Class of 2015 - CB Gerald Robinson (FL) Verbal to FAU | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 CB Gerald Robinson (FL) Verbal to FAU

I chose them because they're starting this season. Here's our Florida haul since Marrone. Cherry pick away

*Offers are per sct, rvls and newspaper articles

Bryce Hawkes
(O)

Max Beaulieu
(O) Arkansas, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Wake Forest

Jeremi Wilkes
(O) FSU, LVille, Rutgers, Iowa

Beckett Wales
(O) Duke, Iowa, Indiana

Keon Lyn
(O) Northern Illinois

Oliver Vigille
(O) South Florida, UCF

Durrell Eskridge
(O) FSU, Georgia, Purdue, UCF, Cincy, Marshall

Rich Desir
(O) WVU, Texas Tech, Kansas

James Washington
(O) South Carolina, WVU, Illinois, Pitt, Purdue, BC, Duke, Iowa State, Vandy, Michigan State, Cincy

Julian Whigham
(O) Miami, NIU, WMU

Tyler Provo
(O) LVille, BC, UCF, Minnesota, Purdue, Pitt, USF

Marquez Hodge
(O) WVU, Minnesota, Cincy, Marshall, FIU, Western Kentucky (Petrino)

Andre Batten - McDonald
(O) Duke, Kentucky, Minnesota, UConn, Temple, Bowling Green (Kent State FLIP)

Brisley Estime - McDonald
(O) Cincy, Iowa State, NC State, Purdue

Josh Avant - McDonald
(O) LVille, Wake, UCF, Temple, Marshall, FIU, Bowling Green

I'm familiar. Only issue with your list is Estime, Avant definitely committed after Marrone left and Batten might have too. None of what you posted changes my above analysis.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the MCD impact on Florida recruiting. I'll stick with my position as stated above. More Florida players per class and better Florida talent over the last two classes than in the prior 10 years. Is what it is.

I chose them because they're starting this season. Here's our Florida haul since Marrone. Cherry pick away

*Offers are per sct, rvls and newspaper articles

Bryce Hawkes
(O)

Max Beaulieu
(O) Arkansas, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Wake Forest

Jeremi Wilkes
(O) FSU, LVille, Rutgers, Iowa

Beckett Wales
(O) Duke, Iowa, Indiana

Keon Lyn
(O) Northern Illinois

Oliver Vigille
(O) South Florida, UCF

Durrell Eskridge
(O) FSU, Georgia, Purdue, UCF, Cincy, Marshall

Rich Desir
(O) WVU, Texas Tech, Kansas

James Washington
(O) South Carolina, WVU, Illinois, Pitt, Purdue, BC, Duke, Iowa State, Vandy, Michigan State, Cincy

Julian Whigham
(O) Miami, NIU, WMU

Tyler Provo
(O) LVille, BC, UCF, Minnesota, Purdue, Pitt, USF

Marquez Hodge
(O) WVU, Minnesota, Cincy, Marshall, FIU, Western Kentucky (Petrino)

Andre Batten - McDonald
(O) Duke, Kentucky, Minnesota, UConn, Temple, Bowling Green (Kent State FLIP)

Brisley Estime - McDonald
(O) Cincy, Iowa State, NC State, Purdue

Josh Avant - McDonald
(O) LVille, Wake, UCF, Temple, Marshall, FIU, Bowling Green

Ya and before Marrone took over we weren't targeting Florida as heavy as we are now. Robinson took us to areas we had no business being in so our efforts in Florida dried up. So it's obvious we wouldn't be bringing in as many kids.

My next question is what makes these kids better then the other 20 kids we bring in? Just because they are from Florida? You can argue Acosta has done a better job in his short time here in NJ. Slice it what ever way you feel, but the kids he had committed in this class are the same type of kids we have been getting, and will continue to get post George. You also have to figure in better facilities, better on-field success, and ACC affiliation, so you could also argue that McDonald should be doing better then he has. He definitely isn't bringing in the talent that he brought to Minnesota that earned him his grading as a top 20 recruiter nationally.

I should also point out that Estime and Avant fell into our lap. Estime wanted to commit to NCST, but they wouldn't accept him because he was an academic risk. We were his only option left. As for Avant he didn't sign until June because he was a late qualifier. Another who fell into our lap, and neither have really done anything during their time here.

I will go out on a limb and say if we brought in Casullo from STA we would see the exact same results, if not better, then what McDonald has produced the last 3 seasons.

Is anyone really worried because Doyle Grimes decommitted to go to Marshall? Who is the best offer out of the Fla guys in the 2015 class? Marshall? Utah?

EDIT: Meant to quote Louie

Last edited:
I should also point out that Estime and Avant fell into our lap. Estime wanted to commit to NCST, but they wouldn't accept him because he was an academic risk. We were his only option left. As for Avant he didn't sign until June because he was a late qualifier. Another who fell into our lap, and neither have really done anything during their time here.

One is a RF and the other a true soph. And the true soph was 4th on the team in receiving as a true freshman and had the key play in our bowl win with his punt return. You're talking about them as if they're both juniors or seniors. Haven't done anything during their time? What do you expect them both to be All Americans as freshman?

One is a RF and the other a true soph. And the true soph was 4th on the team in receiving as a true freshman and had the key play in our bowl win with his punt return. You're talking about them as if they're both juniors or seniors. Haven't done anything during their time? What do you expect them both to be All Americans as freshman?

Ok that's fine. So let's not count them as some recruiting coup.

Ok that's fine. So let's not count them as some recruiting coup.

I get that you're frustrated right now, we all are. I was a big fan of Marrone, still am. But one of his biggest misses while he was here was not recruiting a proper heir to Nassib. Maybe Zach Allen would have been that guy, but if you think Avant and Estime haven't done much, then don't look at his stat sheet. The lack of talent and able depth at the QB position was a problem all 4 years while he was on campus (thank god Nassib didn't get hurt) and its the most critical position on the team.

When was Esk offered by FSU or GA? He went on a late visit to WVU that we were all sweating about but they never offered.

I know some of the offers are crap but It's from an old rvls article. Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
I know some of the offers are crap but It's from an old rvls article. Don't shoot the messenger.

No worries, I just never saw that mentioned anywhere. You got me on that one :)

John in Baltimore ask for a summary of the current recruiting class. Brian suggested that all the injuries might convince some players to come here because there will be openings. Coach: “We’ve had a lot of success on the trail. I can’t talk about individual players. There’s a lot of ebb and flow to it. Kids waiver a bit. So do we. When we have injuries we might have to re-think who we need.”

Interesting Shafer said this just yesterday. Could it be in reference to the lack of contact Robinson was talking about?

John in Baltimore ask for a summary of the current recruiting class. Brian suggested that all the injuries might convince some players to come here because there will be openings. Coach: “We’ve had a lot of success on the trail. I can’t talk about individual players. There’s a lot of ebb and flow to it. Kids waiver a bit. So do we. When we have injuries we might have to re-think who we need.”

Interesting Shafer said this just yesterday. Could it be in reference to the lack of contact Robinson was talking about?
I think you are setting yourself up for disaster if you go hard for a kid early and get his commitment then back off and hope the kid decommits. Creates hard feelings on the part of coaches would be my guess. I am also wondering about Shafer's filter when it comes to saying stupid things that can be misconstrued.

I think you are setting yourself up for disaster if you go hard for a kid early and get his commitment then back off and hope the kid decommits. Creates hard feelings on the part of coaches would be my guess. I am also wondering about Shafer's filter when it comes to saying stupid things that can be misconstrued.

I agree with this. Especially at his HS that always has talent.

I just don't know why you would accept a commitment from a kid in April unless you are absolutely sure you wanted him. Just seems weird, especially when there are other kids who have serious injuries, but you still honor their commitment. imo it just doesn't add up.

Could also be talking about Sheppard and Parkinson who we have seemingly gone back and forth on the whole cycle.

what kind of disaster ? hard feelings? Miami did the same thing to Alin Eduoard last year. Do you think it hurts them?

Wisconsin just did it to Barry.

But not contacting someone as much as they think they should be contacted isn't exactly rescinding the offer/commitment. Syracuse staff can pretty easily side step that. Call high school coach and ask why he decommited pretty much absolves them from any shady business.

could very well be other kids and could simply mean we were targeting a LB but now we need another WR or OL. Where are our injuries, OL, DL, HB?

what kind of disaster ? hard feelings? Miami did the same thing to Alin Eduoard last year. Do you think it hurts them?

Wisconsin just did it to Barry.

But not contacting someone as much as they think they should be contacted isn't exactly rescinding the offer/commitment. Syracuse staff can pretty easily side step that. Call high school coach and ask why he decommited pretty much absolves them from any shady business.

could very well be other kids and could simply mean we were targeting a LB but now we need another WR or OL. Where are our injuries, OL, DL, HB?
I don't think we have the cache a Miami or Wisconsin has when it comes to messing with recruits. And I'm not saying that is what happened in this case. I was mainly commenting on Shafer's comment. He seems to say things that are open to interpretation and that can be misconstrued. Kind of like his comment that we go after kids who aren't highly recruited.

I don't think we have the cache a Miami or Wisconsin has when it comes to messing with recruits. And I'm not saying that is what happened in this case. I was mainly commenting on Shafer's comment. He seems to say things that are open to interpretation and that can be misconstrued. Kind of like his comment that we go after kids who aren't highly recruited.

cache or no cache you think it's good business for miami to do it to kids in their own backyard? at Hialeah?

by the way, we're trying to poach a Wake kid from Robinson's high school in WR Steven Claude. I honestly don't think we backed off Robinson unless it's evident there are some other issues happening with him; grades, off field etc. I think the Shaf comments are in regards to just changing needs for positions we are targeting here at the end.

cache or no cache you think it's good business for miami to do it to kids in their own backyard? at Hialeah?

by the way, we're trying to poach a Wake kid from Robinson's high school in WR Steven Claude. I honestly don't think we backed off Robinson unless it's evident there are some other issues happening with him; grades, off field etc. I think the Shaf comments are in regards to just changing needs for positions we are targeting here at the end.
I agree. Don't think we backed off either.

I can tell you in our meeting with coach Shafer he spoke directly to a question about ignoring kids getting them to decommit. I brought up a kid I met that a school did that to and he told me he is completely against schools doing that to kids. He told us once we take your commitment you have ours regardless of what happens injury grades etc. he said they will stick with you no matter what. He feels it damages a schools credibility with future recruiting. I would guess given that everyone was estimating 4 to 5 more spots open this year they don't need a pretty good player to decommit to make more room for kids that they might get.

I find it HARD to believe we backed off. Unless there were major grade issues (which if he was planning on enrolling in January there shouldn't be). Or major character issues.

I don't think either of those things are true. And his play this year and in the past hasn't given any indication that we couldn't use his help.

I find it HARD to believe we backed off. Unless there were major grade issues (which if he was planning on enrolling in January there shouldn't be). Or major character issues.

I don't think either of those things are true. And his play this year and in the past hasn't given any indication that we couldn't use his help.

Well if he is coming for an OV in January than he isn't enrolling in January. According to his twitter he passed his ACT and SATs but perhaps there is an issue with his GPA.

I doubt that we flip Claude. The kid wants to be a doctor. Wake has a fantastic medical program.

I don't care who you hire, we aren't bringing in a lot of 4 star kids. Won't happen. Don't have location, facilities or crowd support at this point compared to most of the programs who land the majority of these kids. McDonald is was an elite recruiter it's the product being sold that is holding us back.
So in other words he was an ELITE recruiter at Miami and Arkansas, just not here. He brought in a couple nice players but not great. The fact is our best class in over a decade is middle of the pack ACC. Sorry to be called "Elite" he needs to outperform in spite of our circumstances.

I'm on board with him not being elite, but who says he hasn't outperformed in spite of the circumstances?

Last edited:
So in other words he was an ELITE recruiter at Miami and Arkansas, just not here. He brought in a couple nice players but not great. The fact is our best class in over a decade is middle of the pack ACC. Sorry to be called "Elite" he needs to outperform in spite of our circumstances.
You are forgetting his 17th ranked recruiting class at Minnesota.

Talk about cherry picking? Eskridge playing out of necessity? He will be the first Syracuse guy taken in the draft this year. He was a pre-season top 5 safety for underclassmen. Let's see if any of the guys McDonald brought in will do that.

I thought McDonald's Florida haul from last year was solid, but the guys he got this year were the same type of kids, maybe even a step down, that we have always got. And it could be we are bringing in more Florida talent now, is because we are putting more of an emphasis on it.

Ya i'm not buying that either. Feels like a whole lot of spin to me.
I think there is a lack of coaching once they arrive here in Syracuse. GM is now the WR coach until he resigns in about a month or so. I think that Ishmael could be great if they use him well. Today he was ignored for the most part. The best hands guy is Ben Lewis. Dispite that dropped TD in the end zone a while back he has shown a ton of good stuff . His only draw back is his lack of speed and that is more likely to the kind of passes they choose for his routes in that he doesn't get to catch a slant where he might be able to stretch his legs and show what he does have.Have you seen a deep route thrown to Ishmael yet? its effn pathetic As far as Lester is concerned,I think he is just the latest patch job for Shafer who is concentrating on defense as was his primary thinking as the DC.Strange if your defense can pitch shutouts maybe it can win games. The offenses is not there in this TEAM SPORT. The defense is on the field waytoolong because of the lack of production from the offense. If Shafer can't figure that out then What is he thinking as the "head coach"?

Andre Fernandez @AndreMHsports · 6h6 hours ago
Hialeah Champagnat removed from state football playoffs http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/prep-miami-dade/article3895897.html…

Miramar isn’t the only South Florida high school football powerhouse that isn’t being allowed to participate in the playoffs this year.
Hialeah Champagnat Catholic, the reigning Class 2A state champion, has been told by the Florida High School Athletic Association it must vacate the playoff bracket after it violated one of its bylaws when it walked off the field and forfeited midway through last week’s regular-season game at Bradenton IMG Academy.
“As of yesterday, the FHSAA told us we would not be able to participate in the state series,” Champagnat athletic director Isabel Alonso told The Miami Herald on Friday.
The FHSAA bylaw, 4.7.1.1.4 states:
Miramar football team expected to be booted from playoffs for alleged violations [/paste:font]
“Each contracted regular season game shall be played as scheduled unless it is canceled due to inclement weather [Policy 32]. A school that fails to play a contracted game as scheduled shall forfeit the game and shall become ineligible to participate in the Florida High School State Championships that season or a future season. Should this occur, all district games played by the school shall be considered nondistrict games, shall not count in the district standings, and shall be removed from the football district for the remainder of the classification cycle.”
Alonso said the school was given the option to appeal the ruling and said she and the school’s leadership are weighing their options as of Thursday morning.
According to local reports of the game, the Lions (6-4) were trailing IMG Academy in last week’s nondistrict contest 48-8 with six minutes remaining in the second quarter when they chose to stop playing and exited the field.
The victory was awarded to IMG via forfeit.
The Lions were set to play Jupiter Christian Friday in a Region 4-2A semifinal at Betty Ferguson Park at 7 p.m. If the ruling stands, Jupiter Christian would receive a bye to the next round.

B25ObTfIcAAIXlt.jpg:large

Previous
Next

He is retweeting this pic from a prior visit to FAU.