Chris Bell looks to be coming back | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Bell looks to be coming back

Agreed, love Brown but that is a position you should upgrade. Brown can be a good bench player but if he is playing 30+ (without a shot outside of 3 feet) we are very, very limited offensively. He would be a great 6th or 7th man.
Are we sure he is limited in his jumper? I feel JB only wanted certain players to shoot. Brown and Jesse were to get their points in the paint. I could see Jesse come back if he is allowed to show a 15 to 20 foot jumper along with his post moves. Would increase his nba stock.

Happy to keep Bell. How his career looks is up to him. He’s gotta add a little weight but really focus on conditioning and strengthening where it matters (core and upper legs). He has the scoring talent.

Fully expect for red to try and upgrade the position as well.

Are we sure he is limited in his jumper? I feel JB only wanted certain players to shoot. Brown and Jesse were to get their points in the paint. I could see Jesse come back if he is allowed to show a 15 to 20 foot jumper along with his post moves. Would increase his nba stock.
Brown shot about 56% from the line, I don't know if he'd become a better shooter. He's great, IMO, at being a garbage man and passing out of the post. His defense is solid and is active. But shooting is a limitation.

Jesse has a better jump shot, but he's not particularly quick with it.

I'm good with neither of them attempting shots outside of 10 feet.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say you will see a new Benny with a new coach mentoring him. I think before it was an oil and water thing. Benny needs a little tlc, that is all.

Hope so but it is the same coaches.

I also know it's hard for the board to acknowledge young players get better with age and experience. That's something that Benny (and Bell and Brown and...) will do, they'll just get better as upperclassmen.

If Jesse stays, we clearly have to upgrade one of the forward spots. In my mind, everything else is just a matter of who is willing to stick around to be part of an exciting winning team. A lot of individual decisions still to be made, but I am super optimistic. LGO!

Hope so but it is the same coaches.

I also know it's hard for the board to acknowledge young players get better with age and experience. That's something that Benny (and Bell and Brown and...) will do, they'll just get better as upperclassmen.
Same coaches, different program. It will be different.

I can see us going small with JJ, Mintz, Benny, Bell, and Brown if Edwards is gone. May swap Bell and/or Benny with Copeland and Justin.

I'm sorry that the reality of his skill sets don't jive with your comfort level with respect to discussing said limitations.

At least let's be intellectually honest about his capabilities.
This program was built on the backs of players with "limitations". Cohen. Kerins. Triche. Bruin. Rautins. Hawkins. Waldren. Monroe. Seikaly. None of them killed it as Freshman. I'll stop before I get to the 90's. The list is just as long.

I'm 53. Yesterday was the first day in my life that someone asked me to be intellectually honest.

I agree and Jesse has not missed a 3 point shot in his 4 years here.

I can see us going small with JJ, Mintz, Benny, Bell, and Brown if Edwards is gone. May swap Bell and/or Benny with Copeland and Justin.
There’s no way we don’t add an impact center if Jesse leaves. Not saying that we also can’t go small at times, but there’s literally no way enter the season with Hima/Carey/Patterson. No way Red let’s that happen

There’s no way we don’t add an impact center if Jesse leaves. Not saying that we also can’t go small at times, but there’s literally no way enter the season with Hima/Carey/Patterson. No way Red let’s that happen
Oh, I agree 100%. I should have prefaced "at times" even if Jesse stays or another immediate impact center portals in. Going small and fast with two elite guards and three athletic "forwards" would be fun to watch and hard to guard.

This program was built on the backs of players with "limitations". Cohen. Kerins. Triche. Bruin. Rautins. Hawkins. Waldren. Monroe. Seikaly. None of them killed it as Freshman. I'll stop before I get to the 90's. The list is just as long.

I'm 53. Yesterday was the first day in my life that someone asked me to be intellectually honest.

Well then try to be. Do you think that Chris Bell's game in any way resembles someone who did everything well like Billy Owens? Or any of the more versatile players we've run at of the three over the years?

Because that's what my post was about, him being one-dimensional and non-versatile, not a blanket criticism as you've inferred.

And let's dispense with this "he's a freshman" nonsense. You must have missed all the games he had zero or one rebound. He's also not going to wrack up assists, create off the bounce for himself or his teammates, or excel on the defensive end.

None of that is going to magically change when he's a sophomore. The kid epitomizes being one-dimensional -- comical to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:
Well then try to be. Do you think that Chris Bell's game in any way resembles someone who did everything well like Billy Owens? Or any of the more versatile players we've run at of the three over the years?

Because that's what my post was about, him being one-dimensional and non-versatile, not a blanket criticism as you've inferred.

And let's dispense with this "he's a freshman" nonsense. You must have missed all the games he had zero or one rebound. He's also not going to wrack up assists, create off the bounce for himself or his teammates, or excel on the defensive end.

None of that is going to magically change when he's a sophomore. The kid epitomizes being one-dimensional -- comical to suggest otherwise.
No. I have never compared his game to Billy Owens. I'm not naive enough to think that we will ever see a talent like Billy Owens again at the college level.

Time will tell. I'd like to give him another year or 2.

I'm sincerely happy that your collegiate experience as both a DI player and coach have made you the smartest person in the room.

No. I have never compared his game to Billy Owens. I'm not naive enough to think that we will ever see a talent like Billy Owens again at the college level.

Time will tell. I'd like to give him another year or 2.

I'm sincerely happy that your collegiate experience as both a DI player and coach have made you the smartest person in the room.

At least I'm smart enough to acknowledge what should be plainly evident to anybody who watched Chris Bell play last season.

I mean -- my god -- how is it remotely controversial to point out that Bell is one-dimensional? Let alone to warrant your goofy original overreaction to suggesting as much?

I didn't claim that he wasn't a good athlete, or a good shooter, or that he didn't demonstrate some hustle. But the way he plays -- with his ball-handling, rebounding, and defensive limitations -- are the epitome of non-versatility. Often times, if he wasn't hitting shots, then he wasn't contributing much else when he was out there.

There was literally a game 3/4 of the way through the season when he got 3 or 4 rebounds in the first half, and the announcers were laughing about him setting his "career high." And this was after he'd started just about every game up to that point.

If those objective observations give you the vapors and makes you exclaim "holy hell," then I think the disconnect is a bridge too far to worry about.

Last edited:
At least I'm smart enough to acknowledge what should be plainly evident to anybody who watched Chris Bell play last season.

I mean -- my god -- how is it remotely controversial to point out that Bell is one-dimensional? Let alone to warrant your goofy original overreaction to suggesting as much?

I didn't claim that he wasn't a good athlete, or a good shooter, or that he didn't demonstrate some hustle. But the way he plays -- with his ball-handling, rebounding, and defensive limitations -- are the epitome of being non-versatile.

If that "scathing" analysis is what keeps you away from the board, and makes you exclaim "holy hell," then this is probably not a discussion that's worth continuing.
Scathing is your word, not mine. All I've said is don't give up on the kid.

What network will you be on this weekend? Intellectually honest minds are dying to know.

Scathing is your word, not mine. All I've said is don't give up on the kid.

What network will you be on this weekend? Intellectually honest minds are dying to know.

Are you going to ask me if I'm 5-7 next?

For the record, I didn't say I was giving up on him, either -- just that I wonder if his indisputable one-dimensionality is a fit for what Autry will prefer in recruits going forward.

If that type of objectivity makes you avoid the board and stoop to personal attacks, that's on you.

I expect to see a completely different type of offensive game plan from our new HC, and I don't believe [time will tell, this is my opinion only] that he is going to target guys who can only do one thing. I expect that Red will prefer forwards who are more like Mutts from VT than guys like Bell, who don't rebound or handle the ball.

That doesn't imply that shooters like Bell won't have value, just that a guy who can ONLY shoot might not be as good of a fit for our new system, or be the type of player that the coaching staff targets going forward.

It's also possible that Bell doesn't opt to return. Before that gets misconstrued as a prediction -- it's not. Just pointing out that it's a possibility.

We've already had three players leave, I think we could see two more cast their line in the water in upcoming weeks, as the new staff looks to upgrade the talent on the roster. Would a kid like Bell [or Taylor, for that matter] want to return if we add a starting caliber forward via the portal, who could relegate him to a bench role? Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Are you going to ask me if I'm 5-7 next?

For the record, I didn't say I was giving up on him, either -- just that I wonder if his indisputable one-dimensionality is a fit for the type of players Autry wants going forward.

If that type of stupidity makes you avoid the board, that's on you.
Fixed.

Stupidity?

If you don't recognize or can't acknowledge Bell's quite obvious limitations, it's similarly obvious that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
I think "Fixed." might mean you're on Ignore. Just a hunch.

I think "Fixed." might mean you're on Ignore. Just a hunch.

If that what it takes to dispense with the straw man BS -- cool.

We've already had three players leave, I think we could see two more cast their line in the water in upcoming weeks, as the new staff looks to upgrade the talent on the roster. Would a kid like Bell [or Taylor, for that matter] want to return if we add a starting caliber forward via the portal, who could relegate him to a bench role? Stay tuned.

Exactly which 3 are you talking about?

Cooney hustled on D.
Only came here to post this screenshot of Cooney in action
Screenshot_20230315-003533_YouTube.jpg

If that what it takes to dispense with the straw man BS -- cool.
While the substance of your comments is fair, honestly you should save the vitriol for those that bitch and whine about everything and everyone rather than those who offer a more optimistic take once in a while. He is right that this board is largely intolerable bc of all the piss and vinegar and that was true long before the descent to the bottom last 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom