Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

is westry a guard or forward?

i see him playing the 3 next year and taking copelands role

why do so many articles talk about him as a guard?

If he plays as good as he looks, we’ll have a fabulous season!

Is that sexist? Or pervy? I don’t care.
My wife's favorites were Chris and Maliq last season. So are you saying that she might have a new favorite?

He's similar to Copeland. Probably can play the 1 and 3. He's another ball handler with vision on the court. I think.
This is a good way to explain "Chance Westry for dummies". Some people see that he's 6'6 and refuse to think that he can be a PG although he was recruited out of HS as one.

This is a good way to explain "Chance Westry for dummies". Some people see that he's 6'6 and refuse to think that he can be a PG although he was recruited out of HS as one.
No one here has ever questioned his talent. It’s his health that makes him an unknown and he hasn’t played a competitive game in nearly two seasons.

im not refusing to see anything

i realize he can player 1 through 3

my question is how does nayone know which role red will employ him in?

No one here has ever questioned his talent. It’s his health that makes him an unknown and he hasn’t played a competitive game in nearly two seasons.
I didn't even mention anything about talent. Was just explaining where he might play.

is westry a guard or forward?

i see him playing the 3 next year and taking copelands role

why do so many articles talk about him as a guard?

People get too hung up on old-school, traditional positions.

In the modern game, most players are positionless, and need to show versatility. Sure, we have two classic centers [Lamkin, McLeod] who can't play any other position, and probably a true 1 [Carlos] who can only play that position. Everyone else is multi-position:

JJ -- SG / PG
Bell -- SF / SG
Westry -- G / F
Davis -- PF / SF / C

I agree with you that the most likely scenario is that he plays Copeland's role off the bench, and becomes the 6th man who subs in for whoever. Then, there will be times when he has the ball in his hands, and other lineups where he plays off the ball.

But when you're versatile like Westry is, he could make a defensive play / get a defensive rebound on one end, push the ball in transition, and even initiate half-court offensive sets.

So guard, forward, whatever -- he'll play and be given the green light to do just about everything on offense. Whether he has the ball in his hands, initiating sets will be determined by who he is playing with in any given lineup.

People get too hung up on old-school, traditional positions.

In the modern game, most players are positionless, and need to show versatility. Sure, we have two classic centers [Lamkin, McLeod] who can't play any other position, and probably a true 1 [Carlos] who can only play that position. Everyone else is multi-position:

JJ -- SG / PG
Bell -- SF / SG
Westry -- G / F
Davis -- PF / SF / C

I agree with you that the most likely scenario is that he plays Copeland's role off the bench, and becomes the 6th man who subs in for whoever. Then, there will be times when he has the ball in his hands, and other lineups where he plays off the ball.

But when you're versatile like Westry is, he could make a defensive play / get a defensive rebound on one end, push the ball in transition, and even initiate half-court offensive sets.

So guard, forward, whatever -- he'll play and be given the green light to do just about everything on offense. Whether he has the ball in his hands, initiating sets will be determined by who he is playing with in any given lineup.
im not asking about westry or what he is capable of

im curious about red's role for westry

i didnt see a positionless team last year...i saw clearly defined roles and responsibilities...roles become crystallized at some point, imo

what is red;s plan for westry?

looking at the roster - i see him 100% as a forward and NOT a guard..as so many seem to assume

how could red be going with 3 forwards, and 5 guards...while also recruting more guards ???? wouldnt make sense

If Chance is healthy I’d imagine he’s starting at the 1.

While recovering from his Auburn injury, he was toe to toe with Judah in practice. He’s physical, is used to man, and can dominate defensively.

As others said, hes not a shoot first player. He’s a high IQ basketball player who’s good at keeping a defense off balance and in motion. I have no doubt our transition is in better hands with him. He’s not a selfish guard so he’ll help JJ out as well. Judah had JJ living on an island last year.

He can attack the rim but id consider JJ, Chris and Davis our primary scorers over him.

If Chance is healthy I’d imagine he’s starting at the 1.

While recovering from his Auburn injury, he was toe to toe with Judah in practice. He’s physical, is used to man, and can dominate defensively.

As others said, hes not a shoot first player. He’s a high IQ basketball player who’s good at keeping a defense off balance and in motion. I have no doubt our transition is in better hands with him. He’s not a selfish guard so he’ll help JJ out as well. Judah had JJ living on an island last year.

He can attack the rim but id consider JJ, Chris and Davis our primary scorers over him.
I'll give you 5 to 1 odds he doesn't.

Yup

That said if he’s healthy and playing solid minutes he will absolutely be someone who helps bring the ball up and initiate the offense even if he isn’t starting at the point while more importantly hounding the opponents best ball handler.

There is 0.0 chance that Chance is starting at point, even if healthy. Zero - zippo.

Folks….he hasn’t played in 2 years and he’s never played te position at the college level.

Could he end up getting minutes there this year, sure.

But Red is going with guys that have played the position.

There is 0.0 chance that Chance is starting at point, even if healthy. Zero - zippo.

Folks….he hasn’t played in 2 years and he’s never played te position at the college level.

So, looks like Trueblue25 is losing some cash.

im not asking about westry or what he is capable of

im curious about red's role for westry

i didnt see a positionless team last year...i saw clearly defined roles and responsibilities...roles become crystallized at some point, imo

what is red;s plan for westry?

looking at the roster - i see him 100% as a forward and NOT a guard..as so many seem to assume

how could red be going with 3 forwards, and 5 guards...while also recruting more guards ???? wouldnt make sense

Then ask that question.

Well I certainly hope the staff brings in another guard then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom