Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

Good! I’ve never understood the position of forward anyway. I am an ignoramus who loves basketball! Back in my day girls weren’t allowed to play sports, so I imagine that if I had actually played I may have understood those positions. I am pretty sure Cherie played, which explains her great basketball wisdom, but she’s also around my age (perhaps) so I’m not sure how she managed this.

But I digress . . .

Yep. If you look at the top programs around the country they ask kids to do what they are good at in defining their role and work to develop and expand upon those skillsets. Obviously there are physical characteristics that are undeniable in terms of true bigs and smaller guards. That said true positions have blended together anymore especially 1-4.

How they are put together there are a number of different approaches from the gang rebounding ugly clutch and grab Houston teams to what you saw from the 3.5/4 guard/wing lineups of Nova, Baylor, FAU, Miami etc.

This is a purposeful simplification but you need a good balanced group on the floor that includes guys that can drive, pass, shoot, defend and rebound. Too much of one thing or too little of another paired with size and strength to boot is hopefully dictated by matchups not by how the roster is put together. Versatility rules the game and Red is very tuned into this.

Yep. If you look at the top programs around the country they ask kids to do what they are good at in defining their role and work to develop and expand upon those skillsets. Obviously there are physical characteristics that are undeniable in terms of true bigs and smaller guards. That said true positions have blended together anymore especially 1-4.

How they are put together there are a number of different approaches from the gang rebounding ugly clutch and grab Houston teams to what you saw from the 3.5/4 guard/wing lineups of Nova, Baylor, FAU, Miami etc.

This is a purposeful simplification but you need a good balanced group on the floor that includes guys that can drive, pass, shoot, defend and rebound. Too much of one thing or too little of another paired with size and strength to boot is hopefully dictated by matchups not by how the roster is put together. Versatility rules the game and Red is very tuned into this.
Jimmy's run in the 80's for 5 years 26 or more wins. You had bigs like DC and Billy who could handle the ball, and create their own shot. They could also pass, the small forwards like Stewie and Dave Johnson also could score and pass.
Then you had Sherm who orchestrated the action.

Jimmy's run in the 80's for 5 years 26 or more wins. You had bigs like DC and Billy who could handle the ball, and create their own shot. They could also pass, the small forwards like Stewie and Dave Johnson also could score and pass.
Then you had Sherm who orchestrated the action.
The outlet passes and transition passes up the court really were a thing of beauty.

I think there's something to this.

I believe there is a chance that Q is legitimately a pure point guard.

He's just a really tall one.

Which is pretty cool.
Q wasn't ready to be a point guard last year, that much is clear and obvious. I'm not at all sure that means he can never be a point guard. But I also dont think the term point guard is necessarily relevant anymore in the way it was for Sherman Douglas who did almost all the ball handling for that '87 final four team.

Dolezaj did a lot of our ball handling from the 5 spot just a couple years ago.

Its far more helpful in my opinon to look at what skills you have on the court rather than what position someone should play. In a perfect world you have 5 rim protectors, 5 rebounders, 5 passers, 5 ball handlers, 5 shooters. Of course no team has ever had all of that, so you have to make consessions, but there is no such thing as having too much ball handling or too much passing, these are valuable skills you want everyone to have if possible.

Mintz, JJ, and Q can all be 'point guards' on the floor at the same time so long as they can also shoot well enough to play off the ball.

If we can field 3 'point guards' any team with even one weak perimeter defender is in trouble because he will be forced to guard someone who can drive by him and finish or find the open man if a double team comes.

Copeland doesn't need to be the guy who gets every outlet pass after every rebound the way Sherman Douglas did to be a great point guard in my opinion, he just needs have dribbling and passing skills.

Q wasn't ready to be a point guard last year, that much is clear and obvious. I'm not at all sure that means he can never be a point guard. But I also dont think the term point guard is necessarily relevant anymore in the way it was for Sherman Douglas who did almost all the ball handling for that '87 final four team.

Dolezaj did a lot of our ball handling from the 5 spot just a couple years ago.

Its far more helpful in my opinon to look at what skills you have on the court rather than what position someone should play. In a perfect world you have 5 rim protectors, 5 rebounders, 5 passers, 5 ball handlers, 5 shooters. Of course no team has ever had all of that, so you have to make consessions, but there is no such thing as having too much ball handling or too much passing, these are valuable skills you want everyone to have if possible.

Mintz, JJ, and Q can all be 'point guards' on the floor at the same time so long as they can also shoot well enough to play off the ball.

If we can field 3 'point guards' any team with even one weak perimeter defender is in trouble because he will be forced to guard someone who can drive by him and finish or find the open man if a double team comes.

Copeland doesn't need to be the guy who gets every outlet pass after every rebound the way Sherman Douglas did to be a great point guard in my opinion, he just needs have dribbling and passing skills.
Nice post. I think passing is an important skill that gets overlooked by people. Some players just see the court better than others. I think Copeland is one of those.

Nice post. I think passing is an important skill that gets overlooked by people. Some players just see the court better than others. I think Copeland is one of those.
I hope we see much more movement without the ball instead of players standing on the perimeter just waiting for the ball, watching whoever has the ball to make their move. Hope there are more offensive sets requiring movement, picks, screens, cuts to the basket, inside out-outside in passing etc. Make opponent’s defenses work, challenge them, create mismatches. Starts with effective rebounding, good outlet passes and of course tough defense.

I hope we see much more movement without the ball instead of players standing on the perimeter just waiting for the ball, watching whoever has the ball to make their move. Hope there are more offensive sets requiring movement, picks, screens, cuts to the basket, inside out-outside in passing etc. Make opponent’s defenses work, challenge them, create mismatches. Starts with effective rebounding, good outlet passes and of course tough defense.
After years of the "motion offense" with little motion, it will be nice to see three or four guards running their defenders into the ground in a steady rotation.

I'm very hopeful they run the weave (sometimes recently called the Baylor weave) frequently just to get defenders moving more than they want to.

Even if we get mismatches with defenders unable to stay in front of Mintz or Starling, we can't just go to our old 1 and 4 offense.

Isolation (1) and stand around (4).

Although sometimes just letting one of our guys burn his man over and over is fun, it isn't conducive to keeping everybody involved.

Chris is probably our best pure shooter. Stroke is very smooth.

I dont see the dribble and finishing skills to get to the hole consistently. but I like his pullup J.

I think Red will play with a fast intense style. Chris will need to step up his intensity under the glass and on D if he wants starter minutes; otherwise, Red will roll with hot hands.

My wildcard player is Cope. If he can hit over 30% from trey land and cut back on TOs he could get a lot of PT.
Like the concept of wildcard. Mine are Copeland, Cuffe, and Bell. Need some of them to break through. I think these 3 have the most untapped upside. The Cuffe tape is outrageous.

Yeah, JB was all about keeping it simple. The past several years, he continued to run simple, stale and predictable plays, and not many of them at that. And that came at a time when we didn’t have many playmakers. Totally mystifying decision. Back in the day, when we had fast athletes and playmakers, maybe that made sense. Not during the Buddy/Joe/Jimmy/Frank Howard era. JB stubbornly refused to install new offensive sets and more movement when we needed it most. I hope Red runs more complex and new offensive sets despite our increased athleticism.

Yeah, JB was all about keeping it simple. The past several years, he continued to run simple, stale and predictable plays, and not many of them at that. And that came at a time when we didn’t have many playmakers. Totally mystifying decision. Back in the day, when we had fast athletes and playmakers, maybe that made sense. Not during the Buddy/Joe/Jimmy/Frank Howard era. JB stubbornly refused to install new offensive sets and more movement when we needed it most. I hope Red runs more complex and new offensive sets despite our increased athleticism.
Helping to improve the offense is one of the reasons Red hired Straughn. He's supposed to be a good offensive coach well informed on analytics. Teams he joined as an assistant quickly improved their offensive output, which is a good data point, even though filled with statistical noise.

I, for one, will be extremely happy if only we attempt fewer two point shots with one foot on the three point line. Once upon a time, when JB started coaching, it didn't matter how far away from the basket you were when you shot, as long as you're open.

For some reason, all his teams took way too many long twos. As a low percentage shot with low rewards, it's a victory for the defense when the offense takes when a wide open mid range jumper. The team should strive to shoot only layups and threes. You can see an example in the Nunes article posted below, but there are lots of article supporting my conclusions.

I hope our scheme on offense is way better, as well as our talent next season.

Last edited:
Copeland being a turnover machine is simply not true. The stats do not support that.

It's a board trope that Copeland is a walking turnover. He isn't and he wasn't.
his turnovers were often of the egregious variety, though, so they stand out more

these guys wont stay freshman forever...they already arent.

at least a few of them will likely be much better than they were last year....

what matters is that Red and co pick the best players to play and dont hang on to sub par performers like JB did in his final years

most wouldnt pick bell as a top 5 player on this roster...but he can have games where he scores and shoots very well...

interesting to see how the playing time gets handed out bc the roster is deep and many players have an argument for being on the floor (its a good problem to have)

yeah listening to JB talk about Red and advice he gave him: block out the noise and trust your own voice...if you don't you will have a hard time maintaining belief in what you are doing

good advice...but also helps to explain a lot of the stubbornness at the end...

i hope Red just stays felixible and ready to adapt to circumstances - seems he built the roster with that in mind...

Helping to improve the offense is one of the reasons Red hired Straughn. He's supposed to be a good offensive coach well informed on analytics. Teams he joined as an assistant quickly improved their offensive output, which is a good data point, even though filled with statistical noise.

I, for one, will be extremely happy if only we attempt fewer two point shots with one foot on the three point line. Once upon a time, when JB started coaching, it didn't matter how far away from the basket you were when you shot, as long as you're open.

For some reason, all his teams took way too many long twos. As a low percentage shot with low rewards, it's a victory for the defense when the offense takes when a wide open mid range jumper. The team should strive to shoot only layups and threes. You can see an example in the Nunes article posted below, but there are lots of article supporting my conclusions.

I hope our scheme on offense is way better, as well as our talent next season.

I’ll be honest - I hate the layups or 3’s only style of play.

But I’m a Carmelo, Kobe, Josh Pace, Billy Edelin, Sherman Douglas guy….those are some of my favorite players.

I’m all for cutting out the contested off the dribble, long range twos….unless you’re Carmelo or Kobe.

I like guys who can get in the lane and do damage with the floaters, or take the shorter pull-ups when it’s open rather than barreling into the basket and all the defenders though.

so we know he had a procedure done? We assume meniscus? Why is everything a secret nowadays? Is there a timeline for return? We could really use his athleticism…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom