Cole Swider returning ??? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Swider returning ???

You can hate the way JB handles his pressers. You can get on JB. He gets paid a lot of money and is a big boy and coaches catch chit all the time. But if people are lashing out at Julie or Buddy or Jimmy, that’s garbage. Those people aren’t SU fans and are just aholes. When SU loses they probably kick their dog too.
I do not think it was Buddy, Jimmy or Julie ever, 99% JB. You spin for years. Easy to see. They were byproducts. So easy to see ridiculous favortism. That was not them, it was him. Primarily for Buddy but not good. However that kid, Buddy. What a heart. Jimmy too. I wish we could have helped buddy out more, that was not his choice. Kadary, Symir.... People are not stupid. We have eyes and brains. And I love Syracuse University. I also love the last press conference where Buddy said I got this to his dad. He touched my heart. Like his mama I am sure.

I do not think it was Buddy, Jimmy or Julie ever, 99% JB. You spin for years. Easy to see. They were byproducts. So easy to see ridiculous favortism. That was not them, it was him. Primarily for Buddy but not good. However that kid, Buddy. What a heart. Jimmy too. I wish we could have helped buddy out more, that was not his choice. Kadary, Symir... People are not stupid. We have eyes and brains. And I love Syracuse University. I also love the last press conference where Buddy said I got this to his dad. He touched my heart. Like his mama I am sure.
Good post.
This is honestly the take most people have on the situation.
JB’s attitude and previous behavior caused a lot of this.
Not the kids.

Here’s my 2 cents. This is my conjecture piecing together tidbits I’ve heard and knowing human nature.

I think JB actually wanted Jimmy and Buddy to return and that was known internally. He simply didn’t want his sons legacy to be tarnished by a sub par season and wanted to give them a chance at redemption.

I don’t think Cole saw a benefit of returning in this circumstance and indicated he was leaving…and I that was fine with JB.

This was probably where we were up until JB leaked the idea of Jimmy applying for a waiver - which was about the time things really looked a losing season was possible, if not likely…and the natives were really getting restless.

Then, I honestly think Juli stepped in. Juli puts up a brave face, but I don’t think this season has been fun for her at all. Fans can be unbelievably mean and insensitive. I saw her plenty at road games…not so much at the dome. I don’t think she wanted any part of this happening again next year in what might have been growing public discontent. It’s not how any of them wanted this season to go, but I think she made the call. Remember, you always recruit mom….she’s the decision maker!

So now that it appears JB3 and Buddy are indeed gone, there is a mutual interest from Coach and Cole for him to return.

Cole can be more of a focus of the offense. And JB gets a piece of a puzzle so he can have a successful season next year that he desperately wants.

So that’s my take on how this has shifted.

Edit: just saw Mike Waters clarification….but I think what I said above holds true and that Swider is seriously considering a return.
This pretty much makes sense. My own two cents would add that after the way Cole caught fire he has already started making a name for himself. I think he waits as long as he can to make a decision, and if he gets an offer to play anywhere, even overseas, he will be gone. Right now he is on a high note ending and it doesn't get much better than that. I am about 70% he will be gone, but it was nice to see the player Nova recruited him to be and we ended up witnessing.

I do not think it was Buddy, Jimmy or Julie ever, 99% JB. You spin for years. Easy to see. They were byproducts. So easy to see ridiculous favortism. That was not them, it was him. Primarily for Buddy but not good. However that kid, Buddy. What a heart. Jimmy too. I wish we could have helped buddy out more, that was not his choice. Kadary, Symir... People are not stupid. We have eyes and brains. And I love Syracuse University. I also love the last press conference where Buddy said I got this to his dad. He touched my heart. Like his mama I am sure.

I don’t think you understand what was being talked about.

Cole should go on and get on a career track and have a family and mortgage and an investment portfolio and then when he gets older and has aches and pain and old age health problems he can say to himself. "I would give almost anything now to be able to play 1 more year of college basketball".

Cole should go on and get on a career track and have a family and mortgage and an investment portfolio and then when he gets older and has aches and pain and old age health problems he can say to himself. "I would give almost anything now to be able to play 1 more year of college basketball".
Are you paid to drive responses?
My god you want Buddy and Jimmy back but say Cole should go.
You are something.

Are you paid to drive responses?
My god you want Buddy and Jimmy back but say Cole should go.
You are something.
I should be remunerated instead I get banned. The post I made is hyperbolic.

I should be remunerated instead I get banned. The post I made is hyperbolic.
No offense but with some of your takes that wasn’t obviously a joke.

But I believe you it was. As it could be interrupted that way.

You want Cole or James back next year if we could only have one?

Maybe he enjoys playing college bball. He's not going to the NBA so why not come back?

No offense but with some of your takes that wasn’t obviously a joke.

But I believe you it was. As it could be interrupted that way.

You want Cole or James back next year if we could only have one?
James became a much more skilled ACC player at the end of the year than the early season. Cole really has peaked and could have a monster offensive season if he were to return. All those guys are highly intelligent and motivated and will have great professional lives in their careers, sports or work, but you only have youth for a short time the ability to compete at that level.

James became a much more skilled ACC player at the end of the year than the early season. Cole really has peaked and could have a monster offensive season if he were to return. All those guys are highly intelligent and motivated and will have great professional lives in their careers, sports or work, but you only have youth for a short time the ability to compete at that level.
So if we could only have 1 back next year who do you want James or Cole?

Cole is younger than James.

So if we could only have 1 back next year who do you want James or Cole?

Cole is younger than James.
Cole, because I don't want to listen to people bashing James all next year. I honestly think they grade out pretty equal, all things considered.

Cole, because I don't want to listen to people bashing James all next year. I honestly think they grade out pretty equal, all things considered.
Except for the fact Cole has a better offensive and defensive BPM

Cole is clearly the better player.
Cole is positive in both defense and offense. James sadly isn’t.
James if he were a role player and not 4th in the ACC in MPG is fine depth guy.

Except for the fact Cole has a better offensive and defensive BPM

Cole is clearly the better player.
Cole is positive in both defense and offense. James sadly isn’t.
James if he were a role player and not 4th in the ACC in MPG is fine depth guy.
I would give Cole a slight edge, but I mean James could put up 25-30 any night at this point like he did against Duke and Notre Dame. His game has matured, the angles he takes to the bucket, his footwork down low and he shot almost 38% from 3.

We know Cole wants to be a sportscaster down the road. That is one of the reasons Syracuse was a finalist when he was in HS and a big reason he transferred here late.

Coming back for another season gives him more chances to take Newhouse courses in his chosen field.

He wasn’t happy with his role at Villanova. Wanted more freedom on offense. And more playing time.

JB promised him he would get those things and he delivered. Cole always thought he was capable of taking over games and scoring 30 plus points and at Syracuse, he had the freedom to make it happen.

It has to be tempting to think, if I could do this being the 3rd (or 4th or even 5th) option on the offense this season, what could I do next season? Especially there is a true pass first PG running the offense next year.

Maybe he wants to see what he can do as the man? Maybe he wants to end his college career on a more positive note?

Guessing experts are telling him his future as of today is playing basketball in Europe. That is where the best money is for a player like him. Maybe he is thinking it might be prudent to avoid playing over there right now? The uncertainty of COVID is bad enough but there could be a full scale war over there by basketball season next year.

There are lots of reasons for him to consider staying.
My post has nothing to do with him getting an education or working towards a future goal. It’s about is college basketball a sport for college age kids or guys that should be 3 or 4 year outside their undergrad.

Yes I know other team have players who are the same and I don’t agree with it with them either.

I also think this “post grad” year for high school kids is crazy. Look at Benny. He had this weird year at IMG that obviously didnt help him and now he’s a 20 year old true freshman and behind the behind the 8ball.

My post has nothing to do with him getting an education or working towards a future goal. It’s about is college basketball a sport for college age kids or guys that should be 3 or 4 year outside their undergrad.

Yes I know other team have players who are the same and I don’t agree with it with them either.

I also think this “post grad” year for high school kids is crazy. Look at Benny. He had this weird year at IMG that obviously didnt help him and now he’s a 20 year old true freshman and behind the behind the 8ball.
You are entitled to your opinion. Some people take a lot of factors into consideration when making important decisions.

I hope Cole does.

I would give Cole a slight edge, but I mean James could put up 25-30 any night at this point like he did against Duke and Notre Dame. His game has matured, the angles he takes to the bucket, his footwork down low and he shot almost 38% from 3.
No, not any night. He can be effective against some teams, but most had him figured out. Like others, I think he would have been best suited to come off the bench.

No, not any night. He can be effective against some teams, but most had him figured out. Like others, I think he would have been best suited to come off the bench.
Not every night, any given night. He was effective against a lot of teams, including Duke.

Poor Cole, he will be seen as a senior citizen should he come back to Syracuse and play another season. He has all this experience and will play against opponents who are 6 or 7 years younger than him. On the other hand it is perfectly legal and he just might be able to dominate on many nights. That is the dilemma. SU is providing basketball and non basketball guidance on his future.

Poor Cole, he will be seen as a senior citizen should he come back to Syracuse and play another season. He has all this experience and will play against opponents who are 6 or 7 years younger than him. On the other hand it is perfectly legal and he just might be able to dominate on many nights. That is the dilemma. SU is providing basketball and non basketball guidance on his future.
Poor Cole? Naw, not by a long shot. He gets another year to be BMOC, and a legit chance to play himself into a 1st round pick...on the AD's dime no less! If the finances are not an issue and he can spare another year studying at Newhouse, it'll be well worth it. He's already old anyway...what's another 12 months? ;)

Last edited:
Poor Cole? Naw, not by a long shot. He gets another year to be BMOC, and a legit chance to play himself to a 1st round pick...on the AD's dime no less! If the finances are not an issue and he can spare another year studying at Newhouse, it'll be well worth it. He's already old anyway...what's another 12 months? ;)
No 1st round picks have to take that many years to prove it. He’s rounding into a nice college player. Might be an end of the bench NBA guy, maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom