (AI, Kenyon, JR, birdman).

SoBeCuse said:
they were ok, but were filled with knucklehead players (AI, Kenyon, JR, birdman).

MJ
Wilt
Elgin Baylor
KD
Bron
West
AI
Pettit
Gervin
Oscar
Kobe
Melo
Karl Malone

Thank you

In the previous round Houston took the Lakers to game 7. From what I remember of that Denver series in two of the Lakers victories Denver had some bad turnovers on inbounds plays.

he brings relevence.

dumb, dumb, dumb.

If he went to Chicago he would've been blamed when they lost to Cleveland, while Rose and Noah being injured shells of their former selves was the real downfall, just like he was blamed while Amare falling apart(and punching fire extinguisher cases) and Chandler being made of glass and being a beat up shell of himself by the playoffs every year was their real downfall.

The Bulls are on the way down. Melo and Butler would be a nice tandem, but there's going to be too much money tied up in guys that aren't that good anymore for them to put together a roster that can get it done.

It's funny how people crushed Lebron for going to Miami, but then they crush Carmelo for staying with his team.

If he went to Chicago he would've been blamed when they lost to Cleveland, while Rose and Noah being injured shells of their former selves was the real downfall, just like he was blamed while Amare falling apart(and punching fire extinguisher cases) and Chandler being made of glass and being a beat up shell of himself by the playoffs every year was their real downfall.

The Bulls are on the way down. Melo and Butler would be a nice tandem, but there's going to be too much money tied up in guys that aren't that good anymore for them to put together a roster that can get it done.

It's funny how people crushed Lebron for going to Miami, but then they crush Carmelo for staying with his team.
The Bulls will have the money to pay people, because everyone will have cap room. Question is - will anybody want to join them?

Also, on the while Lue and Cavs thing - wouldn't they have been better off kicking the tires on Thibs or Van Gundy or somebody like that? Only a handful of coaches have actually won the NBA title. I look at Lue and think, nope, not that guy.

he brings relevence.

dumb, dumb, dumb.

haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom