CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

CB Duce Chestnut transferring to LSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion its different, and a potential hit to your culture, if its a guy who chose to leave already. But who knows
It could be. I trust the coaches to have a good feel for that. Maybe coach "prime" is right too when he says culture is overrated (I don't think it is for most teams. Deion is probably an exception to most rules) and all that matters is acquiring the best talent anyway you can.

I mean he was Freshman all-american. He was great his freshman year when other teams went way staying away from Garrett. i thought there was some regression his sophomore year, but he can certainly play at this level assuming he has kept putting the work in. I wouldn’t mind having Jerry and Duce next year but i think he’s got himself in a big old mess and there isn’t going to be any NIL money at his next stop wherever it may be.

I hate that it had to be but this is good for Syracuse. If there wasn’t a poster boy for the cautionary tale of chasing a few thousand extra dollars than i’m not sure what is.

Maybe Jesse?

I mean he was Freshman all-american. He was great his freshman year when other teams went way staying away from Garrett. i thought there was some regression his sophomore year, but he can certainly play at this level assuming he has kept putting the work in. I wouldn’t mind having Jerry and Duce next year but i think he’s got himself in a big old mess and there isn’t going to be any NIL money at his next stop wherever it may be.

I hate that it had to be but this is good for Syracuse. If there wasn’t a poster boy for the cautionary tale of chasing a few thousand extra dollars than i’m not sure what is.
yeah I agree it’s a good cautionary tale that can be used. Neither of the two that left are playing. I’m sure they both got a nice chunk of $ but at what cost?

If he doesn't play after week 2 this should be his redshirt year? You get to play 4 games and keep the eligibility no injury required. Unless he plays again he won't have to sit next year.

If he wants to come back and we say no it would be for non football reasons.
Syracuse makes a lot of decisions based on that

So could Duce play this year out at LSU, redshirt next year at LSU (because im sure they'll recruit over him via portal/HS in the off season regardless) then transfer back here after he graduates? Wouldnt that solve the tight time frame issues he would have with getting everything completed? I would imagine it wouldn't bother to many current corners here because now we are an extra year out. I dont know how ideal it is for Duce because its a bit of a long road, but he probably would have fulfilled his NIL obligations so he keeps that money, comes back to where he wants to be, doesn't piss off to many of our current teammates, and still has a shot to show his skills and go pro.

If he doesn't play after week 2 this should be his redshirt year? You get to play 4 games and keep the eligibility no injury required. Unless he plays again he won't have to sit next year.

If he wants to come back and we say no it would be for non football reasons.
Seems like it, but the rules seems so arbitrary.

Neither, they want starting spots and to showcase themselves. Becomes a business decision.

And bringing back a kid who left, regardless of how well liked duce was, is going to rub some players competing for snaps the wrong way. Could be said for any team.
The second part of your post is most important.

Duce coming back now and all the hoops he’d have to jump through would put him on the field in 2025 at the earliest and he’d only be here for one year and he’d still have to compete like anyone else. I doubt that’s scaring anyone away.

Maybe Jesse?
Yea but Jesse was just a bad break with what happened to Huggins. It’s not going to effect his draft stock or his overseas earnings. Duce potentially made a life altering decision. No matter how he performed at LSU, he had enough good tape and accolades at SU, where it was almost a given he would declare, and most likely get drafted after this season (Assuming he matched Fr/So performance).
yeah I agree it’s a good cautionary tale that can be used. Neither of the two that left are playing. I’m sure they both got a nice chunk of $ but at what cost?
I would like to know how much he actually got. I just don’t see even places like LSU handing over 6 figures to a potential db starter. I’m just guessing, but i would think the Syracuse collective could have paid him $30-40k. Maybe LSU gave $80k? I can be totally off the radar on my assumptions, but if the difference in NIL was something even close to that then it would only amplify the interesting decision making.

This is poster board material for the next guy who thinks getting that little bit extra NIL money is worth it. He went from possibly entering the draft after this season to possibly not playing football again for a season and a half. Who is advising these kids?
I don't blame this first wave of kids for jumping at the money. Unfortunately 3 of our guys are proving to be cautionary tales for next season's potential portal poaches.

I just hope Deuce's NIL was front loaded.

And I would gladly welcome him back.

Yea but Jesse was just a bad break with what happened to Huggins. It’s not going to effect his draft stock or his overseas earnings. Duce potentially made a life altering decision. No matter how he performed at LSU, he had enough good tape and accolades at SU, where it was almost a given he would declare, and most likely get drafted after this season (Assuming he matched Fr/So performance).

I would like to know how much he actually got. I just don’t see even places like LSU handing over 6 figures to a potential db starter. I’m just guessing, but i would think the Syracuse collective could have paid him $30-40k. Maybe LSU gave $80k? I can be totally off the radar on my assumptions, but if the difference in NIL was something even close to that then it would only amplify the interesting decision making.

I was thinking that we will be so successful (wishful thinking) this season that Jesse will regret missing out while WVU tanks and sits at home in March (more wishful thinking).

So could Duce play this year out at LSU, redshirt next year at LSU (because im sure they'll recruit over him via portal/HS in the off season regardless) then transfer back here after he graduates? Wouldnt that solve the tight time frame issues he would have with getting everything completed? I would imagine it wouldn't bother to many current corners here because now we are an extra year out. I dont know how ideal it is for Duce because its a bit of a long road, but he probably would have fulfilled his NIL obligations so he keeps that money, comes back to where he wants to be, doesn't piss off to many of our current teammates, and still has a shot to show his skills and go pro.
In theory I think he could do that. If he's suspended, I'm not sure it's realistic for it to play out like that.

Last edited:
Seems like it, but the rules seems so arbitrary.
In this situation they're not. If he plays no more than 4, it can count as a redshirt year. If he graduates, he can transfer without having to sit. It's pretty cut and dry. Where it's a lot fuzzier is when guys ask for an exemption. Nobody is talking about that here.

I suspect he can get good advice from the SU coaching staff and former teammates.
I doubt he'll come back, but hopefully will find some playing time somewhere in 2025.

How bad must things have gone for Duce if he couldn’t get on the field for LSU? They can’t cover anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.