Class of 2015 - CB Gerald Robinson (FL) Verbal to FAU | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 CB Gerald Robinson (FL) Verbal to FAU

B25ObTfIcAAIXlt.jpg:large

Previous
Next

He is retweeting this pic from a prior visit to FAU.

Is it just me or does he look 8 years old in that picture?

The playing out of necessity was in reference to Desir not Eskridge and all four players were from a prior post referencing how well we've done in Florida without McDonald on the staff. Those were the four chosen by that poster, I guess because they've seen the field at Syracuse. I wish I had four full MCD classes of Florida guys to match your one NFL draft pick (Eskridge) we've had out of the State of Florida in the last 10 years.

Onto the matter at hand and that is the continued trumpeting of how well we've done in Florida prior to McDonald, he hasn't upped the talent level and the talent he's getting from Florida is the same talent we've always got, thus, once he's gone things in Florida will continue on status quo. There are many variations of these statements that have been reiterated on this board.

Alert: This isn't the 80's and 90's anymore and the Florida talent/bodies on the roster since 2000 have been few and far between. I don't understand why people continue to say we've been pulling this talent always and no big deal if we lose a S. Fla. recruiter with the ties on the ground that MCD has there. Do you really believe that or are you just being contrarian? I know you follow recruiting and used to be a strong supporter of McDonalds efforts so I don't quite understand.

Let me break it down for you and everyone else that feels our recruiting in Florida has remained static and we always get the guys we've gotten in the 2014 and 2015 classes. Lets go to school. Once again, the numbers don't lie.

In the classes from 2002 until 2012 (11 years of recruiting) we signed 20 players from the State of Florida or 1.8 players per year. Of those 20 players we signed:

3-star - 3 players

2-star - 15 players

Unrated - 2 players

In the 2014 and 2015 classes we have had 13 signed/committed players (prior to Grimes and Robinson decommits) from the State of Florida or 6.5 per year. Of those 13 players signed/committed:

3-star - 11 players

2-star - 2 players

*2013 was not included in the analysis due to changeover in staff. In the interest of full disclosure 2 Florida guys committed prior to the staff change (Provo and Hodge) and 3 Florida guys committed after the staff change (Batten, Estime, Avant).

How anyone can look at the numbers/players and think that MCD hasn't been a huge help in Florida is either blind or just wants to argue for the sake of arguing.

I undersand that MCD has polarized the fanbase but the attempts at cutting into his recruiting prowess in the State of Florida come off as sour grapes and aren't founded in reality. Bottom line is that without a Florida recruiter with roots/contacts in the Florida HS football scene Syracuse University will not recruit well in Florida. That's just how it is my friend. Pretty sure the staff knows this as well. Why the hell does everyone think we've been recruiting the Midwest with the makeup of our staff and now NJ with Acosta? They have proven contacts/credibility/relationship in those areas.

My father always told me to try and not argue facts so I'm done with this debate for now. Although doubtful it will influence the staunches anti-MCD crowd I am hopeful it has educated some as to the last decade of our efforts/failures in State of Florida and how we were on the brink of turning that around.

Go CUSE! Beat Duke!
Too many of us like to make bold statements with no facts to back them up. Way to back up your stance with some solid research. MCD is on record as a strong Florida recruiter….before he came to the Cuse and will be one after he leaves. The hope is that more of the Florida talent really produce strong results on the field.

I don't care who you hire, we aren't bringing in a lot of 4 star kids. Won't happen. Don't have location, facilities or crowd support at this point compared to most of the programs who land the majority of these kids. McDonald is was an elite recruiter it's the product being sold that is holding us back.
What too many of our fans don't want to admit is that our product is not as attractive to top prospects as some of the schools we compete against. I was at the Clemson game, talked with some former players, asked them what made them pick Clemson. One of the themes was "dude", look around ! 80 thousand fans at the game, some of whom pay 10 thousand dollars a season to park in the lots near the stadium for tailgating. The fans are willing to pat a $1,000 athletic fee above the price of their season ticket's to support the team. The other responses: Girls..lots of girls who love football! Now, if we are going to win recruiting wars against them,we have to improve our product, and that starts with financial support from the community.

yeah...so the midseason demotion hasnt work one bit. Not only has our offense not looked better at all...we are now starting to lose recruits. This should have been handled in the offseason. I really like Shafer but am starting to think he is in over his head right now. I certainly hope I am wrong, and recognize that this is just year 2 and we have been beaten badly by a horrible schedule and injuries.
Look at Muschamp at Florida, in 4 years, he hired 3 offensive coordinators and none of them produced the results needed to save his job. Building success takes time. Scheme, players to fit the scheme, execution of the scheme. Can you really do that in 2 years?

Talk about cherry picking? Eskridge playing out of necessity? He will be the first Syracuse guy taken in the draft this year. He was a pre-season top 5 safety for underclassmen. Let's see if any of the guys McDonald brought in will do that.

I thought McDonald's Florida haul from last year was solid, but the guys he got this year were the same type of kids, maybe even a step down, that we have always got. And it could be we are bringing in more Florida talent now, is because we are putting more of an emphasis on it.

Ya i'm not buying that either. Feels like a whole lot of spin to me.
Bringing Florida kids with talent is only good if you can coach them to succeed. I think that the coaching staff generally speaking is weak in the improving side of the job. These coaches may all be "nice guys" but the kids need more than that. The OCs that Shaffer has employed are jokes. The recent option plays that AJ has been attempted are filled with What pitch backs. Where is the coaching here or is it the prevailing assumption that AJ is incapable of performing a clean pitch to the RB on this call?? Calling plays that calls for PTG running east/west which always gets thrown for a loss or no game. How many freaking times have they called this play with negative results. Sure now the season is over but this goes to show incompetency. There are far more incidences of this during the season. Just how football smart is the head coach if looking at the video after the games to not recognize that he is being sabotaged from within. Thats rhetorical of course.

I think he thought some bigger fish were going to be calling more often than they are.

@Bubba_island: Officially Committed To Florida Athletic University Go Owls #Blessed

@joshdarrow: 2015 Champagnat DB Gerald "Bubba" Robinson @Bubba_island flips from Syracuse to FAU tonight...

FAU better send Syracuse coaches a gift basket for passing on Robinson and Kittles.

I see Florida Atlantic has the same problem with Florida Athletic as we do with the University of Syracuse.

Alsacs said:
Is this kid a big loss or is more of a G5 kid?

I think the staff backed off - so maybe a reach for p5, and better prospects elsewhere?

I think the staff backed off - so maybe a reach for p5, and better prospects elsewhere?

My guess is staff backed off as well since he said he decommited due to lack of contact (his words) and we subsequently did same w lindor. If true, shows you the board sometimes doesnt have all the right info since many called him one of the better recruits. No knock on anyone but that was the impression i had.