Chris Bell looks to be coming back | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell looks to be coming back

new coach, new direction? Has JAB ever been big on strength over beanpoles? I'm sure he was OK if guys wanted to get ripped on their own, but I don't think it was a point of emphasis like at other programs.
Fair, but I’m not holding out hope. Chris doesn’t look like the type who can easily put on weight.

Not necessarily disputing this, but why would he do that? If the response is because the player wasn't a good fit for the zone, I will reject that. It's not like the assistants didn't know the guys they recommended would have to play zone. I find it hard to believe they would repeatedly bring forward players who they knew wouldn't be able to play the system their head coach and mentor was world famous for.
Believe RF and others have stated that JB may have nixed guys who fit the system but raised flags due to behavior or neediness. See Dior ending up At Pitt.

Last edited:
The highlighted section is exactly what happened under JB. He's nixed dozens of players this group of AC's brought to him in recent years.

Look -- Bell has value. But he is also one-dimensional. That's been the book on him at the high school level, and we saw evidence of it last year in how he played.

I remember people on the forum getting agitated when I characterized Bell as a non-rebounder after he committed here, insisting that it would change once JB got on him. And here we are having the same conversations again, a year later. He is what he is.

I'm not defending Bell as much as the process. I've seen so many freshman (DNic) for example, who didn't belong on a Syracuse court but it took a few years to develop. Even Benny might be starting to come around and he'll be a junior.

What I like about Bell is that he has the skills you can't teach. Shooting, size, athletic ability. I hate when kids show up and people are like - they'll fix his shot. No they won't.

Bells issues seem to be desire and effort over talent. He has a lot of ability that you can't teach. Whether it clicks between his ears remains to be seen.

I'm not defending Bell as much as the process. I've seen so many freshman (DNic) for example, who didn't belong on a Syracuse court but it took a few years to develop. Even Benny might be starting to come around and he'll be a junior.

What I like about Bell is that he has the skills you can't teach. Shooting, size, athletic ability. I hate when kids show up and people are like - they'll fix his shot. No they won't.

Bells issues seem to be desire and effort over talent. He has a lot of ability that you can't teach. Whether it clicks between his ears remains to be seen.
I keep saying it, but to me he looks like a guy that has done a million shooting drills, but never played pick up at the park.

If he stays I trust its because the new staff sees a role for him. Otherwise I imagine they'd let him know that he's not in their plans.

Maybe he can fill the role I wish JG could have filled the past 4 years. That being a microwave gunner option off the bench. He's either on and gets minutes, or is off and sits.
Yeah, that can be a great role. Even can project to the pro level for a shooter of his height and release point.

Bell would be great if basketball was just a Pop-a-Shot game.

So would I!!!

I was lethal at Pop A Shot, back in the early 90’s.

Alternated shooting with each hand to speed things up.

I imagine that’s kinda how it feels with a real basketball when you’ve got mitts the size of guys like Jordan and Melo.

The highlighted section is exactly what happened under JB. He's nixed dozens of players this group of AC's brought to him in recent years.

Look -- Bell has value. But he is also one-dimensional. That's been the book on him at the high school level, and we saw evidence of it last year in how he played.

I remember people on the forum getting agitated when I characterized Bell as a non-rebounder after he committed here, insisting that it would change once JB got on him. And here we are having the same conversations again, a year later. He is what he is.

We need players like bell to become a contender he’s an excellent shooter. Consider Southerland how raw he was and eventually he was one of our best players

We need players like bell to become a contender he’s an excellent shooter. Consider Southerland how raw he was and eventually he was one of our best players

Southerland is the best comparison for Bell. But we have a new coach now who's going to play a different system. I don't think the new approach will accommodate players who can only do one thing, and not contribute in other important facets of the game.

Southerland is the best comparison for Bell. But we have a new coach now who's going to play a different system. I don't think the new approach will accommodate players who can only do one thing, and not contribute in other important facets of the game.

Also if Benny comes back and he is as good of a marksman from deep as he showed late this year... that could impact Bell quite a bit given Benny can do other things along with being a plus athlete.

talk about one thing we lack ? james Southerland was the best baseline inbounder we've ever had.

Also if Benny comes back and he is as good of a marksman from deep as he showed late this year... that could impact Bell quite a bit given Benny can do other things along with being a plus athlete.
Benny is too inconvenient

Benny is too inconvenient
A player with Williams's measurables who can also hit 5/6 three pointers even once in a season is potentially a very valuable player.

I think we just might have gotten through his growing pains. It would be a shame to have him go somewhere else and finally realize the immense potential.

A player with Williams's measurables who can also hit 5/6 three pointers even once in a season is potentially a very valuable player.

I think we just might have gotten through his growing pains. It would be a shame to have him go somewhere else and finally realize the immense potential.
Also, he was obviously confused by the zone. he frequently would be running around in circles.

Maybe he can D someone up, we'll see.

Never say never but considering how “early” our season ended I feel like there’d be more rumblings / entries already. Naive to think no one’s leaving but feels night and day from 2-3 weeks ago where it felt like the entire roster was a question mark.

Bell is very much like Cooney; they are excellent if their feet are set and their body is not moving, they are poor otherwise. One nice thing about Bell's shot is that he gets it off very quickly.

Bell is very much like Cooney; they are excellent if their feet are set and their body is not moving, they are poor otherwise. One nice thing about Bell's shot is that he gets it off very quickly.

Cooney often shot it well coming off a hard screen...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom