Chad Ford draft updates... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Chad Ford draft updates...

I hope MR comes back, but when I think about it, I feel like he's in better position than Dion Waiters when he left. On the other hand, Waiters hasn't had a great pro career.

RandygoCuse said:
I hope MR comes back, but when I think about it, I feel like he's in better position than Dion Waiters when he left. On the other hand, Waiters hasn't had a great pro career.

I think he's had a fine pro career. If you're drawing an NBA paycheck and playing regular minutes?

Not everyone is an all star.

I think he's had a fine pro career. If you're drawing an NBA paycheck and playing regular minutes?

Not everyone is an all star.
Good point. I guess I meant relative to where he was drafted, but he's certainly found a place in the league.

I don't know if it's been brought up yet in this thread, but there is an incredible silver lining if one or both of Lydon and Mal go pro. Saying you took two players not on any draft radars to start the season and turned them into first round picks has to be one of the best recruiting pitches a coach could have. If they leave early, I'd expect it to pay dividends over the next few years on the recruiting trail.

In what way?

A couple inches bigger. I feel like he's a better shooter too, though I'm the first to admit that I haven't looked at their percentages.

Dion was a much more efficient scorer at Syracuse. Better 3 point shooter based on %'s (though the degree of difficulty and volume of Malachi's is pretty impressive) and just light years better inside the arc (53% vs. 38%). I'm sure there are worse 2PT%'s out there, but 38% is absolutely horrific. Dion also projected as a better defender based on Steal %, Block %, and his athleticism (though Malachi's wingspan helps a lot in that regard). Dion was also a far better ball-handler and passer.

Edit: Personally, I was never high on Dion as a prospect, but he was a much better prospect as a sophomore than Malachi currently is.

Last edited:
thejuice said:
Roberson I think is the most likely to leave

The same Roberson JB said wouldn't play a minute if he had someone better?

The NBA is pretty great, now.:noidea:
Maybe, but the teams are watered down as far as talent. Partially from early entries that wash out and partially from expansion. 30-40 years ago every team had a "big three" or a "big four". Now having tree really good guys is a rarity.

Yeah, I agree with this, in that Lydon does have to improve his handle to be a three at the next level. I also think he's 6'8", having met him.
Not according to the measurements at the Durant Skill Academy. Measured 6'9.5" in shoes (the way they are all measured, now) with a 6'10.5' wing span. This was in '14. Taller than thought and shortewr wingspan than expected. Great timing and vertical, though.

A point on Lydon's value. NBA teams are more than ever stressing the importance of wing span relative to height. The taller a player is the more chance they have of breaking down and all things being equal, the harder it is to just move around.

the game is a faster, more reliant on speed / quickness / shooting. They dont care if you are 7'0" tall. they do care about your wingspan because functionally on the court, your wing span is more important than your height.

if lydon truly does have a 7'1" wingspan, then that's going to bump him up in the scouts eyes. it doesn't really matter if he's 6'* or 6'9
He was measured 3 times in '14 at three different places. His wingspan was 6'9.5 twice and 6'11.5 once. Pick your poison

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom