Class of 2014 - Chris mccullough | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Chris mccullough

McCullough, in the all-star game I saw him at, was very passive and disinterested. I chalked it up to it being an all-star game.

Disappointed to hear he does it in high school games too. That lack of effort and passiveness will not do him any favors at SU.

I think it's his personality. They're going to need to light a fire under him. A lot of untapped potential. At the same time, I was looking for a little bit an outside game today and I got neither outside or an inside game.

Sounds quite a bit like Christmas. And we know he has been in JB's doghouse for 3 yrs. McCullough needs to channel his inner beast.

Sounds quite a bit like Christmas. And we know he has been in JB's doghouse for 3 yrs. McCullough needs to channel his inner beast.
JB has already spoiled McCullough with plenty of praise. Told him last spring that he was his best recruit since Melo and that he's a one n done. McCullough is the type of kid that needs motivation and a kick in the behind, not constant praise telling him how good he is. The talent and abilities are off the charts, but lets hope the focus and desire is there when he plays at SU game in and game out. Personally I think he was disappointed that he couldn't reclassify into this season and is just flat out bored playing HS ball.

I'll be shocked if he's a one and done. I just don't see the skill set.

cuseguy said:
I was there.

Decided to try to catch the semi this afternoon because I wasn't confident IMG would make the final tonight.

Good call.

McCullough didn't do much. That's true.

He didn't start the game the - came in with just 14 minutes to go in the half - and I have no idea why. Disciplinary? Trying to rest players after a 3 OT win last night?

Truthfully, IMG plays just as well - at least today - without McCullough.

He had eight points, one rebound, one assist (my numbers) in about 22 minutes.

He air balled a few shots, a baseline jumper and a short hook, and missed an easy breakaway layup.

He appeared to have another easy breakaway dunk in sight but a St. Thomas More guard knocked the ball away as McCullough was nearing the lane.

All in all, McCullough left 8-10 points on the floor. Sound familiar?

He no doubt passes the look test. He's stronger than when I saw him a year ago. But he's still passive and doesn't look to take control like I thought he would this year. Twice he tried to drive and was called for a charge.

He doesn't set up in the block and demand the ball the way a power forward should. He doesn't position himself well to get rebounds. It's almost as if he can't decide whether he's a power or a small forward, but he lacks the true skills to be good at either. He doesn't possess a mid range or three point game. His free throw shooting form looks fine (he was 2-4 from the line) but it doesn't seem like he gets to the line enough to make a difference there.

He really had a chance to make a difference in the game but he missed an easy breakaway layup with his team down 4 with just over 2 minutes left. IMG lost, BTW.

I thought the best player on the floor was St. Thomas More swingman and Fordham recruit Eric Paschall, who finished with 25 points, including two huge 3s late in the game. Remember him if we play Fordham again down the road. He's one of those kind of recruits that will make you say, "Why can't we get players like that?"

Again, McCullough will look great getting off the bus. He's a tremendous athlete in the mold of other long SU recruits.

You'll just need to temper your expectations. He's not going to be star right away. He's going to be around a few years. At least.

The greater concern, I think, is where do we get our points next year at forward if Grant leaves? Roberson? Johnson? McCullough? It's going to be a big drop off from Fair.

Wish I was the bearer of better news.

Are you basing all your comments on seeing him in this one game? Or have you seen him play several times this year?

cuseguy said:

I'm surprised JB called him his best recruit since Melo. I don't even think he's the best player at IMG, and he's certainly not the best player at his previous school, Brewster, which won the National Prep Championship.

Honestly I see the skills, I see the chip...he just needs better competition.

thebigeast44 said:
Are you basing all your comments on seeing him in this one game? Or have you seen him play several times this year?

I've seen him play in person twice. I've seen numerous highlights, which are pretty useless. I wasn't impressed either time I've seen him. He took one jump shot yesterday and it was an air ball. I don't think he's comfortable shooting with someone guarding him. He doesn't appear to have a back to the basket game. He doesn't look like he enjoys playing defense. He's not a great rebounder. He doesn't play with any fire.

That said, he's an impressive looking athlete.

Think Christmas.

I agree I think he does have the skill set to be one and done, like many have said he probably needs a fire lit under him, and hopefully that will happen when he gets here. Also I know he had an off night but on Tuesday he went for 26 so I'm hoping this was an off night.

Trueblue25 said:
Honestly I see the skills, I see the chip...he just needs better competition.

But he should be dominating lesser competition. I don't see it as a matter of being bored. If it is, we may a problem.

JB has already spoiled McCullough with plenty of praise. Told him last spring that he was his best recruit since Melo and that he's a one n done. McCullough is the type of kid that needs motivation and a kick in the behind, not constant praise telling him how good he is. The talent and abilities are off the charts, but lets hope the focus and desire is there when he plays at SU game in and game out. Personally I think he was disappointed that he couldn't reclassify into this season and is just flat out bored playing HS ball.
Did he also promise him he'd start like he did with Fab, Rak & DC?

cuseguy said:
I've seen him play in person twice. I've seen numerous highlights, which are pretty useless. I wasn't impressed either time I've seen him. He took one jump shot yesterday and it was an air ball. I don't think he's comfortable shooting with someone guarding him. He doesn't appear to have a back to the basket game. He doesn't look like he enjoys playing defense. He's not a great rebounder. He doesn't play with any fire.

That said, he's an impressive looking athlete.

Think Christmas.

To be honest then cuseguy, I have to take your comments with a big grain of salt. Seeing him twice (was it once last year and this last time when he barely played? ) does not tell you much about a player. No offense intended of course - glad you made your comments. We'll see next year what he's made of.

Well, I saw Joseph play earlier this year and I was very impressed. But you can take that with a grain of salt.

Did he also promise him he'd start like he did with Fab, Rak & DC?
Not sure but JB isn't telling a top recruit that he's a one n done to come in and play Tyler Roberson like minutes next season. With his stock taking a huge tumble overall, I fully expect McCullough to be very motivated next year to prove the doubters wrong.

Weren't you the one yesterday saying that he's better than Grant? Grants a projected first rounder.

I saw MCW play against michigan in the final four and I thought he would never play in the nba... Ever. ;)

cusetown1 said:
Weren't you the one yesterday saying that he's better than Grant? Grants a projected first rounder.

Believed he was better than Grant based on the hype and ranking. He's not. Not yet.

But he should be dominating lesser competition. I don't see it as a matter of being bored. If it is, we may a problem.
As long as he doesn't come into camp playing like DC2 he ail be just fine. Maybe DC2 comes back healthy and a desire to show why he was rated at 5 starsAnything he can contribute would be welcome compared to what he has so far contributed which up to now has been "nothing".

DCII's been hampered by injuries and the lack of a bigs coach. We ought to stop using him as the standard of disappointment, the kids been a great teammate and hasn't caused our teams major problems like Fab did.

DCII's been hampered by injuries and the lack of a bigs coach. We ought to stop using him as the standard of disappointment, the kids been a great teammate and hasn't caused our teams major problems like Fab did.
Sorry, but I can't agree. I thought DC2 was going to be a Super AO. Yes, obviously, my expectations were too high, but the kid seemed to have all the potential in the world. Frankly, his big problem is that he doesn't run the court well. He should be in much better condition & I can't help but think the lack of conditioning is related to the injuries.

All of that being said, he is far from a lost cause. If he could get himself into really good shape he could still be similar to AO, except it would be likely to be AO Light instead of Super AO at this stage of the game.

If Grant leaves, then McCullough and Roberson will get lots of reps. They will learn JB's system and build the needed confidence from their opportunity to start and/or play regularly. Of course, this is not withstanding some verbal assaults and stare downs from JB from time to time. So, CM despite whatever he's done in high school this season will be fresh and ready to rumble next year, let's hope.

Sorry, but I can't agree. I thought DC2 was going to be a Super AO. Yes, obviously, my expectations were too high, but the kid seemed to have all the potential in the world. Frankly, his big problem is that he doesn't run the court well. He should be in much better condition & I can't help but think the lack of conditioning is related to the injuries.

All of that being said, he is far from a lost cause. If he could get himself into really good shape he could still be similar to AO, except it would be likely to be AO Light instead of Super AO at this stage of the game.
I don't think running the court is his problem at all. I bet if he and Arinze had a footrace Coleman would win. His problem is he hasn't developed his post game, and doesn't know how to use his bulk. Arinze developed that nice little jump hook with either hand - Coleman needs something like that.

Like you I also clearly overrated Coleman - I thought he looked like a young Sean May in highlights. But, as you say he is far from a lost cause - after two years at SU Arinze had scored a total of 58 points...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom