CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 61 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
One has nothing to do with the other.
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

This is college football, not the pros.
We still like to think of the players as kids who grow and develop in our view.
There's a romance to it - though it's certainly being killed by NIL, the portal, conference vulturism, and Brian Kelly.

Not much of a difference anymore. The transfer portal has made college football into free agency, just like the pros. And whether we're talking about college transfer portal or pro free agency, choices have consequences. Sometimes they work out, and sometimes things go unfavorably as they have for Duce.

Besides, a lot of moving parts would have to align for him to come back. For example:
  • Dino would have to want him back
  • Sounds like Duce would need to graduate to be immediately eligible
  • There could be other transfer CBs the staff is targeting that would be immediately eligible
Like I said above, if it works out - great. But it seems far from a slam dunk, and the coaching staffs' hands might be tied anyway by NCAA bureaucracy with respect to transfer rules that limit what they can do.

Last edited:
Too bad. So sad. What about the kids who want to be here? The portal guys we got? Everyone was saying, no big deal…Duce wasn’t all that! And now you want him back? Laughable
Laughable to want extra depth and talent? Best players play, if you don’t like it then football isn’t for you. Any player scared of competition has no business in D1

One has nothing to do with the other. I'm reading the LSU boards and it seems that it's unanimous that he can't play at that level. From the other tea leaves, it looks like a suspension and in Duce's best case, his scholarship isn't renewed so that he can transfer immediately.
What do you mean by "not renewed"? Scholarships are guaranteed for 4 years now.

Realistically its a long shot for him to return. As just posted there are a ton of things that would have to be completed and go correctly in order for him to come back. His best move is to graduate and possibly pick a third school that he knows he can get pt at.
He might want to drop down a notch. Go to an Appalachian State type school and get on the field to prove serve and give himself a chance to be drafted. Whatever he decides his only goal at this point should be to graduate.

I hear he's been dropping some cryptic posts and tweets that would imply that he's looking elsewhere.
I'm not social media savvy, so I don't even begin to know how or where to see if it's true

in hindsight, pretty crazy to know that the punch was Dec 11 and we had this kind of intel on Dec 13.

Too bad. So sad. What about the kids who want to be here? The portal guys we got? Everyone was saying, no big deal…Duce wasn’t all that! And now you want him back? Laughable
Not everyone was saying that. I was skeptical all along that the guys we got to replace him were better. If everything lines up and the coaches think he makes us better, we should take him. If the coaches think we're better going in another direction, we should close that door. Whatever the coaches think leads to W's. I think the benefit of good will is overstated here. Future recruits won't remember or care if we took him back. What matters most is winning, NIL, and opportunity to play.

I take him back in a heartbeat. Not necessarily for what he might do on the field but for the message he can tell to the team about appreciating what you have here at Syracuse because it's not any better at the football factories no matter what the NIL money is. Not to mention the keeping that NJ pipeline open.

As long as there is no information Dino is privy to that the public isn't, you're darn right I take him back. This is the same program that annually has depth issues as the season goes along and there's even a doubt about taking Duce back? Now he's Appalachian State level?? Are you serious??

Last edited:
As long as there is no information Dino is privy to that the public isn't, you're darn right I take him back. This is the same program the annually has depth issues as the season goes along and there's even a doubt about taking Duce back? Now he's Appalachian State level?? Are you serious?????
He was overrated here but dropping levels ..... we should take him back, and if he is good enough he plays, if he isn't it's depth and specials.

Assuming the closet is skeleton free.

He was overrated here but dropping levels ... we should take him back, and if he is good enough he plays, if he isn't it's depth and specials.

Assuming the closet is skeleton free.
he may be hurt and HIPPA would prevent LSU from disclosing health issues. It may be a small disciplinary thing but it is the SEC so probably not. Class attendance issue, does anyone outside of Vandy in the SEC care? It my be that he really misses what he had and is a bit depressed, who knows. How could he not be a help if he wants to come back. If there were no big issues here I hope he wants to come back

Speculation on tigerdroppings is he skipped a road trip because he was mad about losing his spot on the depth chart. Then it's split, some say he's good but too small to play in the SEC and other say he is complete trash so it doesn't matter.

Keep in mind if he comes back, we likely lose at least one current db to the portal, if not two.

I appreciate the help he provides recruiting Jersey. Otherwise, I don’t think he’s an immediate guaranteed starter here right now.
Who?

I think we would take him back (if that's possible) to prove a bigger point. We have 85 guys, they'll figure the rest out.

Who?
I have no specific who’s but if a guy comes back expected to challenge for the start role, then more than likely someone else is going to leave. He’d be competing with Jerry, Greg, Quan, Perry, Bellamy, and maybe Martin.

People dont stay when they get portal’d over

Absolutely agree with this.

The big thing here is, for Duce to transfer anywhere, he is going to need to finish school at LSU….

And if he’s not on the football team, he probably won’t have a schollie and is going to to have to pay tuition out of his own pocket.

I wish the best for Duce, he certainly has got himself in a sticky situation

Why does he need to finish school at LSU to be able to transfer?

In order to be a grad transfer he needs to graduate with his undergrad

If he just transfers without graduating, he would have to sit out a year and that would expire his eligibility

He has put himself in a really tough situation. This potentially could be ending his football career

To transfer to any D1 school and be eligible next fall he has to have his degree. Technically I guess it doesn't have to be LSU but hard to see how that would work out realistically.

Status
Not open for further replies.