Coach Bob McKenney Out At J-D... | Syracusefan.com

Coach Bob McKenney Out At J-D...

What happened? I read in the paper that they had a big meeting in support of him, but I never heard what he was accused of.

JD isn't going to make this kind of decision unless they have some real reason for dismissing him. This is a lot more than just a few complaining parents. I doubt this is something they really wanted to do.

He should go coach at Fowler (ok Corcoran or Nottingham) and recruit kids from out of the suburbs to come play there. Get them all in Say Yes and then they can walk on at SU during the scholarship reduction period. Win-win.

JD isn't going to make this kind of decision unless they have some real reason for dismissing him. This is a lot more than just a few complaining parents. I doubt this is something they really wanted to do.

a few complaining parents + 2 people on the board hating Bob + Preston Shumpert wanting to coach

a few complaining parents + 2 people on the board hating Bob + Preston Shumpert wanting to coach
even so JD has been rolling out some great players for a while. Why bring in someone that doesn't have the coaching experience unless Shumpert does?

sounds like he pissed off the wrong power tripping school admin

Curious if he was the one that said calipari tried to pay off dajuan.

Unfortunately we'll only get his side as the BOE and Supt. can't/won't comment on personnel matters.

That can't be true as UK never pays players to come play there.

If memory serves the offer was something more like we will get your girlfriend a really nice job here and you'll be in easy classes that don't take any time up.

You don't fire a successful, well-loved coach unless you feel you have to. This is a sad, worrisome situation.

Having been on various boards, including school boards, I am inclined to agree here. Typically when a move like this is made, there is a sound reason that can't be discussed due to legal issues, but the topic eventually sees daylight. That said, school boards are a hornets nest of politics, and all it takes is a few pissed off parents to make such a change. Coaches are annually appointed and don't have the same protections as teachers. It's sadly much easier to get rid of a bad or ineffective coach than it is to get rid of a truly horrendous teacher.

I know this fella is far from ineffective or horrendous, or even mediocrity as a coach, which leads me to believe either parental politics or some form of inappropriate behavior. I've seen it happen to coaches with multiple state championships in their sport. After the initial outcry, when the dust settles and the reasons quietly surface, it's no surprise at all.

No idea the specifics of this case. But I do wish communities were as interested in the arts and academic subjects as they are in sports.

It seems he defied the wrong admin. And it also seems they wanted to send a message that parents/community/wildly successful coaches are powerless when it comes to defying admin.

Good luck in the future, J-D

I'd like to add that almost the same situation occurred at CNS with their hugely successful softball coach. He was ousted after many years and much public outcry. The reason? He benched a starter for skipping state semi-finals to go to her sr ball. The family saw it as bullying, even though the commitments were made clear at the beginning of the season. The community, ex-players and everyone else besides the family had no say in the matter.

Last edited:
He needs to move back to Vermont and take over the south burlington program. I'd love for my son to play for him in 3 years. I know at least three former players of his and they are all great guys who are also successful in life. I'll take that.

The last thing I want to do is start speculation, but I heard a rumor (from an unreliable source so take this with a grain of salt) that he MAY have been involved with Boeheim. Not sure what that exactly means but maybe that could be the story behind the scenes?

That can't be true as UK never pays players to come play there.

I know UK recruited Coleman but he (setting aside the injury factor) does not seem like the kind of big that Cal likes. He tends to like athletic big men that run the floor and cover guys out on the perimeter. As for the payment comment- just wondering- has there ever been a proven case where Calipari paid a player during his coaching career?

As for the payment comment- just wondering- has there ever been a proven case where Calipari paid a player during his coaching career?

OJ was acquitted. Just sayin...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom