Clemson ticket sales at the moment. | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson ticket sales at the moment.

I can't stand all this talk about being a bball school vs a fball school.

I say WHY THE F NOT BOTH?

Because it's true and opposing teams can't handle the truth. And we're also a lacrosse school. Ironically, Clemson fans want us to respect them while deriding us and knocking on Syracuse. They might want to see who has a few more wins than they do...and that after the worst period in Syracuse football history.

Were they wearing Cuse gear?
Not too much Syracuse gear, but they were all Syracuse fans in my opinion. At least 8 students were up there, most of whom were redeeming their free ticket for Clemson. The free tickets came from having already purchased a Tulane ticket. Although the tickets are assigned seating, they do say STUDENT on them. So, hopefully we have a great student turnout!

Just curious.

Who was a bad recruiter?
I think Coach P near the end and certainly Robinson as evidence by the house cleaning when Marrone arrived. I think the players on the field are much better than under Robinson. I like our recruiting classes better.

there is no way SU was considered anything but a football school in 1980.
A bad football School in the 70s, but a football school nevertheless.

I lived through it and disagree. Louie and Bouie were kings of the hill and no one cared about the football team under Maloney.

I lived through it and disagree. Louie and Bouie were kings of the hill and no one cared about the football team under Maloney.

I lived through it as well. The initial trip to the Final Four was a fluke...a complete surprise...basketball had been so bad until Bing arrived...and in the decade that followed, SU was a strong regional team...definitely not a national team. But SU was still a national brand in football, albeit one that had fallen on hard times almost precisely in time with basketball's rise. But that doesn't make SU a basketball school. Basketball schools don't build 50,000 seat football arena's. JB knew it. SU was a football school. And the Dome was the catalyst to turn the program back around. And while it turned football around, it launched basketball into being a national program which was solidified by Pearl, the Big East and the '87 trip to New Orleans.

I don't argue that basketball reached new levels of excitement surrounding that first trip to the Final Four. But it didn't automatically transfer SU into being a basketball school, nor did the Dome.

The Dome helped revitalize the football program. SU became a "basketball school" before the dome was built. In '75 we made it to the final 4. That was the catalyst for more success with the early 80s being a great time for hoops and not so great for football. The dome did help increase excitement for football though it took better recruiting (in part, because of the dome) and wins to bring the program back all the way in the eyes of the fans. In between, we had the Nebraska win which was a football turning point for the team and fans. I really don’t think it was the dome that pushed basketball into the forefront though it did give lots of media attention. The two programs were in different places - One rising and one falling when the dome was built. Eventually in the late 80s and 90s, both were in a good spot. All was good (look at '87 and '96) for both programs.

I don’t think the “get a life” comment had any real effect on attendance. Sure, it rankled some (not really me in the context) but most of those people actually go to the games (but still complain about the comment). I have never heard of anyone who said they stopped going to games as a result of that comment. I have heard people complain about the losing and that is the reason they could not stomach going.

The downturn was the result of losing. The losing was a result of bad coaching and bad recruiting. The bad recruiting was a result of bad recruiters and bad facilities. I think coaching is good. Facilities are going to be better next year. These should help with recruiting as will some good wins (like a win v. Clemson). Better recruiting will mean more wins. More wins will mean higher attendance (see the 90s).
actually I know quite a few who left after those comments, but other than that I agree with most of what you say. Ironically enough, all these years later, some of these are the ones now I call "casual fans" who are talking about this and will make a game up there, FINALLY!

Given all factors, variables, challenges and limitations this program faces that I listed in that long post, it's quite frankly amazing we've had the history we've had and been as good as we are and hope to get as good again. Go freaking ORANGE!!

Guess I have to repeat myself:

I really cannot stand all the BS talk about being a bball school vs a fball school - who really cares?

and WHY THE F NOT BOTH?

SU is a pro wrestling school.
mike_rotundo2.jpg

Gotta say - when I was there from -87 to 91 - we were most certainly BOTH. And are close to being both again.
Same here. We were also, far and away, the best Lax program at that time. It was a great time to be on the Hill.

I don’t think the “get a life” comment had any real effect on attendance. Sure, it rankled some (not really me in the context) but most of those people actually go to the games (but still complain about the comment). I have never heard of anyone who said they stopped going to games as a result of that comment.
Au contraire mon ami my former next door neighbor cited the get a life comment as the reason he dropped 4 season tickets and has stayed away from the football program. That coupled with the decade that we went through convinced him to stay away. A relative is married to a life-long football supporter, he canceled his packet of season tickets after that remark. Over the years I have dealt with many athletes in various sports and they hardened their attitude against Syracuse University after those remarks and the smugness that the AD showed toward this "one horse town."

Related: The Syracuse Chiefs just moved the Simone's out of the front office. The reasons are many but one remark stood out. Bill Dutch, the spokesperson for the BOT said, "Now if you ask someone at the ballpark a question, you will get a polite reply and be helped. Treated like a valued customer. There are times at the Dome when personnel can treat customers rudely. Most are great people but those with the bad attitudes need to be weeded out.

Au contraire mon ami my former next door neighbor cited the get a life comment as the reason he dropped 4 season tickets and has stayed away from the football program. That coupled with the decade that we went through convinced him to stay away. A relative is married to a life-long football supporter, he canceled his packet of season tickets after that remark. Over the years I have dealt with many athletes in various sports and they hardened their attitude against Syracuse University after those remarks and the smugness that the AD showed toward this "one horse town."

Related: The Syracuse Chiefs just moved the Simone's out of the front office. The reasons are many but one remark stood out. Bill Dutch, the spokesperson for the BOT said, "Now if you ask someone at the ballpark a question, you will get a polite reply and be helped. Treated like a valued customer. There are times at the Dome when personnel can treat customers rudely. Most are great people but those with the bad attitudes need to be weeded out.

While I agree that comment was absolutely ridiculous and uncalled for, it feels like a life time ago. If they can't see how things have changed in the positive for the most part under TGD, then I have to question there real Syracuse Football passion to begin with.

I think Coach P near the end and certainly Robinson as evidence by the house cleaning when Marrone arrived. I think the players on the field are much better than under Robinson. I like our recruiting classes better.

Interesting observation.

I wonder why P lost his ability to recruit? Could it be lack of money, no weight room, and Astroturf in the Dome?

Regarding Robinson, it is noteworthy that faced with a do or die season in the spring of 2008, he actually had a pretty good recruiting year - Sales, Marinovich, Dan Vaughn, Averin Collier, Mike Jones, Preaster, Nick Speller, Chandler Jones, Ant Bailey, Dorian Graham, David Stevens, Ryan Nassib.

The demise of the program was plain and simple. Lack of money and lack of investment.

Interesting observation.

I wonder why P lost his ability to recruit? Could it be lack of money, no weight room, and Astroturf in the Dome?

Regarding Robinson, it is noteworthy that faced with a do or die season in the spring of 2008, he actually had a pretty good recruiting year - Sales, Marinovich, Dan Vaughn, Averin Collier, Mike Jones, Preaster, Nick Speller, Chandler Jones, Ant Bailey, Dorian Graham, David Stevens, Ryan Nassib.

The demise of the program was plain and simple. Lack of money and lack of investment.

Perhaps. Although P failed to recruit well at UCONN with some of the best facilities in the east.

Section 329 is down to 63 seats as of a few minutes ago.

Yup. Looks like 40 or so seats in the 328 side of 329 sold really quickly...

It turned to light blue too (meaning light availability)...only 5 left

Get a Life and One Horse Town were obviously PR disasters (whether or not people think they had a point is irrelevant). People in such leadership positions need to have cooler heads.

Having said that, they also coincided with the team's performance slipping. The team with the exciting offense suddenly didn't have one. My point being that if Shaw told people to Get a Life after the 3 straight losses in early 1997, I don't think it would have impacted 1998's season ticket sales.

Interesting observation.

Not sure I would note Preaster and Collier as good recruits. Preaster never made it on campus (on any for football) and Collier never really played. God bless them though.

I don't know why P lost his ability to recruit but money and facilities are a factor. GRob was ok sometimes but the general quality was very poor as evidenced by the house cleaning Marrone did. He's not a dumb, he didn't let go of players he thought were good. I think the facilities issue is not fully addressed until the IPF so Marrone and Shafer were handicapped too. I like the classes those 2 brought in more than GRobs. I love SU players and don't like to speak ill of them, but we had some dead weight...and some of them even played.