Changing Expectations | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Changing Expectations

If this isn’t his last year, then I’m not surprised he didn’t target this year as some magical turnaround season and instead an opportunity to build depth. Maybe he really did think these guys had the skill sets to support Jesse and Joe. Maybe he had the assts call around and see if any scoring forwards had interest in coming to cuse and they weren’t getting any traction with people. Or Maybe he is just an idiot who after 40 years has lost his edge. Who really knows.
You don’t rebuild with 5 freshman anymore, this isn’t Kentucky, you need to mix transfers with the r freshman, how many of these freshman do you think are going to be on the roster in 4 years? Next year?

I’m willing to bet that one guy out of this class stays 4 years, and that may be pushing it.

The ACC is 3 things:
1. Financial stability.
2. Lifeline for the football team.
3. Death to basketball recruiting.
4. It was a disaster for our basketball identity. It doesn’t matter because of 1 and 2

If we don’t make the tournament this season that will be the 5th time in 9 years.
We weren’t making the tournament as an at-large in 2020 so technically it would be 4th in 8 years but I am counting that season.

The fanbase is frustrated and rightfully so.
The Board of Trustees should have absolutely nothing to do with non-legal coaching matters in the athletic department.
If the coach hasn’t broken the law or NCAA violations coaching decisions should be made by the athletic director.
The AD needs to step up. Coach has done a lot and that loyalty has been returned. The fans shouldn’t be forced to have to stay home to voice displeasure.
If coaches worked for minimum wage instead of millions of dollars, the BOT wouldn't be involved. SU is no different than any school when it comes to the BOT being involved in budget matters like this.

If coaches worked for minimum wage instead of millions of dollars, the BOT wouldn't be involved. SU is no different than any school when it comes to the BOT being involved in budget matters like this.
The BOT at other schools are involved in the decision on who should remain HC in major sports? If that is so what is the AD paid a high salary for?
The BOT doesn’t need to be involved in coaching matters unless it’s approving a contract extension or deciding if a coach broke the law

The BOT at other schools are involved in the decision on who should remain HC in major sports? If that is so what is the AD paid a high salary for?
The BOT doesn’t need to be involved in coaching matters unless it’s approving a contract extension or deciding if a coach broke the law
They're involved in major budgetary decisions.

They're involved in major budgetary decisions.
That is fair but they shouldn’t be involved in coaching decisions beyond saying we can afford this amount regarding buyouts and hirings.
I don’t want our BOT saying coach anonymous is remaining HC or stuff like that or using influence to keep a coach for non budgetary reasons

When we lost to BC in 2013, I was devastated. Now I don’t even bat an eye when we lose by double digits.
Yup. Now, it’s just something to watch. If we aren’t playing well, I’ll switch over to Hulu or Netflix, and check in on my phone from time to time.

The ACC recruiting gripe is a false narrative.

We've been playing in a world where everyone cheats. We've had a coach get caught cheating twice. We no longer cheat. We have regressed. Schools like Arizona, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Baylor, etc. (you know, cheaters) have improved...

But I'm sure its because of the move to the ACC. :rolleyes:

We have a coach who doesn't recruit as hard as he used to. We have assistant coaches who have never filled the Hop void. We have the uncertainty of when Jim is going to retire and who the next coach will be. Basically we have alot of negatives. Add in a zone D that doesn't prepare kids for the NBA, not making the tournament, a losing record, limited TV exposure and we are not going to land any top talent. 2nd tier maybe but certainly not the top kids. We aren't even in the discussions with these kids.

We have a coach who doesn't recruit as hard as he used to. We have assistant coaches who have never filled the Hop void. We have the uncertainty of when Jim is going to retire and who the next coach will be. Basically we have alot of negatives. Add in a zone D that doesn't prepare kids for the NBA, not making the tournament, a losing record, limited TV exposure and we are not going to land any top talent. 2nd tier maybe but certainly not the top kids. We aren't even in the discussions with these kids.
But it's all because of the ACC ;)

To slightly change the subject, what is with JB in his last two post-game press conferences? A total change of demeanor and attitude. I've been watching his PG pressers for decades and I've never seen him act as humble, relaxed, and actually likable. Nothing but kind words for the players. Something is up.
I'm picking up on that too. The last two press conferences have been among the most light-hearted in his career. Makes me wonder if he just recently decided to retire after this year, and he's getting sentimental. The timing would make sense because it's pretty much settled we won't have 2023 recruits. If he had recruits, he might feel obligated to coach them to avoid losing them. I think he went into the season thinking he would coach this group next year too, and maybe the lack of recruits changed that and made the timing right for him. What better time to retire than after a season where you have no one new coming in.

Yup. Now, it’s just something to watch. If we aren’t playing well, I’ll switch over to Hulu or Netflix, and check in on my phone from time to time.
This, right here, sums up my involvement. I ended up watching the news and Netflix and occasionally checking the score of the UVA game. Sadly, this has become the norm.

I'm picking up on that too. The last two press conferences have been among the most light-hearted in his career. Makes me wonder if he just recently decided to retire after this year, and he's getting sentimental. The timing would make sense because it's pretty much settled we won't have 2023 recruits. If he had recruits, he might feel obligated to coach them to avoid losing them. I think he went into the season thinking he would coach this group next year too, and maybe the lack of recruits changed that and made the timing right for him. What better time to retire than after a season where you have no one new coming in.
He's also been very complimentary of his young players, including Chris and Benny (who he's historically been rough on). Could be trying to ensure they don't transfer if he leaves, which would ruin the rebuild. We'll see if he continues on that way.

Look, some of this is obvious. JB is 78.

Now look at the women’s program. Flat on its face. Good hire, 3 or 4 transfers, and they are winning. Not top of the league, but promising.

The ACC is 3 things:
1. Financial stability.
2. Lifeline for the football team.
3. Death to basketball recruiting.
The foresight to have a $120m buyout is the only thing saving the ACC right now, and even that might not be enough to keep Clemson or Florida State from seriously considering an SEC offer. The Pac 12 is dead in the water, and the ACC never will be a football threat to the SEC. It's next in line to be picked apart.The league has a decade to figure it out and the northern ACC schools all are on the outside looking in.

Ultimately there will be 3 (possibly 4) major conferences with perhaps 20 member schools. As long as the $$ are there to support that business model nothing will stop it short of government legislation.

Buddy Boeheim being good enough to be a good player for SU is weirdly what screwed us, big picture wise.

If JB left after the disappointment of ‘17 or the underdog sweet 16 run in ‘18, we still would’ve had some stature as a program to salvage and maintain. At that point we were a good program coming off a down 4 year stretch that still included a final four and sweet 16. Hire the right guy and we’re rolling right now.

Once Buddy got here, we were locked into 4 more years and now we’re talking 8 down years. Almost a decade. Now we’re just a nonfactor program that was good a long time ago.

Had to give you a sad face because you are right. "Dad coaching" seldom works and it extended the downward slide.
I'm happy for JB that he got to coach his son but I wish he would have left with Buddy.
If it's true that he has handed over recruiting and practices to the assistants then they are equally responsible for the downward slide.

If we don’t make the tournament this season that will be the 5th time in 9 years.
We weren’t making the tournament as an at-large in 2020 so technically it would be 4th in 8 years but I am counting that season.

The fanbase is frustrated and rightfully so.
The Board of Trustees should have absolutely nothing to do with non-legal coaching matters in the athletic department.
If the coach hasn’t broken the law or NCAA violations coaching decisions should be made by the athletic director.
The AD needs to step up. Coach has done a lot and that loyalty has been returned. The fans shouldn’t be forced to have to stay home to voice displeasure.

Unfortunately, I've lowered my expectations considerably of ADJW and his duties as it relates to arguably his most critical one, specifically that being the hiring manager of a P5 athletic department/program.

I honestly have a difficult time believing that JW can be objective in regards to JB. Long before he was a superior of JB's, he was a huge fanboy of his and the program, etc. That is extremely problematic relative to one being in a position of clear and objective judgement and decision making. IMO, nothing was more telling of this than his "equity" comments a year or so ago. My interpretation of this really wasn't that much different than Buzz's infamous, "get a life" remarks...except for the angle chosen along with sounding much more tactful in doing so.

What better time to retire than after a season where you have no one new coming in.
That's been my thought.
No new recruits to have to tell you may be gone.
Presumably the current guys have a sense that may happen.
The replacement has a few good players but basically a clean slate and can build from scatch.

What were the expectations this year? This is a serious question because the basketball forum is filled with anger.

I saw the roster this year and knew nothing of note would be accomplished this season. What I wanted to see was the youth develop so that they could take a step towards next season where they'd be able to be competitive on a nightly basis. Unfortunately many of them haven't and some look like they're not ready to play at this level which is another topic for another thread. Mind you, that's not a Syracuse only problem.
It kind of is a "Syracuse only" problem. They were one of the winningest programs in the history of college basketball but over the past decade they have fallen into the "also-rans" category. It's hard to find another program that has fallen as far as they have. It all starts and ends with the man in charge. Programs in that tier like UCLA, Kentucky, UNC, Duke etc have continued to have overall success while Syracuse has fallen hard. Meanwhile, programs like Gonzaga, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston etc have found ways to join the national conversation.
The expectations at SU have fallen to "hey, maybe we'll be in Joe Lunardi's bubble conversation". It's really bad.

What were the expectations this year? This is a serious question because the basketball forum is filled with anger.

I saw the roster this year and knew nothing of note would be accomplished this season. What I wanted to see was the youth develop so that they could take a step towards next season where they'd be able to be competitive on a nightly basis. Unfortunately many of them haven't and some look like they're not ready to play at this level which is another topic for another thread. Mind you, that's not a Syracuse only problem.
I think the proper term I would use is TIRED. I'm just tired of turning on the game and watching 5 dudes stand in a zone with no intensity whatsoever.

I can only speak for myself, but as far as this year, results wise, I'm not angry at all. This is what I expected
and as far as the rotations, coaching decisions etc, I just enjoy discussing Cuse hoops, its not anger. at least on my end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom