"chemistry" | Syracusefan.com

"chemistry"

Jack Hall

All Conference
i apologize if this has been covered but havent been on here in awhile because if the players and coaches dont care much, why should the fans? but my question: is this bizarre non conference start more of the players not getting along with each other or the players not getting along with the coaches?ive seen some signs of both. theres got to be some good anecdotal stories by now but not sure they ll make it to this board. hope it gets turned around at some point. Go Cuse

i apologize if this has been covered but havent been on here in awhile because if the players and coaches dont care much, why should the fans? but my question: is this bizarre non conference start more of the players not getting along with each other or the players not getting along with the coaches?ive seen some signs of both. theres got to be some good anecdotal stories by now but not sure they ll make it to this board. hope it gets turned around at some point. Go Cuse
It's a lot more synergy that anything else. The sum of our parts doesn't make us better.

It's a lot more synergy that anything else. The sum of our parts doesn't make us better.
imo that only tells a small part of the story. That might explain us being ~ 8-3 so far, theres more going on here. maybe someday JB will write about it in his memoirs lol

"deshaun williams and preston shumpert"

howard battle lydon thompson roberson start. coleman gillon white and autry off bench. i think the grad transfers have had a disruptive effect, especially white who all about white. i don't blame him either. he is trying to improve his stock. he is not invested in the team. he has no intrinsic desire for syracuse or promoting chemistry. i suspect that there are locker room issues as well.
i would go with the guys i recruited and jb needs to encourage them. especially roberson. jb needs show confidence and loyalty to these guys, as well as coleman.
i know he is not the "nurturing" kind of coach, but enough is enough. he(we) have nothing to lose at this point----so i would rather do it with them

Howard, Battle, Lydon, Thompson and Roberson start.
There are lot on here that will disagree with this, but I've been wanting that lineup for a while now. Furthermore, lengthen the leash a little before jacking a player so they can develop some confidence. Just my humble opinions. Worth a try given our current circumstances.

Grad transfers, chemistry, synergy, locker room discord, JB's lack of warmth --- a bunch of nebulous theories?

Putting aside what the grad transfers bring as our leading scorer and #3 scorer, who among the others is playing up to expectations? Pre-season expectations of Howard & Battle in the backcourt were high -- neither has played at that level, and the guard play with those two has been disappointing. Roberson's stats are about the same level as last season, adjusted for his loss of minutes to Thompson. Coleman has fully met expectations, but he can't elevate to finish and has obvious limitations on defense. Lydon has had 2 or 3 good games, but he wasn't effective trying to play SF. He is adjusting to his new role as a leader. Our two better inside players (Lydon & Thompson) are a soph & frosh. Thompson might be the one player who is exceeding expectations.

I don't see the value of chemistry theories in explaining what we have with this team. The guard play from Howard & Battle needs to get better, and our two young inside players need to get better. It is not the fault of Gillon and White that these 4 home-grown recruits aren't yet playing as well as they need to play for this team to be successful.

Gotta wonder how much time JB and the staff have spent working through this while the players are home for Christmas. Will there be any changes for the Cornell game? Sadly, one change could be to put Coleman on the bench and put Lydon at the five and Roberson at the four and do whatever is necessary to bolster Robie's confidence. If he plays like a man possessed then we have something to work with.

as a last resort of course. is that all you got from the post????

Once I saw that I really couldn't take much else said seriously.

That isn't a last resort, and if it did ever get to that point whomever is in charge should be fired.

It's like if I replaced my secretary with a golden retriever and expected it to do anything.

Once I saw that I really couldn't take much else said seriously.

That isn't a last resort, and if it did ever get to that point whomever is in charge should be fired.

It's like if I replaced my secretary with a golden retriever and expected it to do anything.
glad to see you are open minded. that is a great analogy. i feel bad for your secretary, worse for the golden retriever who replaces him or her.

glad to see you are open minded. that is a great analogy. i feel bad for your secretary, worse for the golden retriever who replaces him or her.

I'm comfortable with my statement, more comfortable with my statement than I am with Autry being a part of the rotation no matter what our situation is.

The grad transfer experiment is not going well. It's hard to get into a player's mind but I would guess the arrival of Gillon and White negatively impacted Howard and Roberson to some degree. Howard seems to be the type to misplace his anger. He's a competitor and doesn't shy away from a challenge but I have to wonder if he saw Gillon as a threat and instead of channeling his anger (for lack of a better word) to play better, he's directing it elsewhere or pushing too much on the court. Roberson seems content to concede that he's the 4th best forward on the team and his outwardly mild personality is contributing to that. He responded to being challenged by coach last year, but he maybe just reached a tipping point where he feels happier disconnecting himself from the situation.

The team could have a 'come to Jesus' meeting and turn things around, but that better happen soon or it probably won't happen at all.

This is, of course, all conjecture and I could be 1,000,000% wrong.

Or maybe somebody is just sleeping with somebody's girlfriend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom