Chad Ford draft updates... | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford draft updates...

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Just saw these pop up, guess its the downside that comes with going on this kind of run.

Lydon comes off the bench for Syracuse, but don't let that fool you. He has all the tools of a good stretch 4 at the next level. He's a 6-foot-9. athletic forward who has shot 40 percent from 3 this season and has proven to be an effective shot blocker.

He has been up and down in the tournament, but his strong play against Virginia -- hitting three big 3s and blocking five shots -- caught scouts attention.

He's the prototypical stretch 4 that the NBA is looking for right now and has the numbers as a freshman to back up being a mid- to late-first-round pick if he declares. The fact that he gets to play in the Final Four only helps his chances of improving his stock.

Richardson has been on the NBA radar all season, but really as a wait-and-see prospect. He's a long, athletic and versatile offensive player who can shoot the 3 and slither to the basket -- but he has been wildly inconsistent all season.

That inconsistency has largely carried over into the tournament. After a strong start against Dayton, he shot just 4-for-21 from the field against Middle Tennessee and Gonzaga. But then the Virginia game happened.

After starting 0-for-7, he exploded in the second half with 21 points, three huge 3s and a couple of big steals, helping carry Syracuse to the Final Four. He now has a chance to prove himself on the biggest stage in college basketball.

If he can help Syracuse pull off an upset against North Carolina on Saturday, you'll start hearing about him as a potential first-round pick. He looks the part and in a draft devoid of elite 2-guard prospects, he'll get some interest.

compare Mali to Wesley..

smaller, less of a shooter, less athletic, not as good at actually getting to the basket.

does he have more upside than a fringe NBA guy career and get drafted high on that?

Fantastic to see these kids make the final four. Soon comes the down side for us fans.

If we win the whole thing, I don't think anyone will have a problem with both of them leaving. If we lose on Saturday or Monday, I have to think they'll be hungry for more. Wallace stayed. Melo wanted to stay. Not everyone is Ennis or Grant.

I think Lydon knows he can be a Top 10 Pick next year. He has the higher grade at the moment but is probably more likely to come back.

Richardson getting a first round grade is scary. I thought, up until just now, that he would come back, but with his age, if he goes off in the Final 4, he might just move up high enough to make that decision really difficult.

Any analytics guru will tell you not to base NBA potential on tournament performance as the sample size is too small. Let's keep our fingers crossed the scouts heed this advice and give them low ratings, convincing them both to come back*

*Disclaimer: I fully understand that players must do what is in their best interest and may decide to enter the draft this year. If they do so, I will harbor no ill will toward either and wish them nothing but good luck in future professional basketball endeavors. Furthermore, I recognize that my wanting them to come back is for primarily selfish reasons (although I do want them to be in the best position possible when they enter the NBA draft) and that neither Tyler Lydon nor Malachi Richardson should take my personal feelings into account when making decisions regarding their future. As a Syracuse basketball fan, I respect and support the players on the team. Hashtag GoOrange.

JB is going to let them know the perils of leaving a year to early. Why would they want to be a late first round pick when next year they will probably be low first round pick? They seem like they love the atmosphere and know patience. Ennis caught us off guard...but everybody knew Grant, MCW, Dion ETC was going. I have a feeling Lydon will do the Grant and come back for a second year and leave.

This is why I find the NBA so comical.

Any one of thousands of scenarios could have happened that prevented Syracuse from reaching the second round, much less the Final Four. All of which completely out of the control of Richardson and Lydon. But because those scenarios occurred and they made it to the Final Four, suddenly they're first round picks. It's ridiculous.

JB is going to let them know the perils of leaving a year to early. Why would they want to be a late first round pick when next year they will probably be low first round pick? They seem like they love the atmosphere and know patience. Ennis caught us off guard...but everybody knew Grant, MCW, Dion ETC was going. I have a feeling Lydon will do the Grant and come back for a second year and leave.
At this point, I feel like if someone is fairly certain he's going in the first round, the idea of guaranteed millions is too hard to pass up. Not that I blame them. If they think they go in the 2nd round, my guess is they come back.

*Disclaimer: I fully understand that players must do what is in their best interest and may decide to enter the draft this year. If they do so, I will harbor no ill will toward either and wish them nothing but good luck in future professional basketball endeavors. Furthermore, I recognize that my wanting them to come back is for primarily selfish reasons (although I do want them to be in the best position possible when they enter the NBA draft) and that neither Tyler Lydon nor Malachi Richardson should take my personal feelings into account when making decisions regarding their future. As a Syracuse basketball fan, I respect and support the players on the team. Hashtag GoOrange.
Funny disclaimer. There certainly are a lot of martyrs out there carrying the flag of righteousness who can't wait to pounce on college basketball fan who dares to root for the best interest of their favorite program.

Funny disclaimer. There certainly are a lot of martyrs out there carrying the flag of righteousness who can't wait to pounce on college basketball fan who dares to root for the best interest of their favorite program.
I've got no problem saying that I want these guys to come back and that they shouldn't care about my opinion... And at the end of the day, I think Boeheim will be an honest broker. He didn't stand in Flynn or Waiter's way. I think he did try to get Donte Green to comeback but I also think he was honestly thinking of Green's best interests.

They'll test out the waters. If they get graded out in the first round, they'll go. If not, they'll stay. Who knows, maybe they'll stay anyway.

I'm not sure why this is a big deal.

These guys have been on NBA radars since day one.

The rumblings always get louder when you are on a team that makes a big run in the tourney. Comes with being a great program.

If there is even a chance they'd fall to the second round, I don't think either of these two guys would go. Just my 0.02 - no inside information.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. If they go, they go.

The problem with that is in 2014 he pretty much declared to Grant and Ennis that they werent ready and they didnt listen to him. My guess is he will advise TL and Mal they arent quite ready. Doesnt mean they will listen.

Last edited:
The problem with that is in 2014 he pretty much declared to Grant and Ennis that they werent ready and they didnt listen to them. My guess is he will advise TL and Mal they arent quite ready. Doesnt mean they will listen.

There is a new system now. They can be evaluated and come back.

BTW, Grant and Ennis are doing fine. Those two were never going to be more than rotation players, at best, in the NBA, no matter how long they stayed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom