Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

An owie
1703996285845.gif

Anyone have any insight on Westry’s injury? I know the school doesn’t disclose but this one seems to be a real mystery.
Can someone enlighten me on what Autry said? I can't access the article.

Anyone have any insight on Westry’s injury? I know the school doesn’t disclose but this one seems to be a real mystery.
There have been reports, at least one from someone who should know, of a torn meniscus.

I think Red is prone to set expectations low, publicly so when he said no set timetable my sense is he was avoiding commiting to any outlook. Chance was moving well before the game yesterday. I would not be surprised if he starts practicing in the 8 days off between Duke and BC.

so if he starts thats at best 3-4 weeks from playing small role..

is the rule still like 33% of games for a RS? I know he was thought a potential 1 n done.. But given injuries you never know..

so if he starts thats at best 3-4 weeks from playing small role..

is the rule still like 33% of games for a RS? I know he was thought a potential 1 n done.. But given injuries you never know..

30% of games during the 1st half of the season. If you play after the halfway point, you're ineligible for the waiver.

If he plays, it'll count as his Soph year.

30% of games during the 1st half of the season. If you play after the halfway point, you're ineligible for the waiver.

He will play the last quarter of the season at best and come back next year

He’d almost be better off taking a medical redshirt this year. He played in 11 games last year at Auburn but it looks like he didn’t apply for a medical redshirt (or was ineligible based on number of games played).

He’d almost be better off taking a medical redshirt this year. He played in 11 games last year at Auburn but it looks like he didn’t apply for a medical redshirt (or was ineligible based on number of games played).
Played in one too many games to take the medical redshirt last year. After December 14 he played in 3 games, 1 minute in each game.

Save the redshirt. Unless people want Mintz and Jesse to not play 35+ per and make a change there’s no room.

He will play the last quarter of the season at best and come back next year
All things equal, he'd be better off just getting back in shape for next year.
Here's a guy that has missed two years with injuries. Why push it.

I think if you could just get him to practice for a month then you see what happens with him.

Would you play him in Feb/March if he meant the difference between making the NCAAs or the NIT?

He'll be here for 2024-25.

I'd be surprised if he was still here in 2025-26.

Does anybody think he'll still be playing college ball in 2026-27?

Would you play him in Feb/March if he meant the difference between making the NCAAs or the NIT?

Who knows? He has to be able to shoot better than he did last year if he wants to move on

I don't see Chance as a guy who is going to leave early for the NBA, never have.

I saw high-school Chance as an elite defender, a good ball handler, and a good passer, but a someone who would struggle to score on the college level. You don't see many guys with that profile getting drafted.

And now he's missed essentially 2 straight years of basketball with injuries. That's going to take some real work to come back from. I'm skeptical about his ability to contribute at all this year. If he can be a role player who contributes next year I'd be happy. The jump from that to a pro the year after certainly isn't impossible, but it feels like setting the bar really high to me.

I don't see Chance as a guy who is going to leave early for the NBA, never have.

I saw high-school Chance as an elite defender, a good ball handler, and a good passer, but a someone who would struggle to score on the college level. You don't see many guys with that profile getting drafted.

And now he's missed essentially 2 straight years of basketball with injuries. That's going to take some real work to come back from. I'm skeptical about his ability to contribute at all this year. If he can be a role player who contributes next year I'd be happy. The jump from that to a pro the year after certainly isn't impossible, but it feels like setting the bar really high to me.
I want Chance to have an opportunity to play at Syracuse. I have followed him since his high school junior year. If not this year, hopefully he will play next year. I do not see him playing 4 years at Syracuse simply because he is already 21 years old. I was hoping for at least 2 full years of a healthy Chance Westry. Now I will settle for at least one good year (next year). I believe that JJ, Quadir and Chance (injury free permitting) will be a great nucleus of a good guard tandem. That does not even include Kyle Cuffe, Jr and the addition of Choppa Moore. I do not know of a Syracuse player who was 24 years old outside of Mike Gbinije and still contributed to the team. Could be wrong and Chance could play until he is 25 years old. Just feel if he plays good next year, he would go pro to some overseas league.

I really would like to see him play and show what he can do. I feel that he can be a spark to the team in the same way as Quadir except without the razzle-dazzle. I hope he gets the opportunity to play the way I believe he can play.

Last edited:
I think the whole "saving the redshirt" thing is no longer relevant in todays environment. If he's healthy play him. If he's not don't.
That's easy for you to say... What if Westry already is starting to worry that he won't be the same player after this injury?

If he "knows" he's not going to be a pro, the extra year of school means NIL money and education. He can still be a nice rotation piece here even if his top level athleticism is gone for good. Plenty of players have productive careers without going pro at the end.

His NIL money here is probably better than the salary most 25 year olds can earn, and a free masters degree doesn't hurt, either.

That's easy for you to say... What if Westry already is starting to worry that he won't be the same player after this injury?

If he "knows" he's not going to be a pro, the extra year of school means NIL money and education. He can still be a nice rotation piece here even if his top level athleticism is gone for good. Plenty of players have productive careers without going pro at the end.

His NIL money here is probably better than the salary most 25 year olds can earn, and a free masters degree doesn't hurt, either.
I don't disagree that what you're proposing may seem to be a mature decision that makes a degree of sense. But...
  • It would be rare for a player to have that degree of maturity to look 2+ years down the road at such a young age.
  • I'm a little uncomfortable with a scholarship/NIL athlete choosing not to compete so that they can extend their scholarship and NIL potential.
Who knows? NIL certainly changes a lot of things. But I'd have to think if he is healthy enough to stay on a D1 roster and make NIL money then he is likely healthy enough to play overseas where the money is a lot more than what a bench role player must make via NIL.

BTW...this is all uniformed conjecture on my behalf. I don't know anything but am hopeful that Chance will improve this team in some way when he steps on the court. Sooner rather than later. LGO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom