Clemson ticket sales at the moment. | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson ticket sales at the moment.

The alternative is, esp in the Big East days, is the payout wasn't worth it for the super big schools to go to Cuse.

I think the issue is scheduled big game at Giants Stadium verses middle of the pack BCSer in the Dome. For my money I'd prefer the latter. But that's a lot different than moved.

I agree, I am already upset about next year, with ND and MD on our OOC schedule. Give me one solid OOC opponent every year, max. This isn't the Big East, we will have Clemson, Louisville and Florida State EVERY YEAR from now on. Add in NC State every year, rotating games with Miami, Va Tech, Ga Tech etc and we cannot afford to be worse than 3-1 OOC. NC State has 8 home games this year and a completely wimpy OOC schedule to start the season. New staff, injured QB and they should be 4-1 after tomorrow. Doeren is getting praised on ESPN's site today as an under the radar first year coach. Wow, he scrapes by Richmond, beats Central Michigan and LA Tech. Oh, and NC State just bought out their return game at Central Michigan. Probably to schedule a home game against a cupcake.

they took a few hundred seats out to add the single ticket luxury boxes.
They also took out a number of rows of seats to open up room for handicapped fans. That happened a lot time ago, probably late 1980s.

who on the radio said that?

they seriously deserve to be fired. that is the most ridiculous thing ive ever read on a forum. re-read that last statement - because that is also a ridiculous comment to make.

Definitely tops "Rutgers and Maryland will never be in the Big Ten"

Great news on the attendance sounds like the Dome will be near capacity. Only downside is if this game gets out of hand early, the crowd may flee and it will definitely hurt future attendance. Really hope Syracuse can keep this a game and keep things interesting. The only downside to the attendance is the hallways/concourses are goign to be a disaster, not looking forward to that mass of humanity.

Not like you to assume worst!

UPDATE:

LETS SELL THIS THING OUT!

1st- 37
2nd- 322
3rd- 1,043

47,860!!!

I counted the first level about 20 minutes ago and there were 60. But I just counted again after your post and you are correct. That's pretty cool...

I counted the first level about 20 minutes ago and there were 60. But I just counted again after your post and you are correct. That's pretty cool...

They might be holding a few of those for alumni walk up as people are saying... I think it's dumb to hold any let them sell.

They might be holding a few of those for alumni walk up as people are saying... I think it's dumb to hold any let them sell.
Somewhere there is someone sitting on a couch who hears the news and says, "Aha, see, if I try to get a walk-up ticket they may be sold out, why bother." :D

I really hope SU comes up with something cool for when they come out of the tunnel. Smoke, new unis, something. But with the crowd on it's feet, roaring, shaking that Dome...it will be unbelievable no matter what.

Sell OUT

I really hope SU comes up with something cool for when they come out of the tunnel. Smoke, new unis, something. But with the crowd on it's feet, roaring, shaking that Dome...it will be unbelievable no matter what.

I just hope the crowd is in their seats when the team comes out. Our fans suck at that.

Just reading these comments is getting me hyped up for this game. LETS GO ORANGE

first heres a little something to help you negotiate the area for your trip to maximize your fun and activities efficiently (think you'll find the locals quite welcoming);

http://www.texanmarktailgate.blogspot.com

As for what's up with the fanbase you bring up an issue that though while talked about a lot, no one has firm answers. We have theories. And here's one such theory(ies).

Historically we're actually a football town with great success (NC, Heisman, great NFL players in the 50+60's), but we became a basketball town with the dome, our coach and with the 80's with Pearl Washington and the gang, this occurred as the school allowed the football fortunes to deteriorate, literally with facilities in the 70's.

My perception (emphasize mine as other will surely refute) is rooted in several theories with one being its is simply logistically and financially easier to properly support a basketball program and this is where the emphasis has been with great success and success begets success.

We are an instructive example for business and sports programs of what NOT to do when it comes to maintaining success of winning program. The decline of the football program was the perfect storm of several factors not the least of which was not maintaining competitive facilities. This was (and still is to a lesser degree as it is finally being addressed), this issue was combined with a administration that wasn't forward thinking enough/modern thinking enough however one wants to phrase it, this in conjunction with coaching blunders.

Whether the case of a staff where the game has passed them by on the field and off and not good enough of leader/CEO type (the end of the Pasqualoni era), resulting in a worsening into mediocrity (.500ish over the last several years with poor recruiting - again somewhat helped out by bad facilities). This, sans the facitlities part, is what just played out over at UConn. Not relating to the players anymore was a part as I knew first hand treating many SU players at the time in my health care practice.

Anyway that's where the slide into the abyss started contributed to in part by a admin. that being too old school was never proactive and rather reactive NOT doing what they needed to do. And then flat out contributing to the alienation of an already somewhat front running fair weather fan base the admin. literally in a front page article told the community "To get a life" ostensibly and assumably outside of following their football team.

This as many in the community had the temerity to want more than mediocrity as that was were things were with no end in sight with it likely to worsen, so many wanted a coaching change. Bad Bad business. And all of that resulted in many doing just that re football as people stayed away in droves while many somehow made the rationalization not to let that apply to hoops (the success of the hoops team vs. non success of football aided in this).

Add in some trying economic times with lost population due to the national transition from a industrial economy to a service economy with a population decline here, general higher costs of living and the fact that the northeast is more of a pro town (us included) than a "college type of town", and all together the result is a foregone conclusion of what's happened here. Like I said earlier the perfect storm.

To make matters worse we then fell head long into the abyss with worst hire in the history of college football, the very nice, but very incompetent GRob error. Enough said on that. So that's nearly a decade of poor football on the field, inept managment and leadership on and off the field and that's what we had to come from. Thats A LOT to overcome. With this game enough time has passed from all that, a savior in coach Marrone pulled the program from the ledge and now things are returning, albeit slowly and maybe/maybe not this weekend, to the success we've had here for decades (40's, 50's, early 60's, 80's and 90's).

You can read the byline of a poster named Tomcat for just how much success we've had here. So companies and programs would be well suited to learn from our past as as I said all of that is a lot to overcome. The good news is now all of those factors have been addressed and changes made and hopefully a future game of this type will not have any problem getting butts in the seats.

And that's we are. In fact this weekend will tell us exactly where we are. Enjoy your time and trip up here.
The Dome helped revitalize the football program. SU became a "basketball school" before the dome was built. In '75 we made it to the final 4. That was the catalyst for more success with the early 80s being a great time for hoops and not so great for football. The dome did help increase excitement for football though it took better recruiting (in part, because of the dome) and wins to bring the program back all the way in the eyes of the fans. In between, we had the Nebraska win which was a football turning point for the team and fans. I really don’t think it was the dome that pushed basketball into the forefront though it did give lots of media attention. The two programs were in different places - One rising and one falling when the dome was built. Eventually in the late 80s and 90s, both were in a good spot. All was good (look at '87 and '96) for both programs.

I don’t think the “get a life” comment had any real effect on attendance. Sure, it rankled some (not really me in the context) but most of those people actually go to the games (but still complain about the comment). I have never heard of anyone who said they stopped going to games as a result of that comment. I have heard people complain about the losing and that is the reason they could not stomach going.

The downturn was the result of losing. The losing was a result of bad coaching and bad recruiting. The bad recruiting was a result of bad recruiters and bad facilities. I think coaching is good. Facilities are going to be better next year. These should help with recruiting as will some good wins (like a win v. Clemson). Better recruiting will mean more wins. More wins will mean higher attendance (see the 90s).

Last edited:
Curious...when and why did the max attendance drop below 50K? Were there renovations that cost seats? Did fire codes / capacity limits change?

A couple of handicapped sections were added, reducing some seats.

SU became a "basketball school" before the dome was built.
----------------------------------------

There is no way SU was considered anything but a football school in 1980.
A bad football School in the 70s, but a football school nevertheless.

I really hope SU comes up with something cool for when they come out of the tunnel. Smoke, new unis, something. But with the crowd on it's feet, roaring, shaking their keys...it will be unbelievable no matter what.

;)

The Dome helped revitalize the football program. SU became a "basketball school" before the dome was built. In '75 we made it to the final 4. That was the catalyst for more success with the early 80s being a great time for hoops and not so great for football. The dome did help increase excitement for football though it took better recruiting (in part, because of the dome) and wins to bring the program back all the way in the eyes of the fans. In between, we had the Nebraska win which was a football turning point for the team and fans. I really don’t think it was the dome that pushed basketball into the forefront though it did give lots of media attention. The two programs were in different places - One rising and one falling when the dome was built. Eventually in the late 80s and 90s, both were in a good spot. All was good (look at '87 and '96) for both programs.

I don’t thing the “get a life” comment had any real effect on attendance. Sure, it rankled some (not really me in the context) but most of those people actually go to the games (but still complain about the comment). I have never heard of anyone who said they stopped going to games as a result of that comment. I have heard people complain about the losing and that is the reason they could not stomach going.

The downturn was the result of losing. The losing was a result of bad coaching and bad recruiting. The bad recruiting was a result of bad recruiters and bad facilities. I think coaching is good. Facilities are going to be better next year. These should help with recruiting as will some good wins (like a win v. Clemson). Better recruiting will mean more wins. More wins will mean higher attendance (see the 90s).

Just curious.

Who was a bad recruiter?

I just came from the box office and it was really crowded up there. There was a steady flow of people coming in and they had all four teller windows open. We redeemed our two free student tickets for our friends and they're in Section 308, row Q. Just judging from the amount of people up there, I'd say we have a pretty good chance to sell a bunch of tickets the rest of the day.

I just came from the box office and it was really crowded up there. There was a steady flow of people coming in and they had all four teller windows open. We redeemed our two free student tickets for our friends and they're in Section 308, row Q. Just judging from the amount of people up there, I'd say we have a pretty good chance to sell a bunch of tickets the rest of the day.

Were they wearing Cuse gear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom