Coach Bob McKenney Out At J-D... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Coach Bob McKenney Out At J-D...

It seems he defied the wrong admin. And it also seems they wanted to send a message that parents/community/wildly successful coaches are powerless when it comes to defying admin.

Good luck in the future, J-D

I'd like to add that almost the same situation occurred at CNS with their hugely successful softball coach. He was ousted after many years and much public outcry. The reason? He benched a starter for skipping state semi-finals to go to her sr ball. The family saw it as bullying, even though the commitments were made clear at the beginning of the season. The community, ex-players and everyone else besides the family had no say in the matter.
Not sure about the principal, or any other administrators, but the Superintendent has been in her current position since the 90's I believe.

We know Boeheim worked with a street agent, Calipari's one situation that I am aware of involved a booster with illegal payments of some sort. There were suspicions of payments involving the recent center at Kentucky that SU was involved with early on, nothing substantiated. Highly doubtful that coaches would get involved in direct payments but boosters are another issue.

We know Boeheim worked with a street agent, Calipari's one situation that I am aware of involved a booster with illegal payments of some sort. There were suspicions of payments involving the recent center at Kentucky that SU was involved with early on, nothing substantiated. Highly doubtful that coaches would get involved in direct payments but boosters are another issue.

Yeah I guess boosters are capable of anything. People like to point to Calipari as the poster boy of illegal recruiting tactics because of the vacated wins at UMass and Memphis. The facts, as I know them to be, are that Marcus Camby accepted $40 K from an agent and Derrick Rose had somebody take the SAT for him (although he still denies this). Calipari was not cited for any involvement in either case. That seems plausible to me that he would not get the blame for that. The other issue was that it was revealed that Rose's brother traveled with the team for free which amounted to a benefit of approx. $1,700. That's not good but hardly the crime of the century.

All of the Memphis and UMass stuff aside, I don't understand why UK or even its boosters would need to pay players that are likely one and done. They pretty much have the pick of whomever they want. A recruit hears that the team has some of the best facilities in the country, sold out 23 K every night, top 5 program for pretty much eternity, tons of 1st round draft picks that have largely done well in the NBA and a coach that is well regarded for preparing kids to play at the next level. With all that it would seem unlikely that UK would have to resort to paying players. If anything that is the one thing they could do that would blow the hole thing up.

Mckenney will not hold presser tomorrow. Will instead release a statement.

Yeah I guess boosters are capable of anything. People like to point to Calipari as the poster boy of illegal recruiting tactics because of the vacated wins at UMass and Memphis. The facts, as I know them to be, are that Marcus Camby accepted $40 K from an agent and Derrick Rose had somebody take the SAT for him (although he still denies this). Calipari was not cited for any involvement in either case. That seems plausible to me that he would not get the blame for that. The other issue was that it was revealed that Rose's brother traveled with the team for free which amounted to a benefit of approx. $1,700. That's not good but hardly the crime of the century.

Based upon what the NCAA held Boeheim accountable for, I think Capipari would definitely be held responsible for the agent payment and the travel.

All of the Memphis and UMass stuff aside, I don't understand why UK or even its boosters would need to pay players that are likely one and done. They pretty much have the pick of whomever they want. A recruit hears that the team has some of the best facilities in the country, sold out 23 K every night, top 5 program for pretty much eternity, tons of 1st round draft picks that have largely done well in the NBA and a coach that is well regarded for preparing kids to play at the next level. With all that it would seem unlikely that UK would have to resort to paying players. If anything that is the one thing they could do that would blow the hole thing up.

I agree with you about Calipari, not about the boosters. Boosters are never satisifed.

The reason I agree with you about Calipari is what I heard on some program on ESPN last Saturday. They were talking about recruiting and said that, on the high-level AAU circuit, everyone talks (just like anywhere else) and, on that circuit, players and parents believe that Calipari is #1 and K is #2 in terms of their ability to get players to the pros.

That is an awfully powerful recruiting tool...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom